Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: ***Coaching changes thread 2014-15 edition***

The sports news out here in the Bay area have assumed Harbaugh is gone after this season for quite a while. It's talked about casually as if it is fait accompli with the occasional speculation of where he will go. Michigan comes up, but curiously, the Raiders comes up more often. The thing about players not liking him is rumored, but I guess the rift between him and the GM is considered fact.

Kind of reminds me of when Bill Walsh coached the niners and was always referred to as a genius. When Walsh retired, one of the high profile players commented that he felt like he had 200lbs of genius taken off his shoulders.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Is Patterson not on anyones radar? Has he just made it known that he's not leaving TCU?
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    Is Patterson not on anyones radar? Has he just made it known that he's not leaving TCU?
    He's been pretty clear that he is happy at TCU. I think he knows he's in a good situation (with an administration that is hands off). I'm sure if the right job opened, and the money was there, he'd bolt.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The sports news out here in the Bay area have assumed Harbaugh is gone after this season for quite a while. It's talked about casually as if it is fait accompli with the occasional speculation of where he will go. Michigan comes up, but curiously, the Raiders comes up more often. The thing about players not liking him is rumored, but I guess the rift between him and the GM is considered fact.

Kind of reminds me of when Bill Walsh coached the niners and was always referred to as a genius. When Walsh retired, one of the high profile players commented that he felt like he had 200lbs of genius taken off his shoulders.
    I know the 49ers would much rather he go to the Raiders (so they can get something in return), and if he wants to stay in the NFL that would make sense.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

How long before Saban gets a raise, if Harbaugh is being offered $8 million a year? How long before *Bob* gets a raise, if that's the case?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    How long before Saban gets a raise, if Harbaugh is being offered $8 million a year? How long before *Bob* gets a raise, if that's the case?
    Both probably happen before I get a raise.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Hypothetically, let's say a certain amount of money could guarantee your school a national championship. Is it Saban's $8 million? If so, would you be willing to contribute to the pot to get there?

So, hypothetically, you drop $8 million into the piggy bank. Then, your championship is guaranteed. Suddenly, every game is sold out, TV ratings and merchandise sales are through the roof as nobody wants to miss one "I was there" moment of this magical season in the making.

And then, Baylor stomps OU at home for the third loss, guaranteeing no playoff berth, because there are no guarantees in college football, no matter how much you pay your head coach up front.

Do you feel cheated? Do you feel that you paid your head coach way too much money to not get your national championship? Imagine how our boosters that have to foot that Stoops-and-his-assistants millions and millions bill feel every year

Also, I am expanding this thread to include NFL firings and hirings since so many college coaches say EFF IT and turn pro these days. Please post them as you see them and I will add them to the master list.

vCash

I wouldn't pay any amount of money for a truly guaranteed championship. That takes all of the fun out of football. There's no suspense. no thrill. No anticipation. No point.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The problem is boosters are used to getting their way on everything when they drop serious cash on it. They forget this is a lot like the election process. Their candidate/cause is up against other people just as committed to winning as they are.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I wouldn't pay any amount of money for a truly guaranteed championship. That takes all of the fun out of football. There's no suspense. no thrill. No anticipation. No point.
    Well, yes and no. Millions of men will, this very night, pay prostitutes good money precisely to take the possibility of failure out of the game. There's a market for guaranteed win.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Administrator
    vCash

Not a hiring/firing, but I read today that the University of Memphis renegotiated Justin Fuentes' contract. He was making a little over $900K/year. His new contract is a 5 year deal, paying him $1.4 million a year. It increases by $25K/year over the term of the contract. Fuentes just finished the best season in school history going 9-3.

You know he's going to be a hot commodity soon. In a strange turn of events, Memphis didn't change his buyout clause, and it remains at $500K.

vCash

It's too bad Memphis isn't a quality school with good athletics that we could invite the Big 12 or something. They seem like a geographic fit at least. As for the buyout issue... it seems that schools have to pay it more often than coaches/others so maybe it's wise to keep it low

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Not a hiring/firing, but I read today that the University of Memphis renegotiated Justin Fuentes' contract. He was making a little over $900K/year. His new contract is a 5 year deal, paying him $1.4 million a year. It increases by $25K/year over the term of the contract. Fuentes just finished the best season in school history going 9-3.

You know he's going to be a hot commodity soon. In a strange turn of events, Memphis didn't change his buyout clause, and it remains at $500K.
    You know that that last was not an oversight. My suspicion is that they were unwilling to go higher on the salary, so they bargained a lower salary than he wanted....but kept the buy out stable. Now he can more easily bail....but he has to keep churning out the wins in order to attract schools who'd go higher than a buck and a half. Not the prettiest of arrangements but people are strange.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

It's actually brilliant for a mid-major. It's like the NFL quarterback dealios of recent years that are more team friendly by offering teams an out if the QBs suck, or pay the QBs highly if they don't. Sure, having fully guaranteed contracts with more money is the goal, but if you're young and unproven, why not earn the higher cash by proving yourself?

Or suck like Colin Kaepernick and risk getting cut a year into the deal

vCash

Massive update: All college openings currently filled, but because college is a pipeline to the NFL in more ways than players, I have included all announced NFL GM and HC openings. Those are now on the "master list" on the thread's first post.

Post changes when you see 'em! Happy New Year!