Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Signal Accusations at Tech

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    TDTW, if you harbor any illusions that the SEC is not filled to the brim with back-biting, BS and money grubbing, then you're kidding yourself. The SEC is a large conference and thus they produce, annually, 1-2 outstanding FB teams and 1-2 basketball teams. They are also a nice neat little ball so that everyone is kind of close together and kind of from the same part of the country (though I'd argue that South Georgia is a different, and very much worse, planet.)

I certainly wouldn't have wept had we gone to the SEC, though doing that would have essentially thrown out 20 years of trying to improve OU's academics and put the kibosh of that ambition pretty much forever. And it's too bad that Deloss could not be held in check enough to hold onto TAMC, Misery, Nebs and Co if for no other reason than critical mass. And that's what I wish we'd done. I'm an old Big 8 guy at heart. But, given the options, what we should have done is go west.

But those options are done. There's still more than enough talent for us to field championship teams if we pull our heads out of our anii and get on with it.
    You pretend that the academics have anything to do with athletics. They do not. If so, then require the schools to accept the athletes under the same standards are other students, okay? It's a joke.

As far as going to the SEC versus staying in what is now Southwest Conference Lite, yes there are politics; but, the money is split evenly. OU and Texas did not want an even split of money. They call the shots in the SWC Lite and wanted to keep it that way.

And, they other schools in SWC Lite didn't argue because they know they are just a step away from Conference USA, anyway. Their clout level nationally is dick.

Baylor, for example, is so paranoid about the real football schools going that they threatened to sue Texas A&M for leaving the conference. What are they going to do when Texas and OU decide to leave? It's not our fault that they suck and no one is inviting them into their conferences, okay?

We had a chance to jump out and play better competition while making the same or better money. Castiglione got way too chummy with Dodds at Texas, and so we are stuck here. Boren is f*cking lost anyway. He had to be forced to even deal with something as trivial as a band issue...that little faggot they hired had screwed up the Pride and he didn't care until the money started rebelling.

So, Boren in dealing with bigger issues like conferences? He'd be the most lost person in the room. Boren should stick to the academics side of the equation and leave the athletics to people who might know what is happening.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

That swc lite is clever!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Anger much, Wall?
    Maybe Boren is trying to build a university the football team can be proud of. Academic standards of the institution as a whole matter more than those of the athletic department. And, frankly, though I'm sure there are more than one or two athletes who'd struggle to gain admission were they not athletes, there are also more than a few who do just fine in the classroom.
    And, moving to the SEC would be a step down, academically, for OU as an institution.
    And, since it's Boren's job to mind the future of the University, not just the team(s), he made a good call; though I think it might have made even more sense to go to the Pac12.
    I'll repeat, there is enough talent out there for us to recruit, and compete, at a national level. That we have not, of late, is a combination of bad luck (injuries, the predilection of some recruits to play with themselves in public, yadda, yadda) and failures of the coaching staff to recruit, coach, motivate and game plan at a national level.
    I like that Boren and Castiglione are seen as supportive to Bob, by Bob and by others. I don't like strife in my management teams. On the other hand, one would hope that very serious discussions have been had about what needs to go on henceforth.
    Going to the SEC would not have resolved those failings, nor would it do so today.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Academic standards of the institution as a whole matter more than those of the athletic department.
    Jihad in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Selamat Mesra
    Selamat Aleikum

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Kingsbury is starting to sound like Mac Brown.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Baylor, for example, is so paranoid about the real football schools going that they threatened to sue Texas A&M for leaving the conference. What are they going to do when Texas and OU decide to leave? It's not our fault that they suck and no one is inviting them into their conferences, okay?
    This is absolutely false and a lie, but it's indicative of the kind of bull**** nonsense you constantly insist on posting.

Baylor never once threatened to sue Texas A&M for leaving. The SEC, prior to accepting Aggie, asked that Aggie obtain legal waivers from Big XII-member schools in order to shield themselves from any possible legal action resulting in a breach of contract. Baylor never ever said it was going to sue. Baylor refused to waive its legal rights -- there's a big big ****ing difference. But please please continue to spout off this bull**** nonsense along with "ANN RICHARDS GOT BAYLOR INTO THE BIG XII!!!"

Ignorance is a virtue, eha?

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    ANN RICHARDS GOT BAYLOR INTO THE BIG XII!!!
    I'm sure it didn't hurt that Gov. Richards was Baylor and not, say, TCU or Houston or heaven forbid, a rabid aggie full of reveille rabies.

You lie with aggie collie, you get aggie collie fleas

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I'm sure it didn't hurt that Gov. Richards was Baylor and not, say, TCU or Houston or heaven forbid, a rabid aggie full of reveille rabies.

You lie with aggie collie, you get aggie collie fleas
    She didn't give a **** about Baylor, football, or Baylor football.......in that order.

vCash

And, moving to the SEC would be a step down, academically, for OU as an institution.
    I'm not sure that would be true. Using US News rankings:

SEC has #16 (Vandy), #48 (Florida), #62 (Georgia), #68 (A&M), #88 (Alabama), #99 (Missouri), #103 (Auburn), #106 (Tenn), #113 (South Carolina), #129 (LSU), #129 (Kentucky), #135 (Arkansas), #148 (Ole Miss), #156 (Miss St.)

Big 12 has #53 (Texas), #71 (Baylor), #76 (TCU), #106 (ISU), #106 (KU), #106 (OU), #142 (KSU), #145 (OSU), #156 (Tex Tech), #168 (WVU)

Looks to me that at the bottom the two are very comparable but SEC certainly has the advantage at the top.

I know there are some negative stereotypes associated with the south and may play a role but by actual rankings the SEC has a slight edge.

Now, of course if you think OU still has a shot at the PAC or Big10 then the SEC would be a big step down from those two.

vCash

I would contest the US News Rankings on the basis of what I've seen coming out of the SEC schools and the classes I've sat through at Florida and LSU. Anecdotallly, Florida typically ranks quite high amongst 'Party Schools' and then somehow scores well on academics, as well. Last I checked being drunk and stoned (which is what the code word 'party' means) was not a pathway to high scholarly achievement. Finally, quoting one guidance counselor at a private Florida high school regarding one of her charges, "Well, we've got him headed to Alabama as a safety (he was rejected by Florida, Florida State and LSU) school. If you can fog a mirror, you can get into Alabama." She's Jacksonville based, so I would assume reasonably familiar with schools in that area.

vCash

I would contest the US News Rankings on the basis of what I've seen coming out of the SEC schools and the classes I've sat through at Florida and LSU. Anecdotallly, Florida typically ranks quite high amongst 'Party Schools' and then somehow scores well on academics, as well. Last I checked being drunk and stoned (which is what the code word 'party' means) was not a pathway to high scholarly achievement. Finally, quoting one guidance counselor at a private Florida high school regarding one of her charges, "Well, we've got him headed to Alabama as a safety (he was rejected by Florida, Florida State and LSU) school. If you can fog a mirror, you can get into Alabama." She's Jacksonville based, so I would assume reasonably familiar with schools in that area.
    That may be true but we're talking about reputation and the US News has a lot of sway in overall reputation. Schools try their hardest to sway the US News rankings.

In any case, what conference you belong to really has almost no impact academically in most conferences. I know the Big 10 has a lot of academic ties to other Big 10 schools but I don't think the Big 12 does that. So it's really all about reputation.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    She didn't give a **** about Baylor, football, or Baylor football.......in that order.
    Take out the "football" part and she has a lot in common with this board

Sans you, of course

vCash

Baylor, lone lawsuit hold out:

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/...-from-leaving/

Baylor is doing anything it can to block Texas A&M from leaving for the Southeastern Conference. It has set up a web site encouraging fans to raise the roof in support of the Big 12, and now it’s the lone holdout threatening legal action against the SEC and the Aggies.

Homos.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Discussion of Baylor's then-pointless legal threats:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...o-merit-090711

If Baylor isn't a party to the contract, and many judges would probably say it isn't, then there's no foundation for Baylor to sue upon interfering with the contract. Especially when, as is this case here, the other member instititutions contracts remain unimpacted.

Without damages you can't have a claim of tortious interference. And I'll be damned if I can come up with actual damages for Baylor.

Dopes.

vCash

Baylor, lone lawsuit hold out:

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/...-from-leaving/

Baylor is doing anything it can to block Texas A&M from leaving for the Southeastern Conference. It has set up a web site encouraging fans to raise the roof in support of the Big 12, and now it’s the lone holdout threatening legal action against the SEC and the Aggies.

Homos.
    You're posting a blot parroting the same damned false line. Find me an official statement by Baylor whereby we said we would pursuit legal action if Aggie tried to lose. We ALWAYS maintained that our refusal was based upon an unwillingness to waive our legal rights in the future.

vCash

Isn't it kind of a moot point at this point, seeing how Aggy already left for the SEC and is as irrelevant as ever, except when it comes to Stoops preseason soundbites.

Why are we discussing Baylor football. Even the College Football Playoff committee isn't discussing Baylor football.

vCash

Just keep praying that Texas and OU don't jump ship. Because if they do, your beloved Baylor and the rest of the leftover schools will be in some conglomerate of athletic rejects that floats between the C-USA and Mountain West.

But, who know...maybe the Mountain West would be willing to take ya'll in.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

La tech, Memphis, smu, n Texas, Texas state, Baylor, univ ark lil rock, arkie state. Who else could they add?

vCash

Just keep praying that Texas and OU don't jump ship. Because if they do, your beloved Baylor and the rest of the leftover schools will be in some conglomerate of athletic rejects that floats between the C-USA and Mountain West.

But, who know...maybe the Mountain West would be willing to take ya'll in.
    Kind of our grapes for both to leave the conference just because of an inability to beat us...