Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Breaking down the OU offensive calls in first half.

Possession 1

1st and 10 at OKLA 23 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    2nd and 10 at OKLA 23 Samaje Perine run for 8 yds to the Okla 31
    3rd and 2 at OKLA 31 Samaje Perine run for 10 yds to the Okla 41 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at OKLA 41 Samaje Perine run for 2 yds to the Okla 43
    2nd and 8 at OKLA 43 Cody Thomas pass complete to Durron Neal for 5 yds to the Okla 48
    3rd and 3 at OKLA 48 Cody Thomas pass complete to Aaron Ripkowski for 6 yds to the TexTc 46 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at TTU 46 Samaje Perine run for no gain to the TexTc 46
    2nd and 10 at TTU 46 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    3rd and 10 at TTU 46 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    4th and 10 at TTU 46 Jed Barnett punt for 33 yds, downed at the TexTc 13

We did start out throwing the ball but then went heavy run. Then completed a couple of passes. Only after a run of no gain did we feel the need to pass. (Sure, on this possession we could have run on 2nd and 10.)

Possession 2

1st and 10 at OKLA 25 Keith Ford run for 2 yds to the Okla 27 OKLAHOMA Penalty, Offensive Holding (-10 Yards) to the Okla 17
    1st and 18 at OKLA 17 Keith Ford run for 1 yd to the Okla 18
    2nd and 17 at OKLA 18 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    3rd and 17 at OKLA 18 OKLAHOMA Penalty, False Start (-5 Yards) to the Okla 13
    3rd and 22 at OKLA 13 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    4th and 22 at OKLA 13 Jed Barnett punt for 33 yds, downed at the Okla 46

Possession starts with an ineffective run and holding. We try to run again and it is not effective. Then we're stuck at 2 and 17 and are forced to pass.

Possession 3

1st and 10 at OKLA 7 Keith Ford run for 7 yds to the Okla 14 0 7
    2nd and 3 at OKLA 14 Ford, Keith rush for 1 yard to the OKLAHOMA15, PENALTY OKLAHOMA holding 7 yards to the OKLAHOMA7, NO PLAY.
    2nd and 10 at OKLA 7 Alex Ross run for 9 yds to the Okla 16 0 7
    3rd and 1 at OKLA 16 Aaron Ripkowski run for 3 yds to the Okla 19 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at OKLA 19 Cody Thomas pass complete to K.J. Young for 24 yds to the Okla 43 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at OKLA 43 Cody Thomas pass complete to Durron Neal for 45 yds to the TexTc 12 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at TTU 12 Cody Thomas pass intercepted Sam Eguavoen return for 5 yds to the TexTc 8

Can possible criticize the play calling here. The INT was terrible. However, it was the passing that moved the ball down the field.

Possession 4

I'm not going to list the plays as we scored a TD. We did rush the ball five times for a total of 12 yards. We scored despite ineffective running.

Possession 5

1st and 10 at OKLA 27 Keith Ford run for 4 yds to the Okla 31
    2nd and 6 at OKLA 31 TEAM run for a loss of 4 yards to the Okla 27 TEAM fumbled, recovered by Okla Keith Ford
    Timeout OKLAHOMA, clock 01:49
    3rd and 10 at OKLA 27 Cody Thomas pass intercepted Tevin Madison return for no gain to the Okla 49

We only passed after the previous two plays left us at 3rd and 10.

Possession 6

1st and 10 at OKLA 31 Cody Thomas pass incomplete 7 14
    2nd and 10 at OKLA 31 Samaje Perine run for 1 yd to the Okla 32
    3rd and 9 at OKLA 32 Cody Thomas pass intercepted Keenon Ward return for 37 yds to the Okla 21

This one was a desperation throw. Could have backfired but didn't. I probably wouldn't do this with a new QB but not a big deal.

So, anyway, I think all of this criticism is misguided. We did run the ball a lot. As often happens early in games it was not nearly as effective as it was later. I don't see a lot of changes that could have been made to the offensive gameplan here. Lots of our passes were called because the down and distance dictated it. Thank goodness we're not in a the 'bone where a 3rd and 15 was an automatic stop and punt.

I'm only posting this to provide perspective. I thought Heupel called a pretty darn good game considering what he was given. I've been critical of him at times but I think he got it done this week.

I think it's foolish to believe we would have run the ball as well in the first half as we did in the second. That didn't happen with Peterson and it isn't going to happen with Perine.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Breaking down the OU offensive calls in first half.

well said!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

You can break it down all you want, but asking a Freshman QB making his first career start that is also on the road to attempt 17 passes in one half? While we only run it 18 times in said half? In that West Texas wind against that awful run defense? Nah. Heupel did a good job in the 2nd half, but asked way too much of Thomas in the first.

Props to Cody for not backing down and being mentally tough.
    Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

It was stupid. Two consecutive possession without Perrine after he ran for 20 yards in the first possession is stupid.

I'm not sure how they expect any back to establish a rhythm jerking them around the way they do with their crappy game plans.

Perine is a signature back, like the kid up at Wisconsin.

Texas Tech is former Southwest Conference dog vomit and should be run into the ground at will. Way too many passes thrown in the first half against that sh*t bag of an excuse for a football program.

And, that smug dufus Kingsbury...if you only lived down here in Texas and endured all of the fawning they did over him at the beginning of last season. So stupid. He's a fraud coach who doesn't understand football also includes defense and special teams.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

glad you posted this...I am one that was thinking we threw too early too often.

My question, just trying to understand, what changes did we make at half, that allowed us to run more effective (early of our 22 plays 20 were runs)? Did tt change their D?

I do know we actually ran Thomas more, had some GREAT fakes...would that have worked in the first half as well? (OU won, game over...but just speculation at this point.)
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    Possession 1

1st and 10 at OKLA 23 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    2nd and 10 at OKLA 23 Samaje Perine run for 8 yds to the Okla 31
    3rd and 2 at OKLA 31 Samaje Perine run for 10 yds to the Okla 41 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at OKLA 41 Samaje Perine run for 2 yds to the Okla 43
    2nd and 8 at OKLA 43 Cody Thomas pass complete to Durron Neal for 5 yds to the Okla 48
    3rd and 3 at OKLA 48 Cody Thomas pass complete to Aaron Ripkowski for 6 yds to the TexTc 46 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at TTU 46 Samaje Perine run for no gain to the TexTc 46
    2nd and 10 at TTU 46 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    3rd and 10 at TTU 46 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    4th and 10 at TTU 46 Jed Barnett punt for 33 yds, downed at the TexTc 13

We did start out throwing the ball but then went heavy run. Then completed a couple of passes. Only after a run of no gain did we feel the need to pass. (Sure, on this possession we could have run on 2nd and 10.)

Possession 2

1st and 10 at OKLA 25 Keith Ford run for 2 yds to the Okla 27 OKLAHOMA Penalty, Offensive Holding (-10 Yards) to the Okla 17
    1st and 18 at OKLA 17 Keith Ford run for 1 yd to the Okla 18
    2nd and 17 at OKLA 18 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    3rd and 17 at OKLA 18 OKLAHOMA Penalty, False Start (-5 Yards) to the Okla 13
    3rd and 22 at OKLA 13 Cody Thomas pass incomplete
    4th and 22 at OKLA 13 Jed Barnett punt for 33 yds, downed at the Okla 46

Possession starts with an ineffective run and holding. We try to run again and it is not effective. Then we're stuck at 2 and 17 and are forced to pass.

Possession 3

1st and 10 at OKLA 7 Keith Ford run for 7 yds to the Okla 14 0 7
    2nd and 3 at OKLA 14 Ford, Keith rush for 1 yard to the OKLAHOMA15, PENALTY OKLAHOMA holding 7 yards to the OKLAHOMA7, NO PLAY.
    2nd and 10 at OKLA 7 Alex Ross run for 9 yds to the Okla 16 0 7
    3rd and 1 at OKLA 16 Aaron Ripkowski run for 3 yds to the Okla 19 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at OKLA 19 Cody Thomas pass complete to K.J. Young for 24 yds to the Okla 43 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at OKLA 43 Cody Thomas pass complete to Durron Neal for 45 yds to the TexTc 12 for a 1ST down
    1st and 10 at TTU 12 Cody Thomas pass intercepted Sam Eguavoen return for 5 yds to the TexTc 8

Can possible criticize the play calling here. The INT was terrible. However, it was the passing that moved the ball down the field.

Possession 4

I'm not going to list the plays as we scored a TD. We did rush the ball five times for a total of 12 yards. We scored despite ineffective running.

Possession 5

1st and 10 at OKLA 27 Keith Ford run for 4 yds to the Okla 31
    2nd and 6 at OKLA 31 TEAM run for a loss of 4 yards to the Okla 27 TEAM fumbled, recovered by Okla Keith Ford
    Timeout OKLAHOMA, clock 01:49
    3rd and 10 at OKLA 27 Cody Thomas pass intercepted Tevin Madison return for no gain to the Okla 49

We only passed after the previous two plays left us at 3rd and 10.

Possession 6

1st and 10 at OKLA 31 Cody Thomas pass incomplete 7 14
    2nd and 10 at OKLA 31 Samaje Perine run for 1 yd to the Okla 32
    3rd and 9 at OKLA 32 Cody Thomas pass intercepted Keenon Ward return for 37 yds to the Okla 21

This one was a desperation throw. Could have backfired but didn't. I probably wouldn't do this with a new QB but not a big deal.

So, anyway, I think all of this criticism is misguided. We did run the ball a lot. As often happens early in games it was not nearly as effective as it was later. I don't see a lot of changes that could have been made to the offensive gameplan here. Lots of our passes were called because the down and distance dictated it. Thank goodness we're not in a the 'bone where a 3rd and 15 was an automatic stop and punt.

I'm only posting this to provide perspective. I thought Heupel called a pretty darn good game considering what he was given. I've been critical of him at times but I think he got it done this week.

I think it's foolish to believe we would have run the ball as well in the first half as we did in the second. That didn't happen with Peterson and it isn't going to happen with Perine.

That was great....Now only if you could get all the idiots to understand this......
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

vCash

Also, you shouldn't ignore the 4th possession because it was our first score of the game...courtesy of Perine.

After that drive, he'd run eight times for 30 yards and a touchdown with no negative plays. So, what did they do after that drive? They come out in drive #5 with Ford...and the kid threw an interception. He then threw an interception on the next possession as well.

They need to quit f*cking around and lead with Perine, beat the holy hell out of the opposing front seven all day long, forcing them to creep up their safeties, which will help the pass game.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

And, here's what's terrible about the whole situation: next year, they'll be throwing Mixon in their as well. They'll be screwing around trying to get four backs playing time instead of choosing a lead dog and letting the chips fall where they may.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    And, here's what's terrible about the whole situation: next year, they'll be throwing Mixon in their as well
    That's terrible? How do you know that Mixon isn't an even better RB than Perine?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Play calling didn't bother me. The goal may have been to get Cody the widest range of experience possible vs. just maximize odds of winning the game. The last play of the half with time expiring would indicate that was true. I wouldn't have asked Cody to do quite as much as they did, but that's splitting hairs. The run game always works better in the 2nd half anyway after the defense has 30+ plays in their legs (and we stop holding). Switching to a heavier run scheme in the 2nd half may well have been the plan all along, not any kind of chance of heart. We got to see plenty of Perine.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    Possession 1

This one was a desperation throw. Could have backfired but didn't. I probably wouldn't do this with a new QB but not a big deal
    Stupid is stupid period. It does not matter that it did not backfire. The play had no purpose. The odds of a backfire were > 0 no matter how small. If it had gone for a pick 6, I would hope Josh (our hero) would have been fired on the spot.
    Mike Stoops: "F*ck me. " - Quoted during the FAMU game following the 1st quarter timeout for 12 men on field.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    Stupid is stupid period. It does not matter that it did not backfire. The play had no purpose. The odds of a backfire were > 0 no matter how small. If it had gone for a pick 6, I would hope Josh (our hero) would have been fired on the spot.
    The play clearly had a purpose, you just don't know what it was.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

Throwing the ball from where we were on the field with 3 seconds left in the half is as big dumb football as it gets. Luckily our backup QB made the tackle to stop the guy from potentially scoring and going up by 14 points.
    Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 cccasooner2's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The play clearly had a purpose, you just don't know what it was.
    That call was sub-human, I don't want to know what its divine purpose was.
    Mike Stoops: "F*ck me. " - Quoted during the FAMU game following the 1st quarter timeout for 12 men on field.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    That call was sub-human, I don't want to know what its divine purpose was.
    Just your opinion, no matter how you try to state it as fact.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

So are we complaining about the Norvell/Heupel play calling?
    Or are we complaining about Gundy's rotations?
    Or both?

Can we also add to the list - Why does Thomas do that whole Tony Romo throw off the back foot thing?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post

Can we also add to the list - Why does Thomas do that whole Tony Romo throw off the back foot thing?
    Tony Romo makes millions of $$ every year to do that and had plenty of hot wimmin to date.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Tony Romo makes millions of $$ every year to do that and had plenty of hot wimmin to date.
    Yes, but as a fan, every time he puts it in the air it looks like he's just throwing it up for grabs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Yes, but as a fan, every time he puts it in the air it looks like he's just throwing it up for grabs.
    Obviously, I was kidding. Your point about mechanics is a good one. It's easy to understand a young man with little game experience having a shaky first start. But he has been in the program for almost 2 years, so he should have mechanics drilled into his head by many reps in practice.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    glad you posted this...I am one that was thinking we threw too early too often.

My question, just trying to understand, what changes did we make at half, that allowed us to run more effective (early of our 22 plays 20 were runs)? Did tt change their D?

I do know we actually ran Thomas more, had some GREAT fakes...would that have worked in the first half as well? (OU won, game over...but just speculation at this point.)
    Jeep, if I were to guess, I'd guess the difference was the defense was
    getting tired of trying to tackle a 243# runner, following a 248# blocker.
    As the 2nd half progressed, one could see the hesitations before taking
    on Perine and, to a certain extent, Ross and Ford, too. Tech's defense
    late in the game reminded me of the gassed LSU run defense in the 03
    Sugar Bowl....you know the one, where Long called 4 pass plays with an
    injured QB and 1st and goal, after we'd run the ball down their throats.