vCash

Muschamp Defensive Coordinator?

I know that it's very early in the process, but I'd very much like to see the Sooners sign Muschamp as an aid to Mike Stoops. He's probably a good possibility for getting the Sooners out of their defensive funk...Too much of a drop for Muschamp, or too much of an ego hit for Stoops? Or has Muschamp actually bottomed out? Your thoughts?

Boomer

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Muschamp Defensive Coordinator?

Why Muschamp want to do it?

Administrator
    vCash

I don't know if Muschamp has any/much experience with the 3-4. If he does, I think he'd be a nice fit (assuming he would want to go back to that). Mike needs help, that much is clear.

After reviewing yesterday's game, and thinking about it, I'm giving him a bit of a pass. We played two true freshman in the secondary (Parker/J. Thomas), along with a first year starter (A. Thomas). Three guys that are in their first year = tough times. Still, I don't like the soft coverage...but, maybe it's all because Mike doesn't trust those guys enough. I don't know if we'll get Wilson back, or not, but even though KU and OSU have looked terrible...both have the ability to beat us if we don't show up ready to play.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by oupride View Post
    Why Muschamp want to do it?
    Lane Kiffin

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I don't know if Muschamp has any/much experience with the 3-4. If he does, I think he'd be a nice fit (assuming he would want to go back to that). Mike needs help, that much is clear.

After reviewing yesterday's game, and thinking about it, I'm giving him a bit of a pass. We played two true freshman in the secondary (Parker/J. Thomas), along with a first year starter (A. Thomas). Three guys that are in their first year = tough times. Still, I don't like the soft coverage...but, maybe it's all because Mike doesn't trust those guys enough. I don't know if we'll get Wilson back, or not, but even though KU and OSU have looked terrible...both have the ability to beat us if we don't show up ready to play.
    I was watching the chiefs play and they play 7 or so yards off, but when the balls is snapped they don't start to back peddle. They wait until the receiver gets to them, then cover him. I just don't understand why they can't split the difference and cover 4 yards off.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    I was watching the chiefs play and they play 7 or so yards off, but when the balls is snapped they don't start to back peddle. They wait until the receiver gets to them, then cover him. I just don't understand why they can't split the difference and cover 4 yards off.
    Athletes.

You see more soft coverage in the NFL than you do college, overall. That's because every player in the secondary is very fast, and can recover those yards in a hurry. I'm not saying we don't have guys that can do that, but it appears Mike is afraid to let them try. He see's them everyday in practice, so I assume he knows what he can and can't call, it just gets frustrating. Youth has to be playing a big part in that too.

Other than a few complete busts, the secondary played decent Saturday. The defense did a better job, as a whole, in the second half. I think Bryce Petty showed what a good QB can do against soft coverage whereas Tech didn't have a QB with the ability to really make us pay consistently. Fortunately, we don't face another QB with Petty's ability the rest of the year (sans possibly in the bowl game). I suspect Mike will spend much of the offseason trying to find the cure to whatever it is he's dealing with...at least I hope so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Kansas will come to play. They are playing tough with that interim coach who is an ex-Jayhawk player. Our coaches need to have their heads pulled all the way out of their as*ses this weekend so we don't get upset by Basketball U.

As to Muschamp...good on him if he doesn't coach 3-4. It hasn't done us a hell of a lot of good. I'm afraid Bob's ego wouldn't take a Muschamp in the same facility with him, though. Muschamp doesn't strike me as a rubberstamping yes man.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Muschamp does have experience at being coach-in-waiting.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Athletes.

You see more soft coverage in the NFL than you do college, overall. That's because every player in the secondary is very fast, and can recover those yards in a hurry. I'm not saying we don't have guys that can do that, but it appears Mike is afraid to let them try. He see's them everyday in practice, so I assume he knows what he can and can't call, it just gets frustrating. Youth has to be playing a big part in that too.

Other than a few complete busts, the secondary played decent Saturday. The defense did a better job, as a whole, in the second half. I think Bryce Petty showed what a good QB can do against soft coverage whereas Tech didn't have a QB with the ability to really make us pay consistently. Fortunately, we don't face another QB with Petty's ability the rest of the year (sans possibly in the bowl game). I suspect Mike will spend much of the offseason trying to find the cure to whatever it is he's dealing with...at least I hope so.
    Petty has light speed release times on those 5-7 yard outs. WVU had its
    secondary in the wideouts faces and that put a big crimp on Petty. I had
    really thought Stoops would have looked at that film and played Petty/Baylor
    similarly, but, what do I know? KU gave TCU all they could handle, so as
    someone earlier said...we should be on our toes!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Muschamp has 6 million reasons not to coach next season...let alone step down to being a coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    Muschamp has 6 million reasons not to coach next season...let alone step down to being a coordinator.
    Are you saying the 6 million is contingent on not taking another coaching job next year? If not, he definitely should take a coordinator position if he gets a good opportunity. He's a young coach and he needs to stay in the business assuming that's his goal. It's common for a HC with an unsuccessful outing to go back to coordinator and earn another shot. I don't see him getting a high profile HC jobs right away.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Petty has light speed release times on those 5-7 yard outs. WVU had its
    secondary in the wideouts faces and that put a big crimp on Petty. I had
    really thought Stoops would have looked at that film and played Petty/Baylor
    similarly, but, what do I know? KU gave TCU all they could handle, so as
    someone earlier said...we should be on our toes!
    It has to be schematic, if WV has better athletes than we do, then we have a much bigger problem than with how close our corners are to the receiver.