Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Gee, Perine ran for 200 yards and scored three TDs again...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    Ford is our best all-around back. But he and Perine make a solid 1-2 punch.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ross get involved in the O like a Josh Norman. Or course, I'd like to see a lot more elements like the offense when Josh Norman was there.
    Agreed. Ford still isn't at 100%, but even so he's better than most backs. Perine is just a workhorse...and he's a great asset. Still, getting fresh legs in the game is huge. If Perine were to carry the ball 25-30 times every game, I think he'd break down at some point.

I will say that the kid (Perine) is a special player. He just refuses to go down easy. That's a great attribute in a running back.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by David Earl View Post
    The player development point is a fair point. However, get some momentum in the game first. Let the run set up the pass. Don't pass three times in a row, with the third throw being first and goal from the 8. Some of that just doesn't make sense.

No doubt the coaches are working off of information we don't have, things they see in practice, things they know about players. Maybe there are things that would make this all seem more reasonable. But from my easy chair, some of that yesterday is mind boggling.
    I don't disagree, but again, it's all just opinion. The coach may just believe in baptism by fire. The bottom line is that there is nothing the coaches can do at this point to placate the fans, so they should just go with their gut as to what is best for next year. The program needs some excitement in order to hang onto the recruits that are committed and hopefully snag a few more promising players. That and continued player development are the 2 most important things left to do this season. After that, coaching staff evaluations should be in order… (the view from my easy chair, of course).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Agreed. Ford still isn't at 100%, but even so he's better than most backs. Perine is just a workhorse...and he's a great asset. Still, getting fresh legs in the game is huge. If Perine were to carry the ball 25-30 times every game, I think he'd break down at some point.

I will say that the kid (Perine) is a special player. He just refuses to go down easy. That's a great attribute in a running back.
    Perine is a 3D copy of Lacy, currently with the Pack. Only diff is Perine is
    slightly bigger, slighty faster and slightly younger. Fearless prediction here,
    Perine is HIGH first round pick and will quickly challenge Peterson as a stud!
    (That is, if Perine didn't have corporal punishment as a child.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Perine is a 3D copy of Lacy, currently with the Pack. Only diff is Perine is
    slightly bigger, slighty faster and slightly younger. Fearless prediction here,
    Perine is HIGH first round pick and will quickly challenge Peterson as a stud!
    (That is, if Perine didn't have corporal punishment as a child.)
    I'd take the other side of that line. I think he's an excellent back, but Peterson is
    an all time great that will be mentioned with Brown, Payton, Sanders types. It's
    rare for any RB to be a high 1st round pick these days, but of course the pendulum
    could swing back that way. I think Perine will have an excellent OU career and NFL
    career assuming he stays healthy, but the odds are against him becoming an all time great.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I'd take the other side of that line. I think he's an excellent back, but Peterson is
    an all time great that will be mentioned with Brown, Payton, Sanders types. It's
    rare for any RB to be a high 1st round pick these days, but of course the pendulum
    could swing back that way. I think Perine will have an excellent OU career and NFL
    career assuming he stays healthy, but the odds are against him becoming an all time great.
    Welp, I aint no expert atall...but here's my argument...the balance that Perine
    shows when he gets hit...a quick point on the turf or adjust the ball to the other
    side shows me that he is "different". I can remember early on AD having that impact
    and a different reaction. Now, AD has acceleration that I haven't seen from Perine
    but Perine can tuck it and run it...IN TRAFFIC! Oh my, then when you watch what
    he does in the end zone! This young man is special indeed, and, it appears to me,
    that he doesn't crave the light that Ad did when he was here. Put that stuff with
    243#....well, if Huepel doesn't write running stuff for him, it is a shame!

But, WTHDIK?

vCash

I'm just a boring statistician. I'm not questioning Perine's potential - I'm not an expert.
    I just know that football and the NFL in particular go through RB's like potato chips.
    There have been many very bright flashes that only last a couple of years, but long
    term greatness is very rare. Usually it's due to injury/wear and tear.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Perine is a freakish rugby type player that didn't carry his team in high school. The coaches are now realizing that he is unique in his size and strength. Personally, I hoped he would shine from the moment I saw his recruiting pics. I haven't seen an 18 year old kid with that kind of build before. But he's got short legs and he can't stride it out like Ross or AD. But nobody can stop the kid one on on. Those short, tree trunk legs will cause headaches, possibly concussions to the first defender trying to slow him down below the waist.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Perine is a freakish rugby type player that didn't carry his team in high school. The coaches are now realizing that he is unique in his size and strength. Personally, I hoped he would shine from the moment I saw his recruiting pics. I haven't seen an 18 year old kid with that kind of build before. But he's got short legs and he can't stride it out like Ross or AD. But nobody can stop the kid one on on. Those short, tree trunk legs will cause headaches, possibly concussions to the first defender trying to slow him down below the waist.
    Interesting observation....I'm so impressed with how he bounces off big
    time hits. His speed is deceptive...I certainly am not putting him in AD's
    arena...yet...but, he IS special! Mark this down, with good play calling,
    this kid can win the rushing title in the Big XII, while we win the dayum
    conference...20-25 times a game....jmo...

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    The only thing I disagree with you on is that the coaches are "now realizing" his ability, etc. I think they've known from the moment he stepped on campus what he could do. The only real issue with Perine, coming into the season, was how well he could play after his high school knee injury was behind him. I think he's answered that question. He's clearly got the maturity to play at a high level, and if there was one guy we were going to get, that Bama wanted, he's the guy.