Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pass defense

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

pass defense

9-11 105 yards 1 td - ON THE FIRST DRIVE!

Great job Mike. When it is so obvious Matt Mullen see it, you have a big problem.

vCash

Re: pass defense

Mike Stoops needs to go. We just gave up 30 points to Texas Tech who also started a backup QB. Every QB we face seems to have their best or 1 of their best games of the season against us.

vCash

The secondary has turned into a hot steaming pile of poo what happened?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    They are young and not very good. Hopefully they will improve.
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okiewaker View Post
    They are young and not very good. Hopefully they will improve.
    Yep. Both Parker and Thomas got worked over pretty good. If they just played an average game, I don't think TTech gets more than a couple of field goals. They played better in the second half and got a few stops which let our O get into rhythm.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

What exactly is supposed to happen when the defense is on the field? The most successful pass defense they run is when the open receiver drops the pass. Is the scheme so complicated that it gets more confusing the longer a player tries to execute it? Weren't the complicated schemes the reason many people wanted Venables gone?

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

is this a scheme or personnel issue?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TXSooner View Post
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    9-11 105 yards 1 td - ON THE FIRST DRIVE!

Great job Mike. When it is so obvious Matt Mullen see it, you have a big problem.
    Explain to us just how Tech got 105 yards ON THE FIRST DRIVE!
    They took possession on their Own 13 and drove for a TD thats 87 yards not 105~
    Yea the D stunk it up but lets now try to make em smell any worse .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    They did get several penalties on that drive. Dunno how many, exactly, but it was substantial.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

I was such a Mike Stoops fan...until 2014. Is it just him? If Parker is such a bonehead at safety, try somebody else.

Calmus, Strait, and Roy Williams were top notch college players who did not have NFL speed. They were good because they were smart and instinctive - were they also well coached by Mike back then?
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Administrator
    vCash

Both.

We have talent in the secondary, it's just inexperienced and/or young. I thought Jordan Thomas played really well today, even though he was targeted for much of the game, he was playing so far off his guy that it was almost impossible for him to make a tackle without the receiver picking up 4-5 yards.

I don't know what Mike Stoops is thinking, or what he knows that we don't, but from an outside perspective, it looks like he's got no idea how to defend in this conference. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that when we sent pressure on Mahomes, he got rattled and made bad decisions just about every time. I don't know why we would send pressure on one down, then drop 8 the next. It was pretty obvious that Mahomes is no Bryce Petty, and needed time to make a good throw. The longer we gave him, the better he looked.

I'm not a "Fire (insert coach)" kinda person, but Mike Stoops is making hard for me to continue to think that way.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUmillenium View Post
    I was such a Mike Stoops fan...until 2014. Is it just him? If Parker is such a bonehead at safety, try somebody else.

Calmus, Strait, and Roy Williams were top notch college players who did not have NFL speed. They were good because they were smart and instinctive - were they also well coached by Mike back then?
    I don't get it either.

vCash

Let's just be honest for a second here...it's a scheme problem. Yes the players are young/talented and will make mistakes because of their youth/inexperience, but against Baylor and again for a lot of the game against Tech, it wouldn't have mattered if we lined up Darrell Revis, Richard Sherman, Joe Haden, Patrick Peterson or the next top NFL corner on the list...When it's 3rd and 1,2,3,4 and your CB is playing 10 yards off the wr they're going to get a 1st down. That's what we did against Baylor and we were still doing it some today against Tech.

Also, If you are going to blitz to make the QB get rid of the ball quick you don't play your db's way off the wr's that makes for real easy throws/reads.

It also, doesn't matter, because Hell would freeze over before Bob would get rid of his brother.

It's because of penalties. He did have 105 yards on that drive in the air. amazing.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

I don't know what Mike Stoops is thinking, or what he knows that we don't, but from an outside perspective, it looks like he's got no idea how to defend in this conference. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that when we sent pressure on Mahomes, he got rattled and made bad decisions just about every time. I don't know why we would send pressure on one down, then drop 8 the next. It was pretty obvious that Mahomes is no Bryce Petty, and needed time to make a good throw. The longer we gave him, the better he looked.

I'm not a "Fire (insert coach)" kinda person, but Mike Stoops is making hard for me to continue to think that way.
    I and others have been saying this for a while. You HAVE to pressure passing qb's. It's pretty simple. I don't care if it's Peyton Manning or a rs frosh. If you let them sit there they are going to find a receiver. Puts impossible pressure for the secondary to cover that long. It's starts with the D line and I'm thinking that's where the weakness may lie. You either have some beasts up front that can get to the qb or you have an array of blitz packages and disguises. Either way, you need some bodies on the line that can get in the backfield or take attention to free up blitzers. A prevent defense will prevent you from winning. Pressure the qb and he has less time to find open receivers, makes quick choices, makes mistakes, completions have to be quicker and shorter. You can play tighter coverage. Of course you gamble with tight man coverage but that's when you find corners that can cover and smart safeties. It seems it would be alot easier to coach that. I don't know how you coach a secondary to cover all day while the qb waits for an open receiver. I've felt the offense has appeared to have no gameplan, just call scripted plays. I guess the defense isn't much different. Whatever, it's frustrating to watch.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    It's because of penalties. He did have 105 yards on that drive in the air. amazing.
    And that's double frustrating that they hurt themselves so much and still scored.

vCash

So let me get this straight . Yall sayin we gave up 105 yards on their 1st drive due to penalties correct? With that thinking then we need to count all the scores that are nullified by penalties.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

After getting humiliated by letting 6 or 7 straight 7 yard hitches be completed in a row last week, we STILL couldn't defend a seven yard hitch yesterday. I just don't understand why our coaching staff - mike and bob who coach the secondary - can't even stop a simple play when everyone know they can complete it on us. Are they so hard headed they won't change how they have been coaching and blame the players?

vCash

So let me get this straight . Yall sayin we gave up 105 yards on their 1st drive due to penalties correct? With that thinking then we need to count all the scores that are nullified by penalties.
    YES! If you have a 1st and 10 and get a 5 yard penalty do you have to gain 10 yards for a first down? NO - you have to gain 15. Scoring and yardage are two separate things, it's a simple concept. You have to make up for the penalty yards.