Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

How about this wildcard idea?

Elevate Cale Gundy to OC.

Think about it. Which coach, from the beginning of Stoops' tenure, has always had his guys ready, whether they were scholarship players or walkons? Midseason injuries, whatever? It's been Gundy. His guys are ready to go. They can run. They can catch. And, they can block. And, he's a good recruiter.

I was 117% against Cale when he played here because he would rip off his helmet like an idiot despite being unable to beat the best teams OU played back then. Like being cocky against Kansas meant something. I thought Gibbs played favorites with him, handing him Steve Collins' job, then not letting even Chad Davis compete for it. It was the greatest day of my life (I thought) when Gibbs was let go.

However, all of that player stuff now two decades under the bridge, I think Gundy's more than proved his worth as a coach. If you don't trust him, fire Bedenbaugh's fat as*s and bring Mangino's extra fat as*s in here to co-OC with Gundy and coach the line. We know damn well that Mangino will not sugar coat the shortcomings of his players on or off the field.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Re: How about this wildcard idea?

I thought Gundy had already had the opportunity to get promoted a few years back, but chose not to, because of the additional stress that went along with the promotion.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: How about this wildcard idea?

Quote Originally Posted by beached_sooner View Post
    I thought Gundy had already had the opportunity to get promoted a few years back, but chose not to, because of the additional stress that went along with the promotion.
    Hadn't heard that, but if it's true...what the heck is Gundy thinking? Who dreams of being a running back coach his entire career?

Sad if it's true.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987