Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ouduckhunter's Avatar
    North Carolina via Oreygon, Texas, and the great state of Oklahoma
    vCash

Re: National columnist: It’s time for Bob Stoops to leave ‘stagnant’ Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    What I want to see is Bob Stoops go out on a limb and hire some coaches without obvious ties to him or his former coaches. I think what may be part of the problem is that Stoops has essentially surrounded himself with "yes men."

Is Jay Norvell really gonna cross Bob? He's an old Iowa Hawkeye, like Bob. Heupel, his ex-QB? Bedenbaugh, the Leach guy? Mike, his own brother?

Where are the fresh ideas coming from? Nowhere. Can no one on the offensive staff look Bob Stoops in the eye and say, "Knight's release isn't quick enough. We've given it two seasons, and he's been here for three years"? Worse, does the current staff even recognize it themselves?

See what I'm saying?

At some point, every business goes through this. People were writing Apple's obituary in the 1990s. They got innovative and pulled through. Other companies begin to flounder, then sink.

Those of us in our mid-40s and older are watching with amazement as Sears sinks. Sears, the company whose catalog in 60s and 70s we'd wear out in November and December circling the Christmas gifts we wanted.

It's gone and done. But, they've let is sink.

OU football is an organization as well, and one that needs to be shaken up before it hits bottom. But, you can't have everyone in the office telling you what you want to hear if you're the boss.

I don't think Stoops takes criticism well. And, that's fine. Many of us are the same way. But, as we've aged, we've learned that we've needed the occasional outside push or suggestion to get us out of the ruts and back on the rails.

I hope Bob Stoops can see that; but, I fear he can't.

I agree with you. I hate to see us falter, and muddle along at some point every season while other teams are building, and getting stronger from season to season. Until the last two years we lived in Oregon, and while we were there we watched the Quacks turn their team around from nothing special into a contender. I do think they cheated along the way, and they have major support from Phil Knight, but they still win a lot of games, and finish higher in the polls most seasons than we do. They brought in a very successful assistant coach from a small school, and he had great ideas and turned that program around. If a school like Oregon can find a good coach, and turn their program into something, why aren't we doing better things with OU's program. I think Stoops is too loyal to his people, and wish that he would up his own game, bring in some new coaching talent hungry for big things, and make it happen!
    From the home of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base...

What I want to see is Bob Stoops go out on a limb and hire some coaches without obvious ties to him or his former coaches. I think what may be part of the problem is that Stoops has essentially surrounded himself with "yes men."

Is Jay Norvell really gonna cross Bob? He's an old Iowa Hawkeye, like Bob. Heupel, his ex-QB? Bedenbaugh, the Leach guy? Mike, his own brother?

Where are the fresh ideas coming from? Nowhere. Can no one on the offensive staff look Bob Stoops in the eye and say, "Knight's release isn't quick enough. We've given it two seasons, and he's been here for three years"? Worse, does the current staff even recognize it themselves?

See what I'm saying?

At some point, every business goes through this. People were writing Apple's obituary in the 1990s. They got innovative and pulled through. Other companies begin to flounder, then sink.

Those of us in our mid-40s and older are watching with amazement as Sears sinks. Sears, the company whose catalog in 60s and 70s we'd wear out in November and December circling the Christmas gifts we wanted.

OU football is an organization as well, and one that needs to be shaken up before it hits bottom. But, you can't have everyone in the office telling you what you want to hear if you're the boss.

I don't think Stoops takes criticism well. And, that's fine. Many of us are the same way. But, as we've aged, we've learned that we've needed the occasional outside push or suggestion to get us out of the ruts and back on the rails.

Where your post loses traction is when you mention Mike. I've heard Bob in interviews say that sometimes when they disagree, Mike argues as if he is arguing with his brother rather than his boss. Bob says he has to remind him of that sometimes. So I dunno about your other examples, but that one seems to work against your argument.
    Aries

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I NEVER thought I would say this but Stoops may be burnt out. I'm sure this drastic change in opinion is due in large part to the suck factor of OUr play vs. a pitiful TT. I have no idea who to hire but I think we could have many candidates. I would add that I would NOT consider any current staff member as I think we need a clean restart.

Hopefully I will wake up and this will all be a nightmare.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    blog = *********

I don't want Stoops to have carte blanche to do whatever he wants for 20 more years but at this point he has done his job. If he starts to lose the program and recruits stop coming, the team gets taken behind the woodshed once a year or we get some 8-5 7-6 seasons then he needs to go.

I remember in the not so distant past OU would go to an unranked Texas Tech team and get beat. This year, while disappointing, they have lost to 3 legitimate teams. Next year will be a big one to see how players respond and how they develop the two lines with losing key guys.
    Almost stuck your foot in your mouth there bud

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

When Saban retires I'd take Bob in a heartbeat.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sabanball View Post
    When Saban retires I'd take Bob in a heartbeat.
    Might want to at least take a look at Briles, Patterson or Snyder (or his ghost).
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Swtizer didn't leave or fire a load of coaches in 83...he got Boz and a bunch of smart, tough players to make an incredible 5 year run.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

U

See what I'm saying?

This..
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OUmillenium View Post
    Swtizer didn't leave or fire a load of coaches in 83...he got Boz and a bunch of smart, tough players to make an incredible 5 year run.
    I have always heard the lights were on in switzers office a lot later starting around this time. It was not automatically renewing his contract for another year that seemed to get him going again.

vCash

BURY BARRY!