Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: The day after...the day after...

This one hurts because of how promising the season started. Well also because we lost by more than 30 points at home vs Baylor. I made the trip out to Norman and had the misfortune of seeing this one up close and personal. On the disappointment scale, I wouldn't say it was as bad as TGOWWDNS (which I was also present for) but as we were leaving the stadium at the end of the game, it sure did bring back a lot of memories of growing up rooting for this team in the 90s. There was a particularly black stretch where we had 3, 4, or 5 win seasons and listening to my dad talk about the glory years and how OU would be back as soon as we hired the right coach sounded as absurd as listening to someone who was counting on the rapture to solve their problems.

As disgusted as I was walking out of there on Saturday, I did have a bit of a deja vu moment that brought back memories of so many quiet angry treks back across campus to the family car. But that also sort of gave me a bit of perspective. While it felt like one of those losses, it was only one. And comparatively, we are miles and miles away from the misery that was the 90s. But no Sooner wants to be reminded of those years. Last weekend was way too close for comfort.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I could see some turnover. But a whole new staff? I'd bet real money against that one.
    Naw, I think Stoops is a smart guy; therefore he knows that NOW is the time to bail out.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Alabama won the BCS title that year. My point is that these losses happen but a good team doesn't let that slow them down and they work and get better. That's even more true now with 4 slots available vs. 2.

As I've said before, I thought this team was probably a year away. But the defining attribute of such a team is that they improve dramatically as the season progresses and no one wants any part of them by November. My biggest disappointment with this squad is not so much the record, but that I see little improvement. So that makes me really question what we were a year away from.
    I'm in complete agreement with you.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    it sure did bring back a lot of memories of growing up rooting for this team in the 90s. There was a particularly black stretch where we had 3, 4, or 5 win seasons
    I know I am a bad person, but this made me laugh.

vCash

I remember The Day After. It was a nuclear war movie released back in November of '83.

Seems like Baylor dropped a one-megaton bomb on Saturday, because there's a lot of fallout these days...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

If after the Baylor game you want Stoops gone you're insane. The team got whipped but that was far from being outcoached. Julian Wilson can't cover anyone and maybe that falls to recruiting but Stoops has done pretty well in that department. Blake Bell dropped a 30 yarder and missed two blocks but he's the Belldozer so he can't do anything wrong. The enormous offensive line struggles in short yardage situations where they are clearly more physically imposing and that Stoops issue? If you think the Petrino or Neuheisel are going to bring Oklahoma to the promise land you're crazy and if you think you're going to poach Saban, Harbaugh or Petterson you're just as crazy.

Unfortunately, and I'm sorry, there isn't an NFL franchise for Oklahomans to root for but these are kids on Saturday. Kids screw up and very few of them do it for a living in the NFL because they aren't physically or mentally good enough to do so. I get frustrated as much as the next guy/gal but keep perspective. USC and Notre Dame have gone in the toilet going through the coaching carousel. If Stoops throws out some 8-5, 7-6 years or keeps getting housed at home, call for his head but remember TCU was on Trevor and KSU was on Hunnicut, both kids not Stoops. If these kids played better OU is a one loss team still battling for a playoff spot.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....a little honesty, humility and focused anger from the head coach would go a long ways in my eyes, but as long as there is condescension, patronization and evasion towards the fan base and media then I believe the current staff is fair game for any and all criticism

.....Stoops would do well to glean a little of Buds respect and Switzers bravado and stop being such an @ss

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

In reality, there is nothing Stoops can say at a presser that would be well received after a 48-14 loss. Changing his message or demeanor might sooth one group of fans only to p*ss off another.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Pricetag's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ....a little honesty, humility and focused anger from the head coach would go a long ways in my eyes, but as long as there is condescension, patronization and evasion towards the fan base and media then I believe the current staff is fair game for any and all criticism

.....Stoops would do well to glean a little of Buds respect and Switzers bravado and stop being such an @ss

ss
    Amen. My least favorite part of disappointments such as these is hearing indignant Stoops tell us about how many Big 12 championships he has won.
    Last edited by Pricetag; 11/11/2014 at 02:43 PM.
    La ola es mía.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSoonerThanLater View Post
    Hard to believe we went from number 4 ranking and playoff talk, to in ranked in a month.

Talk about ****ting the bed
    Kind of reminds me of the 1981 season. OU was #2 and lost a heartbreaker to USC. Then it seemed the wheels fell off. Tied Iowa State at home, and that was only because the Iowa State kicker missed a last minute field goal. Got beat up by Texas. Then lost at Missouri and at home to Nebraska.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    If after the Baylor game you want Stoops gone you're insane. The team got whipped but that was far from being outcoached. Julian Wilson can't cover anyone and maybe that falls to recruiting but Stoops has done pretty well in that department. Blake Bell dropped a 30 yarder and missed two blocks but he's the Belldozer so he can't do anything wrong. The enormous offensive line struggles in short yardage situations where they are clearly more physically imposing and that Stoops issue? If you think the Petrino or Neuheisel are going to bring Oklahoma to the promise land you're crazy and if you think you're going to poach Saban, Harbaugh or Petterson you're just as crazy.

Unfortunately, and I'm sorry, there isn't an NFL franchise for Oklahomans to root for but these are kids on Saturday. Kids screw up and very few of them do it for a living in the NFL because they aren't physically or mentally good enough to do so. I get frustrated as much as the next guy/gal but keep perspective. USC and Notre Dame have gone in the toilet going through the coaching carousel. If Stoops throws out some 8-5, 7-6 years or keeps getting housed at home, call for his head but remember TCU was on Trevor and KSU was on Hunnicut, both kids not Stoops. If these kids played better OU is a one loss team still battling for a playoff spot.
    not calling for him to leave...BUT you yourself said recruiting falls on stoops...yes it does. All we have in the secondary is a Sr who isn't worth it (obviously stoops thinks our guys can't cover tight)? THAT is on the coaches. Our oline may be big as elephants but TECHNIQUE is ALSO on the coaches....

SO it is on Stoops as well as the players...but it's a pretty know fact TK stares down his receivers...AGAIN, teaching or recruiting...on of the two.

Folks get called out for criticizing kids and coaches...jeeze. I'd rather call out the 50 yr old men that are in charge.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post

ss

yup

I did the OP to show it's not the end of the world....here I am contradicting myself ....lol. I was getting over it till now~
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post

NEWSFLASH: Blake Bell isn't a tight end. He went to the coaching staff to request a different position to play because he understood that the coaching staff was dumb enough to think Knight was better than him.

Good for Blake, bad for team...as in how the f*ck are we at this point in the program (16 years with Stoops) and the tight end position is so thin that you can just flip a tall quarterback over there and have him start with no prior experience?

It's stupid. And, I think it goes right in line with saying that you could pretty much dump every offensive coach - except for Gundy - and the thing would probably get better rapidly.

But, if you do so, please, for pete's sake, please do not hire anyone that has ever had anything to do with Mike Leach or Hal Mumme ever. No former Mumme/Leach players, assistant coaches, waterboys, headphone cord carriers...nothing!

Get someone with a offensive philosophy which encompasses more than throwing the ball four yards behind or from the line of scrimmage and hoping to hell your receivers can block it.

If I want to watch 7-on-7 football, I'll go sit at a high school practice field during the summer and watch the leagues they have here in the Metroplex. But, please...no more of that crap as the lead offensive philosophy for the team.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987