Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: What Coaches Do You Want To Stay?

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    That would be a good get. I would like to get Scott Frost on the staff but I realize that would be difficult. If not him then whoever is immediately below him on the Oregon offensice coaching staff hierarchy.
    The thing about guys like Frost is that their next step is a HC position. Coming here as an OC is a horizontal move at best, and even if we did pull it off, they'd be gone a year or two later. McGee is an example of a guy who failed at HC, and may not have ambitions to try again.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

HC - Bob Stoops - stay....if he does the following
    Josh Heupel - gone
    Jay Norvell - gone
    Cale Gundy - stay (give him a raise)
    Bill Bedenbaugh - stay
    Jay Boulware - gone

Jerry Montgomery - stay
    Tim Kish - gone
    Bobby Jack Wright - gone (retire)
    Mike Stoops -gone

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Here is what bothers me about Heupel. He was clearly an effective QB coach. He did an amazing job coaching up Bradford (was he a 2 or 3 star recruit?) and White. You'd think having an offensive coordinator/QB coach would mean that they would have intimate knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of our QBs and even if they couldn't develop the skill level of White and Bradford, that Heupel would be able to tailor our playbook to suit the quarterbacks we have. But neither the elevation of our QBs nor the playcalling adjustments have been made. I could maybe see bringing in a new QB coach if Heupel would not step down from OC, but I just don't see any schematic advantage in keeping him on there if he doesn't have that deep knowledge of our QBs.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    The thing about guys like Frost is that their next step is a HC position. Coming here as an OC is a horizontal move at best, and even if we did pull it off, they'd be gone a year or two later. McGee is an example of a guy who failed at HC, and may not have ambitions to try again.
    How much longer do you think Stoops is going to coach? My guess is that it might not be that long. He's always said that he's not going to coach until he's 70, and he's in his mid-50s now. So a guy like Frost could potentially be convinced to come if you gave him a significant pay increase, because he might recognize that if he does well for the next couple years, he could have an inside track at the OU HC position.

I would argue that those are exactly the kinds of people we should be looking to hire. People who have the potential to develop into legitimate successor candidates. Because right now we have nobody on staff, which means that if Bob retires or we do get to a point where he needs to be replaced, we don't have anybody around to replace him with.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by graphster View Post
    How much longer do you think Stoops is going to coach? My guess is that it might not be that long. He's always said that he's not going to coach until he's 70, and he's in his mid-50s now. So a guy like Frost could potentially be convinced to come if you gave him a significant pay increase, because he might recognize that if he does well for the next couple years, he could have an inside track at the OU HC position.

I would argue that those are exactly the kinds of people we should be looking to hire. People who have the potential to develop into legitimate successor candidates. Because right now we have nobody on staff, which means that if Bob retires or we do get to a point where he needs to be replaced, we don't have anybody around to replace him with.
    That's a good point, but I don't know how many of these "head coach in waiting" situations work out. The Brown/Muschamp was a very public disaster, but maybe other have been okay. It is clear that there is no qualified HCIW currently on staff.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Here is what bothers me about Heupel. He was clearly an effective QB coach. He did an amazing job coaching up Bradford (was he a 2 or 3 star recruit?) and White. You'd think having an offensive coordinator/QB coach would mean that they would have intimate knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of our QBs and even if they couldn't develop the skill level of White and Bradford, that Heupel would be able to tailor our playbook to suit the quarterbacks we have. But neither the elevation of our QBs nor the playcalling adjustments have been made. I could maybe see bringing in a new QB coach if Heupel would not step down from OC, but I just don't see any schematic advantage in keeping him on there if he doesn't have that deep knowledge of our QBs.
    To me it seems that there is a misconception about Bradford being sort of a barn find project that was coached to greatness. Sam was the number 12 rated pro style QB (Rivals) in the country that year. He was 5.7 3 star which is as high of a 3 star rating as you can get. I have been told that almost from the git go when he arrived at OU the coaching staff realized they had a very good QB. JH may have done good work but Bradford was already destined to be pretty good player. JH track record since Bradford not nearly as good. I'm just not sure a demotion to QB coach is advantageous to JH or OU.