Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

What Coaches Do You Want To Stay?

Here's the list of our coaches. Choose which ones you want to go, and which ones you want to stay.

HC - Bob Stoops
    Co-OC/QB - Josh Heupel
    Co-OC/WR - Jay Norvell
    RB - Cale Gundy
    OL - Bill Bedenbaugh
    TE/ST - Jay Boulware

DL - Jerry Montgomery
    LB - Tim Kish
    CB - Bobby Jack Wright
    DC/S - Mike Stoops

vCash

Re: What Coaches Do You Want To Stay?

Cale Gundy
    Jerry Montgomery
    Jay Norvell (for now at least)
    Bill Bedenbaugh (for now at least)
    Tim Kish (for now at least, but on a very short rope)
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

I'm not claiming to be an expert on who is being coached up or not, and I certainly don't watch game film. I'm just casually explaining what I see as a fan here. I just thought it would be interesting to see what everybody says.

Personally, I haven't given up on Stoops, and probably won't anytime soon. I like the moves we made two seasons ago bringing in two new line coaches. I think we may need some more of that this offseason.

HC - Bob Stoops

Keep. I can't imagine any improvement coming next year by replacing him. If he goes 8-5 the next two years, I'll sing a different song, but top 10 seasons aren't to be taken for granted.

Co-OC/QB - Josh Heupel

Replace. This discussion has been beaten to death here, so I don't feel anymore is necessary.

Co-OC/WR - Jay Norvell

Keep. The WRs aren't great right now, but I expect they will be next year, and they've been consistently good since he got here in 2008. I think he may be spoiling us here with guys like Broyles, Saunders, Stills, Brown, Shepard, Quick (?), etc. I think WR may have been our best overall position over the last 5 or so years, and he may be our best recruiter (assuming he's the guy bringing in the WRs). Too bad Gardner and Metoyer didn't work out.

RB - Cale Gundy

Keep. I question some of his rotations, but he's put together some pretty impressive stables of RBs. Similar story to Norvell.

OL - Bill Bedenbaugh

Keep. We brought him in with Montgomery before last year. We've probably had the two best running seasons of Stoops' tenure since, and the QBs have had plenty of time to throw. Looks like a great hire to me. We'll see how he does with his own guys.

TE/ST - Jay Boulware

I have no clue.

DL - Jerry Montgomery

Keep. Another hire I've liked so far. We'll see how the DL performs of the next few years, but I'm in no hurry to make a switch.

LB - Tim Kish

Replace. Our LBs have left a lot to be desired overall since he got here, and I feel they're pretty crucial in a 3-4. He's atop my replacement list alongside Heupel.

CB - Bobby Jack Wright

We're weak at CB this year, but we were pretty strong here last year. Replacing him, even if he were our clear weak link, isn't a reasonable idea. No way would Stoops do it. That might be what we need, though (see Mike Stoops discussion).

S - Mike Stoops

I don't want to replace him. I think he still has what it takes to lead our defense, but he's really struggling with the safeties. I can't believe we're not better at safety by now, and I'm starting to think he's going to need some help.

vCash

Re Mike Stoops - you have to wonder if he's still got the fire in his belly. He was one of the most respected coordinators, got a HC shot at Arizona, and was not successful there. Was coming back under big brother's wing a letdown for him? Maybe he's mailing it in, to an extent. We sure seem to be unprepared a lot. I have this vision of every other DC in the league burning the midnight oil to come up with a specific scheme/game plan to beat OU, while our guys are sleeping in cashmere beds. No idea how close it is to the truth.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

If you are a coach on the defensive side of the ball, your job should be in jeopardy, brother of the head coach or not. Heupel should be gone too. Let's say he can't recruit, can't develop qp's - as a OC he sure as hell needs to be able to have rhythm and timing with play calling. Go back and look at the last drive Alabama had in regulation and see what a professional playcaller looks like.

vCash

Agree with Eielson. Good summary. And also Sooner8th. While I think the offense is pathetic, defense wins championships. This years defense is not championship caliber. I think they have done enough to have won 2 of the 3 losses, I also think they could do much better. Seems like we have no consistent disruptive forces on the D line and seldom get pressure on the qb.

Clean house. 16 years is probably too long for most coaches to stay at one program. It seems to be the case with Stoops. The lack of results the past six years are undeniable.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Clean house. 16 years is probably too long for most coaches to stay at one program. It seems to be the case with Stoops. The lack of results the past six years are undeniable.
    You put too little faith in the Stoops faithful!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Cale Gundy
    Jerry Montgomery
    Jay Norvell (for now at least)
    Bill Bedenbaugh (for now at least)
    Tim Kish (for now at least, but on a very short rope)
    I agree with this list of assistants. I don't even want Josh kept as QB coach as I don't think he develops them at all.

I think Bob gets 1-2 more years to turn it around though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerfan88 View Post
    I agree with this list of assistants. I don't even want Josh kept as QB coach as I don't think he develops them at all.

I think Bob gets 1-2 more years to turn it around though.
    Fair enough. I'm not opposed to giving Bob 1-2 more to see if he can find whatever it was he once had. I'd also not be disappointed if he quit tomorrow.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Fair enough. I'm not opposed to giving Bob 1-2 more to see if he can find whatever it was he once had. I'd also not be disappointed if he quit tomorrow.
    I'd be elated. I've seen enough since the National Championship Game against Florida. No further evidence needed to determine that Stoops cannot compete for another NC. Six years is NOT a small sample size.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Bobby Jack Wright back to DE coach. Fire Montgomery and Kish. Get a real DT and LB coaches.

Everyone on the offensive side can be let go. The five of them cannot for the life of themselves figure out that we have far more talent at running back than wide receiver. We have no legitimate tight end threat...for yet another season.

Choosing Knight as the starter two seasons in a row is inexcusable. These coaches have been around long enough to understand what is good enough at this level and what isn't. Knight isn't even close.

None of this will happen because Stoops doesn't fire people. He sometimes gets them to "resign."

At the beginning of his tenure, the "Stoops lets the offensive coaches do what they want to do" seemed to work well. But, that was when there were adults in control. Right now, he's got a set of kid coaches who are trying to force fit players into system their talents don't match.

Stoops is loyal. Hooray. But, there isn't a single one of them that wouldn't find another job somewhere else just based on the fact that "University of Oklahoma" is on their coaching resume. So, there's no reason to shed tears over any of their departures.

It's time to let others come in here, fresh blood. Otherwise, we slip into what Texas became under Mack Brown...or worse, Virginia Tech under Frank Beamer. There comes a point where a guy stays so long, that people begin to defend the mediocrity.

How Frank Beamer survived losing to James Madison a couple of seasons ago, I'll never know. But, I know Stoops has enough defenders here that if a Lousiana-Monroe or FCS bit us in the butt like that, he'd be defended by everyone from the fatas*s president, money-grubbing AD, and a host of boosters down the line. I hate that its coming to that, but it may be.

Look at the way many people excuse losses to TCU, Kansas State, and Baylor. It's sickening.
    Last edited by Tear Down This Wall; 11/10/2014 at 10:55 AM.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Bobby Jack Wright back to DE coach. Fire Montgomery and Kish. Get a real DT and LB coaches.

Everyone on the offensive side can be let go. The five of them cannot for the life of themselves figure out that we have far more talent at running back than wide receiver. We have no legitimate tight end threat...for yet another season.

Choosing Knight as the starter two seasons in a row is inexcusable. These coaches have been around long enough to understand what is good enough at this level and what isn't. Knight isn't even close.

None of this will happen because Stoops doesn't fire people. He sometimes gets them to "resign."

At the beginning of his tenure, the "Stoops lets the offensive coaches do what they want to do" seemed to work well. But, that was when there were adults in control. Right now, he's got a set of kid coaches who are trying to force fit players into system their talents don't match.

Stoops is loyal. Hooray. But, there isn't a single one of them that wouldn't find another job somewhere else just based on the fact that "University of Oklahoma" is on their coaching resume. So, there's no reason to shed tears over any of their departures.

It's time to let others come it here, fresh blood. Otherwise, we slip into what Texas became under Mack Brown...or worse, Virginia Tech under Frank Beamer. There comes a point where a guy stays so long, that people begin to defend the mediocrity.

How Frank Beamer survived losing to James Madison a couple of seasons ago, I'll never know. But, I know Stoops has enough defenders here that if a Lousiana-Monroe or FCS bit us in the butt like that, he'd be defended by everyone from the fatas*s president, money-grubbing AD, and a host of boosters down the line. I hate that its coming to that, but it may be.

Look at the way many people excuse losses to TCU, Kansas State, and Baylor. It's sickening.

Yep. The Bob of 1999 is long gone. Thinking that he'll ever resurface is delusional.

vCash

Kish,Norvell and BJ Wright would be on my chopping block,IF I made those decisions.Ever since Wright took over the secondry our DB play has sucked.Before Norvell,we always had around 6 quality wrs in the rotation.the last couple of years we have been lucky to have 3.I think the play level and number of quality lb recruits has suffered. Thank God I don't have to make that call.
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

vCash

A lot of people on here are saying that Bob doesn't have it anymore. I don't really understand it.

Bob's finest three game stretch is, and always will be, when he beat #11 Texas, #2 KSU, and #1 Nebraska in 2000. The next best 3-game stretch happened last year, though. When we lost to Baylor, I felt as hopeless as I've felt under Stoops. I thought we'd lose at least 2 more games, and had a good chance at dropping 3. Following that game up with an ISU victory was expected, but I was very impressed that we went into Manhattan and stole a game from Old Man Snyder with that team. Then we went on the road and stole another game in Stillwater, and followed that up with a beatdown of the the SEC Monster.

If you were to list the 10 worst QB performances of the last 15 years, I'd imagine about half of them came last year. We've had 7 and 8 win teams that were undisputedly QB'ed better than that team. The fact that our team was top ten at the end of the year was nothing short of a miracle. When you look at a team in the top ten that is QB'ed that poorly, you'd expect to see the rest of the team littered with 1st and 2nd round players. The reality is, we only had 2 guys drafted, and they were both 4th rounders.

To me, that was Bob's 2nd finest season as HC.

To me, it all starts and ends with the man at the top. The HC is responsible for hiring his staff. I take no issue with the staff if they are underperforming. The issue is with their boss to take action. Same holds true for the AD - he should take action if his staff is not getting the job done. At this point, I don't care if Bob goes or stays (he won't be going voluntarily any time soon...maybe when his kids graduate HS). But if he stays he needs to get to the bottom of what is wrong at least for my expectations. Blaming coaches isn't going to work because there is no end to the blame. It just needs to be fixed, and only two people in the athletic program have the immediate power: Stoops or Castiglione.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    Kish,Norvell and BJ Wright would be on my chopping block,IF I made those decisions.Ever since Wright took over the secondry our DB play has sucked.Before Norvell,we always had around 6 quality wrs in the rotation.the last couple of years we have been lucky to have 3.I think the play level and number of quality lb recruits has suffered. Thank God I don't have to make that call.
    Yeah, this is pretty much my list, too. Also, Heupel demoted back to QB coach only and have him on the field. Our QB play when he's been the QB coach and *on the field* was outstanding. Since he's been OC and in the booth, dreadful.

vCash

At a bare minimum, what Eielson said, though I'd add Norvell to the chopping block. There's no way Heupel can be let go without elevating Norvell, in my opinion. If they're co-OCs, then they are co-responsible for the constant brainfarts.

BJW is close to the chopping block. We have always kept him around as a recruiter primarily.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

I just showed this thread to Bob and he said all y'all could suck his taint.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Bobby Jack Wright is a far better DE coach than secondary coach. Move him back there. Everyone else can go...unless, they grab the reigns of reality.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987