Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    I listened to the presser. Bob sounded as if being questioned about the game performance was beneath him. However, he did take full responsibility for that debacle. I'm glad he takes full responsibility,, Now,,,fix it!
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Stoops post game press conference

I was wondering if Hoover were asking the questions; the guy is a jerk. He told Bob, "fans were on social media and were mad". Bob said, "so what". I take that to be an idiot saying to the head coach, your fans are on social media and coach says, "so what else is new; they're always on social media". And then reporter says, "they are angry". And coach says, "so what is new; what would anyone expect about a fan?" He is not insulted by us fans being angry; we got our butts kicked and are supposed to be upset. Stoops does not need an idiot reporter telling him the fans are mad.
    In his column, Hoover says fans are extremely mad and pissed (not exact words but the gist) as they are leaving game early. I left with 5 minutes left in game which was far later than the early exodus. People walking out and around campus were unusually quiet. Did not hear anyone griping and complaining; certainly did not hear anger. It was strange walking around with football fans and no chatter, no boomer sooner, quiet like inside the library. Matter of fact, across campus and riding the bus, did not even see anyone texting. Guess the social media stuff went on before I left.
    Last edited by MichiganSooner; 11/9/2014 at 11:09 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Also, did he really say "Who cares?" when John Hoover asked him about the fans being so angry?
    No, he did not. Hoover said, if you take full responsibility does that mean you take responsibility for messing up today...or messing up all week? Bob replied, I take full responsibility for all year...whatever you think...who cares? or something like that.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganSooner View Post
    No, he did not. Hoover said, if you take full responsibility does that mean you take responsibility for messing up today...or messing up all week? Bob replied, I take full responsibility for all year...whatever you think...who cares? or something like that.
    Thanks. I didn't think Stoops was that tone deaf.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

ESPN ran an article citing an "unnamed coach" who said on Saturday that Stoops was exploring options outside of the University. I don't have espn insider, but clickhole would be proud of the way they baited that article. Is there anyone here who can give more information about it? I mean, I could see that as a backdrop for the game or his comments, but I have a hard time believing ESPN is capable of breaking any actual cfb news when they clearly prefer to stir the pot instead.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    ESPN ran an article citing an "unnamed coach" who said on Saturday that Stoops was exploring options outside of the University. I don't have espn insider, but clickhole would be proud of the way they baited that article. Is there anyone here who can give more information about it? I mean, I could see that as a backdrop for the game or his comments, but I have a hard time believing ESPN is capable of breaking any actual cfb news when they clearly prefer to stir the pot instead.
    I
    have wondered whether the off field stuff has been distracting for Stoops...especially the Frank Shannon incident. this seems like the first time i can remember a hint of some friction between the Academic heirarchy and the football program. It seems the academic/administrative board responsible for the title IX ruling on Shannon were being *********s to punish Stoops and not the player.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I can't remember what it said, but it was crap. It's funny how all these "unnamed sources" say exactly what message boards are speculating. Just about anybody on this board could have written the article as long as they pretended our speculation was fact.

Administrator
    vCash

I read the article.

It was a column written by Travis Haney (who used to be a beat writer for OU). I have no doubt it was an opinion piece, and the "sources" were probably fictional. I don't know that for a fact, but I have a really hard time believing that Stoops was exploring other options. First, going into the season, there was national title hype. Clearly, Stoops wasn't exploring anything (except the season) at that time. Then, even with the TCU/KSU losses, OU was still in the hunt for a possible conference title...so, Haney would have us believe that somewhere between the end of the Baylor game and the time he wrote he article, Stoops had explored other opportunities, a source had found out about it and told Haney? Yeah, I'm not buying it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    It may bother you but not me. 75% of fans are morons that would be running the wishbone with Knight if they could. As a head football coach you can't make decisions based on fan reaction or talk radio sentiments.
    In my case a moron that shelled out $170 to watch that debacle. Its all well n good til people decide they'd spend their money on more practical things, especially when it's free on tv. I'll always love my Sooners but when something like Saturday happens it doesn't sit well for the people that show up to see a team that Stoops and staff put together and get completely outclassed by a team from Waco.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    In my case a moron that shelled out $170 to watch that debacle. Its all well n good til people decide they'd spend their money on more practical things, especially when it's free on tv. I'll always love my Sooners but when something like Saturday happens it doesn't sit well for the people that show up to see a team that Stoops and staff put together and get completely outclassed by a team from Waco.
    Completely understandable. However, it doesn't happen often. If it does, then money talks.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Stoops' Sonners have won .930 percent of their home games. His press conference today was right on point. We, and I include myself, need to chill out a bit. This season has been disappointing but beware what you wish for you may just get it.

vCash

Count me in the Stoops-supporter corner. Still disappointed about the game though.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

What's that line from 'The Dark Knight'? "Die a hero or live long enough to become the villain"?

Stoops may very well be at the point Wilkinson was about 1962...the glory days were behind him and things were changing. It sort of happened to Switzer too.

Clearly Coach BS is a very proud man, a competitive one, and this season has been interesting. Perhaps more drama off field than on, what with Mayfield, Shannon, DGB and Mixon. Seems like it's all spilled over into game prep, game plans, everything.

I thought this team was an interesting mix of experience, talent and inexperience. As the great JKM has noted repeatedly, Stoops and Co. tend to get all excited about athletes who aren't very good football players. That seems to be the big downfall here--which is on the coaches for not developing players. Some of them you'll never develop past a certain point because their athleticism allows them to do things most players cannot do, but it doesn't make them good players.

This season has repeatedly reminded me of 2005. A developing line, a talented but erratic QB, top flight running backs, okay receivers, a defense that's rebuilding--strong up front but subpar LB and secondary play. This is very much a rebuilding year, unfortunately, with a ways to go before we reach the promised land.

I suspect things will get fixed. This may the season that makes or breaks Stoops, to some extent. He recognized two years ago that offensive line and defensive line coaches weren't getting it done and made changes. He may recognize here that Heupel, Kish and his brother have also reached a certain point and there's no changing them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some more coaching changes shortly after the season. Heupel cannot seem to get the plays called and in; repeated infractions in time clock management abound. Mike Stoops is equally erratic, devising gameplans that just don't work very well (see WVU two years ago and Baylor this weekend), and then a nearly incomprehensible inability to adjust during the game.

I was not one of those who felt the defense would be greatly improved if Mike came back and Venables left. More changes are in order. Whether Bob can and/or will make those changes will be interesting to see. All that said, here we are, 6-3, likely to finish up 9-4 or 10-3, and disappointed to the point that some people want coaches fired. Including me.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I can't remember what it said, but it was crap. It's funny how all these "unnamed sources" say exactly what message boards are speculating. Just about anybody on this board could have written the article as long as they pretended our speculation was fact.
    Meh, there are so many whorn fan chameleons, stool state sheep chameleons, and network/press toadie chameleons, on the Sooner football message boards today posing as Sooner fans and trying to stir the pot with rumors, that it's just ridiculous. They would like nothing better than for Stoops to pack up and go w/o righting the ship, so to speak, especially the press guys because it gives them something easy to write about w/o doing any homework. Hell, they get most of their stuff off the message boards, anyway.
    I don't know what "outside the university" means but I would guess it means something like hanging it up completely for a year or two like U. Meyer did, and not coaching for a couple of years.
    He probably would take a sabbatical and recharge if he thought Mike or Heupel could get the OU head coaching gig, and keep some of the current assistants with him, but I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell of that happening, w/o completely alienating the fan base. Don't know though.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    Stoops' Sonners have won .930 percent of their home games. His press conference today was right on point. We, and I include myself, need to chill out a bit. This season has been disappointing but beware what you wish for you may just get it.
    I thought his press conference today was great. For all those clamoring for him to take responsibility, he did (again). It's funny, because the naysayers only hear what they want to hear in the press conferences. The "I don't care" thing is a perfect example. It's no wonder Stoops hates the local media, they (and it's really only a couple) do everything they can to get under his skin, and they take every word spoken and look for a headline. Some don't even bother putting it in context.

It's never as good, or bad, as it appears. On to Texas Tech.

Stoops always takes responsibility after the game when we lose. The problem is, we see the same mistakes over and over with no correction. Again, it's all on the boss to fix it when it is broken. At work, when my team underperforms, I can't go to my boss and blame a ton of external factors; the blame would never end. I have to make it right since it's my team and I am in charge. Otherwise, my boss would be justified in picking someone else to make it right. I wish I could show up at a weekly 1:1 and say "yep, my fault, I accept all the blame" and then let that be that. And act like an a$$ in the process. That would be kinda fun. Oh and the $5.2 million would be nice too.

I think no other traditional power school worth its salt would put up with these types of shenanigans from a coach whom the game has clearly passed up at present.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

CV, the defense is basically suffering from the same malaise that Venables injected into it: the soft cushion/mush rush bend-but-do-not-break-except-when-you-do BS. MS has finally brought no essential change to a defense that destroys the careers of promising young talent while letting inferior teams run up career making stats.
    8TC, keep calm, journalists are all azzholes. It's a rule or something.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    I don't disagree but Stoops should be smarter than to antagonize his ticket buyers.
    This.

And, it's because football - or any sport - is supported with discretionary dollars. Those of us who buy season tickets, buy shirt and hats for ourselves and our family, help not only the school a little bit, but also the businesses along the way.

We drive up from the Dallas-Fort Worth area, spending money in Oklahoma along the way at gas stations, restaurants, and hotels. We stay overnight these days because most of the games are at night. But, even with the day games, the gas stations and restaurants along 35 and in and around Norman/OKC get our discretionary money.

It isn't cheap, but we can afford it and choose to spend it OU football in the fall. We, obviously, aren't happy with the coaching staff. But, like the majority of season ticket holders, we won't cancel because we know, at the end of the day, it isn't the University of Bob Stoops, the University of Joe Castiglione, or the University of David Boren.

There have been other coaches, ADs, and presidents before Stoops, Castiglione, and Boren, and the will be others after. It would be nice, though, to see a little humility out of Stoops and the rest. Forcing Boren to get rid of the new band director was a good example of what productive pressure can do.

The problem, though, is that our AD and president are doing the opposite: they keep giving Stoops more money and more extensions. So, to us, the little people stakeholders, it seems as though no one is accountable. And, worse, because they know they are not accountable, they are now appear to be copping an attitude about the lack of success.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

ADDENDUM: To what we call success at OU, anyway, which is challenging for conference and national titles. Losing a conference title, the last game of the season is one thing. Having to hope, in October, for this other team or that other team to lose so many games so we can maybe backdoor into it isn't success at OU.

Got to have a frame of reference because in this crappy conference, plenty of team would be happy just to have a winning record.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I thought his press conference today was great. For all those clamoring for him to take responsibility, he did (again). It's funny, because the naysayers only hear what they want to hear in the press conferences. The "I don't care" thing is a perfect example. It's no wonder Stoops hates the local media, they (and it's really only a couple) do everything they can to get under his skin, and they take every word spoken and look for a headline. Some don't even bother putting it in context.

It's never as good, or bad, as it appears. On to Texas Tech.
    Whether Stoops hates the media or not is irrelevant. He's paid $5 million plus for the job, part of which is to deal with the media.

And, honestly, if we're comparing IQs, my bet is Bob's isn't likely to be much higher or lower than the journalists asking him questions. He's a football coach not a rocket scientist.