SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

post game comments

lol, just listened to stoop's post game....lol ridiculous.

"roughing the punter is a poor decision, we needed the ball back.." he DID NOT say it was a poor COACH'S decision...*(to call for a punt block)

The first drive after half....we, we, we....NEVER said COACHES didn't make changes..."poor job by all of us".

I know....he's got a tough job, to make excuses after an a$$ whipping...

YES I want him to say, it was the coach's fault, be a man...your over 40 (lol) Talking about the first drive..."we didn't blow any coverages..they just got behind us and beat us on a few"
    Last edited by Soonerjeepman; 11/9/2014 at 10:56 PM.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: post game comments

As much as Stoops drives me nuts he isn't going to call anyone out. Now "reporters" could lead him in a better direction, for instance, "Coach Stoops it seems that Julian Wilson got beat in press coverage and giving a cushion, is there a reason you didn't make a personnel change?".

Now when the reporter called out Williams, Wilson, Knight, etc. Stoops didn't disagree but he isn't going to be the one. Now you and I sitting at home have no issue calling guys out but we don't have to sell the program to recruits and my assumption is a lot of these talented guys want a coach who will give them praise even when they stink.

I've been saying this since TCU, I believe Julian Wilson thinks he's a good corner and the world is against him. Now he's wrong and I see, you see and may be some coaches see it but he doesn't.

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    lol, just listened to stoop's post game....lol ridiculous.

"roughing the punter is a poor decision, we needed the ball back.." he DID NOT say it was a poor COACH'S decision.

The first drive after half....we, we, we....NEVER said COACHES didn't make changes..."poor job by all of us".

I know....he's got a tough job, to make excuses after an a$$ whipping...

YES I want him to say, it was the coach's fault, be a man...your over 40 (lol) Talking about the first drive..."we didn't blow any coverages..they just got behind us and beat us on a few"
    I'm not a fan of a lot of the choices the coaches made yesterday defensively but I doubt either Stoops brother ordered a weak roughing of the punter. Why would that be a coach's decision to rough him?

My interpretation is he was thinking that the call to block the punt was a poor decision, since Baylor was against the wind. The coach can't be blamed for a player who runs into the punter. I was taught not to do that in 8th grade ball. Every player kinda knows it by heart.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernIowaSooner View Post
    I'm not a fan of a lot of the choices the coaches made yesterday defensively but I doubt either Stoops brother ordered a weak roughing of the punter. Why would that be a coach's decision to rough him?
    The decision was to go for the block vs. set up for a return. I agree it was a poor choice because there is always a risk of a roughing call and the odds of a block are poor. They were punting into a stiff wind and were not going to net much on the punt anyway, so the risk didn't seem worth it. Also, our offense had moved the ball well on the previous drive.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    My interpretation is he was thinking that the call to block the punt was a poor decision, since Baylor was against the wind. The coach can't be blamed for a player who runs into the punter. I was taught not to do that in 8th grade ball. Every player kinda knows it by heart.
    If was just his momentum that carried him into the punter's landing zone as he went over a blocker. Just a fluke, but again, stuff like that happens when a block is attempted so the risk must be taken into account when making the call. I thought we went for a block on the previous punt too, so the coaches must have thought there was a weakness in their protection.

Sooner Benchwarmer Sooner Schemer's Avatar
    vCash

Doubt we would have gone for the block if they trusted anyone not named Shepard to return punts.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Schemer View Post
    Doubt we would have gone for the block if they trusted anyone not named Shepard to return punts.
    Could be. But all they ask of Shepard is to field it w/o fumbling and it appeared Sanchez could do that just fine. We have zero punt return game. Usually you go for a block to get a game changing play and you think you have the element of surprise. That would have been a great tactic in the 3rd qtr if only we could have forced a punt

vCash

Well, I'm glad we have a coach that isn't very good (or experienced) at post-beatdown pressers.

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The decision was to go for the block vs. set up for a return. I agree it was a poor choice because there is always a risk of a roughing call and the odds of a block are poor. They were punting into a stiff wind and were not going to net much on the punt anyway, so the risk didn't seem worth it. Also, our offense had moved the ball well on the previous drive.
    I know, I was just being a bit facetious towards the way it as written.

vCash

you seriously think I thought they called the player to rough the punter? lol what an idiotic statement. NO, it WAS the coach's decision to "try and block the punt"...which was not needed. You take the cake with that one...

*edit...gotcha, didn't see your last response.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    As much as Stoops drives me nuts he isn't going to call anyone out. Now "reporters" could lead him in a better direction, for instance, "Coach Stoops it seems that Julian Wilson got beat in press coverage and giving a cushion, is there a reason you didn't make a personnel change?".

Now when the reporter called out Williams, Wilson, Knight, etc. Stoops didn't disagree but he isn't going to be the one. Now you and I sitting at home have no issue calling guys out but we don't have to sell the program to recruits and my assumption is a lot of these talented guys want a coach who will give them praise even when they stink.

I've been saying this since TCU, I believe Julian Wilson thinks he's a good corner and the world is against him. Now he's wrong and I see, you see and may be some coaches see it but he doesn't.
    I don't think players competing at this level expect praise for poor performance or mistakes. They are like any person who works hard; they need direction and they need criticism. But not public humiliation. 40 years ago, a boss would be critical of a person in front of coworkers. Good supervisors don't do it that way anymore. We fans tend to treat the Sooners and competition like they are NFL teams. They are 18, 19, 20, 21 year old kids. A coach does not throw his players under the bus so jerks like Hoover can write an article to sell papers.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

He was not saying that at all. He said it was dumb idea to go for a punt block because punt was into the wind anyway...He was saying it was a dumb decision by the coaches to order a punt block. No, he did not use the word "Coach's decision" but that is who "we" is.

vCash

I figured it was pretty obvious...my bad on the wording. I was too pissed...lol..couldn't think straight. (not really just missed it).

I do want to add, I totally agree about not calling kids out...or even individual coaches...ex " special teams coach X really messed up by calling that punt block...we didn't need it" but I would expect HIM to say we (coaches) messed up on that one.

I also realize that that could be bulletin board material for rival coaches in recruiting. I also think he places a ton of blame on "execution" I read that as players...rather than scheme...= coaches.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I was surprised it was called a roughing penalty anyway--if you are going to rough him, get a real good shot, not the guy stepping on your head after he kicks it.

they still have the 5 yard running into the punter penalty, don't they?
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post

they still have the 5 yard running into the punter penalty, don't they?
    They do. But as the announcer pointed out after the replay, if the hit is on the plant leg as in this case, it is usually called roughing. Still borderline, IMO, but can't say it was the wrong call.