SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

On official website...says it all....

Corey Coleman set career highs of 15 catches and 224 yards to help No. 10 Baylor roll past No. 16 Oklahoma 48-14 on Saturday.

It was the most receptions ever by a player against the Sooners. Coleman also caught a touchdown pass and ran for another score as the Bears (8-1, 5-1 Big 12, No. 12 in CFP) maintained their conference and national title hopes.

Bryce Petty, who repeatedly said he was "ready for OU" after the win over Kansas the week before, proved it by completing 32 of 42 passes for 387 yards and a touchdown. It was Baylor's first road win in 12 tries against the Sooners (6-3, 3-3, No. 15 CFP), and the Bears' first road win against a ranked team since Art Briles took over as head coach in 2008...actually since 1991

Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight was carted off after being sacked in the fourth quarter.

Baylor has won three of the past four meetings with the Sooners after losing the first 20. The Bears defeated the Sooners 41-12 last year in Waco.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: On official website...says it all....

Says a lot to me about Stoops, when he flippantly responded to reports of Petty's "we're ready for OU" with "who cares. We're ready for Baylor." It's painfully obvious that, in no way, shape, or form, was OU ready for Baylor. In fact, based on the chess match, I'm not sure I'd have OU winning 1 game in 10 with Baylor. "Ready for Baylor", huh?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

when I coached basketball, I always had the philosophy, ya can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit...guess our D isn't as stellar as was thought at the beginning of the year. Sure behind closed doors the Stoops brothers were a bit nervous.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

That doesn't say, however, where the special ingredient comes from. I think there's enough evidence to say that it's not the players, unless you want to make the argument that the coaches have been recruiting and signing players who lack talent for a number of years now--in which case, that's back on the coaches again for doing so.

The whole thing has the look to me like stale group think that innovation has passed by. We're becoming the Kodak of college football. What I saw yesterday was a coaching staff that didn't seem to have a clue how to counter the opposition. The opening drive of the 3rd Q. summed it up.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    when I coached basketball, I always had the philosophy, ya can't make chicken salad out of chicken $hit...guess our D isn't as stellar as was thought at the beginning of the year. Sure behind closed doors the Stoops brothers were a bit nervous.
    We have a winner! Coaches in press conferences typically give you coach speak. Stoops wasn't gonna say, "Wilson can't cover a toddler in a playpen and he's the second best corner we have".

I think the talent is there at some positions but not others and teams have exploited that. We have all joked about it but Trevor looks a lot like Landry out there. Landry had his moments both great and terrible but unless something miraculous happened the team was looking at 2-3 losses a year. Knight is the same way but right now there may be 2 or 3 QBs in the Country that can handle the pressure and perform at a National Championship level.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....unlike contenders we are missing impact players in many facets, we may have a really good cover corner, return man, outside linebacker, left tackle and running back but that is about it....the dominant squads of the past had impact players all over the field with quality depth..we can put it together for a series or two against better teams but against a weaker opponent it is masked or we come across as fools gold....I'm going to point the finger at recruiting and development

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ....unlike contenders we are missing impact players in many facets, we may have a really good cover corner, return man, outside linebacker, left tackle and running back but that is about it....the dominant squads of the past had impact players all over the field with quality depth..we can put it together for a series or two against better teams but against a weaker opponent it is masked or we come across as fools gold....I'm going to point the finger at recruiting and development

ss
    what's odd is the Sugar Bowl seems so long ago. where did those players go?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    what's odd is the Sugar Bowl seems so long ago. where did those players go?
    Saunders, Bester, Clay and Colvin all graduated. Millard too, but he wasn't in that game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Saunders, Bester, Clay and Colvin all graduated. Millard too, but he wasn't in that game.
    Indeed. Other than Clay, where I think we've done very well at RB, every one of those guys is *substantially* missed. And even if production at RB has been good, it's impossible to say how much leadership or charisma Clay took with him when he left.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    Indeed. Other than Clay, where I think we've done very well at RB, every one of those guys is *substantially* missed. And even if production at RB has been good, it's impossible to say how much leadership or charisma Clay took with him when he left.
    ....hammer meet nail

....where are the leaders? The intimidators? The enforcers? Recent teams don't seem to care if someone comes in and takes their lunch-money

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I feel like this team is in a similar predicament as one of the HS teams I saw a few years ago. They were top 5 in the state, and they only graduated 4 seniors (two went both ways, so 16/22 starters returned), so they seemed like obvious picks as title contenders. Those 16 players would naturally get better, right? Well, almost all of them did get at least a little better.

The problem is, statistically, 16 players improving from 8.0 players to 8.5 players is completely negated (and then some) by replacing two 10.0 players with two 5.0 players. I think that's the predicament we're in.

Our returning starters may well all be a little better than they were last year, but Wilson/Neal/Young are average at best, and they had big shoes to fill left by Colvin/Saunders/Bester. That's been our issue right there. If we still had Saunders, Colvin, Bester, (and Shepard), we'd probably be cruising to the playoffs right now. We'd at least have beaten KSU and TCU, and the Baylor game would have been a lot more interesting.

The cool thing is, we're still young, so we'll get another chance to fill those same holes next year. As long as Shepard and/or DGB sticks around, we should be fine at WR. My concerns are in the secondary. Prove me wrong, Mike!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    Agreed. We have more physically talented runners than Clay, but he almost never made a mistake be it running, blocking or catching. And he was almost impossible to bring down short of the marker when we really needed a 1st down. We've really missed having Ford out there as he would have filled some of that gap. We have not come close to filling the holes left by Saunders and Colvin. Especially considering what Saunders did on punt returns as well as at WR.