Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Complete letdown.

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    I am stating without equivocation that firing stoops would be a mistake. I'm also saying with certainty that if no one is let go after this stoops needs to be evaluated. It's been 13 years since a title, and it appears we aren't sniffing it for a while, at Oklahoma, that is unacceptable. Also, consider stoops pay, I have every right (as you do) to state the obvious. In general, we are a poorly coached team...
    Fair enough. I completely agree that a major evaluation needs to occur. Like I said, I'm not sold that Josh needs to go, but if he is the issue on offense, then Stoops needs to make that decision. Same for the defense.

I just don't get worked up over Stoops' paycheck. I think all coaches are overpaid, but it's not like the next guy would be making significantly less. It is what it is, and it's not going to change. You do have the right to complain about Stoops (or any of the coaches for that matter), and they should expect that...it comes with the job.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

A few of you have said we didn't come to play or weren't prepared. I disagree, we were in control of the game after the first quarter but the int changed it all. We don't have any leadership on this team to get these guys to overcome adversity.
    When the pick-nearly 6 happened you could see our players heads drop.
    Lack of leadership is killing us!

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    JW looked to be out of line, but if Mike said that he should apologize. Leadership 101 is praising publicly and critiquing privately. That's a chicken-**** comment. Or am I misunderstanding the context? I just can't stand it when coaches throw players under the bus.
    I'm not a fan of players yelling at coaches period. Even if JW was right, that's not the way to express it...and not the place. However, things get heated in competition, and that stuff happens (it's certainly not the first or last time). I think Mike was trying to deflect when asked about the situation. I think he was saying "Julian couln't tackle anyone" with the implication that he (Julian) was mad at himself and that's why he was frustrated. I don't think Mike meant it as JW was playing bad and that's why they were yelling. It's hard to put it in text, but I took it as Mike trying to evade the question (while not calling out JW). I do NOT think Mike was throwing JW under the bus (I hope that makes more sense). I think anyone that calls out a college athlete in public is pathetic (I'm not talking about you or I on a message board, but the media, coaches, etc).

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by azheat4u View Post
    A few of you have said we didn't come to play or weren't prepared. I disagree, we were in control of the game after the first quarter but the int changed it all. We don't have any leadership on this team to get these guys to overcome adversity.
    I think you could be on the mark.

Offensively, we don't seem to have much leadership on the field. I think it's also apparent how much we lack Colvin's leadership in the secondary. I didn't think we'd have a problem with that, but it seems to be an issue (not just today either).

I agree that we started the game well. The pick 6 started the snowball down the hill and we were never able to get out of the way.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Hard to say where the turning point was. The INT certainly hurt, but we responded by getting the big play to Quick. But then we couldn't finish and Hunnicutt missed another short FG. But the roughing the punter call after the defense got a stop seemed to be the big momentum turn that never switched back.

vCash

Thanks for the context, 8time. That helps, and it's why I asked.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I think the letdown started with the missed FG.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

At least Notre Dame lost today

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    good post.

bu had like 18 penalties for 200 yards against wv..sure that was a big part.

I kept waiting for ms to tell his DB's to jam the receivers....never happened. The talking heads even said that on game day. wv was successful because of that....

hell TAKE A CHANCE cause what we were doing sure wasn't working.

The other HUGE coaching mistake...and I said it at the time...going for the block punt. We finally held them...it was only a 3 point lead, against the wind. Virtually impossible to block clean. HUGE mistake.

I hope, won't happen, that bob and company come out and say "it is on us coaches....we screwed up".
    The only reason why I think they played so soft at the corners was Baylor's preferred offense is the over the top passing game and for years Mike's defense played aggressive and got burned deep often. The soft corners can work if you make tackles, the defense couldn't all day long and 7 yard outs became 30 yard pass plays. They chose a death by a thousand cuts rather than the quick kill. The talent just isn't at the level needed to contain an offense like that especially when your own offense shoots itself in the foot all day.

I also feel that the punt block was a turning point, their return game is better than the block game. A punt block is a high risk, minimal chance of success play. It was a poor, desperate call.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The only reason why I think they played so soft at the corners was Baylor's preferred offense is the over the top passing game and for years Mike's defense played aggressive and got burned deep often. The soft corners can work if you make tackles, the defense couldn't all day long and 7 yard outs became 30 yard pass plays. They chose a death by a thousand cuts rather than the quick kill. The talent just isn't at the level needed to contain an offense like that especially when your own offense shoots itself in the foot all day.

I also feel that the punt block was a turning point, their return game is better than the block game. A punt block is a high risk, minimal chance of success play. It was a poor, desperate call.
    Agreed (about the soft coverage).

The penalty on the punt was a big turning point. Just seemed like a crazy call. We seemed to have played so conservative all year on punt return, and then we bring pressure (on a punt into the wind). If it works, we're probably having a different conversation. It didn't, and the Bears went on to score on that drive.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    At least Notre Dame lost today
    As a "I remember Dick Lynch", it made me smile when I saw that in the paper!

On other matters, the 8-10 yard cushions allowed Petty to pick us apart...anyone
    else remember Josh and his "dink and dunk" all the way to the NC? It appeared
    so obvious to all who watched the game, who announced the game and who
    cringed during the thumping...my remark to my wife was that Baylor was going
    to do to us what we did to ISU. I don't think it was an issue of tackling...look at
    what WVU did to Petty...jammed his receivers every time...early, often, hard...
    that's what safeties are for, to back up cb's/db's while Striker/Grissom and Co.
    get in Petty's face, also early, often and hard. Petty gets the ball away in 3 or 4
    seconds, when he has someone to throw to....ummm, just a guess here, but if his
    boyz are jammed, he doesn't have the time and, well, you can figure it out from
    here.

After OUr two 3 and outs were followed with two TD's, IMHO, had our D done the
    above, we all would not be wringing our hands, hoping for a decent bowl and thinking
    about how "young" we are...(truly, look right now at our QB's, RB's, WR's (except Shep).
    We have a monster front line and healthy rotation there, a$$ kickers on the D's front
    seven and talented (learning) secondary. Having said all that, it is up to the coaching
    staff....jus sayin....

vCash

If nothing else, OU was evidently a very good host. Reports from Baylor fans on their experience in Norman (which is in line with my experiences of watching games in Norman) were overwhelmingly positive.

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=283559

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by azheat4u View Post
    This is so true. I had a bad feeling about this game so I made other plans Sat morning and DVRd the game. Planned to pick it up at halftime and not have to watch any commercials (yay!). My wife mentioned that TK through a game changing interception and I was like, Im sure he did but probably not that big of a deal. She was dead on. Sooners were looking good til that happened and its like the team said, "here we go again" and gave up.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...