Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The play that Mangino and Leach fought over in 1999

Cool story, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Stoops on 1999 season
    “We’re a few games into it. Mike… You know boys and their system, they have their system and that’s their system… There’s other good plays out there, and Mark kinda saw one that he wanted to kinda run. He wanted to put it in an inside drill.

“Mike said something to the effect of, ‘Well, you can practice all you want, but I’m not gonna call it.’

“Mark almost went over the table. I had to get between the two of them. I had them in my office for a few minutes, and then everything was cooled down.”
    I'd love to know what that play was that Mark wanted but Mike didn't. If any of you know, please share. Otherwise, just guess.

Since it's Mike Leach we're talking about, I will guess a handoff to running back up the middle play. No draw, no play action, just hand the ball off after an under center snap and let the running back plow through the line.

vCash

Re: The play that Mangino and Leach fought over in 1999

A handoff to the tailback

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    A handoff to the tailback
    LOL

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Mark has a conference championship ring, a national championship ring, and won an Orange Bowl as a head coach.

Leach has...his one page playsheet and a stuffed pirate somewhere in his office.

Still thankful for the day Leach left.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Lol at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    Lol at you.
    Lol at the Wazzu instead for hiring Leach. Unless they upset USC Saturday, Leach will have guided them to yet another losing season. Although, his quarterback will have set many passing records...which is all Leach cares about anyway. Winning is for suckers, eh, pirate?
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

The meltdown to lose the bowl last postseason was about the last time I was going to defend Mike Leach. He gives his teams chances to win every game they're in regardless of the opponent (as OU has unfortunately discovered) but his quirky style also allows opponents back into games that his teams shouldn't, like the bowl Wazzu lost last year. I think they had at least a 3 TD lead at one point and the players were yucking it up on the sideline. Giggle giggle giggle... whoops we lose instead of win. Darn.

I still think he has an exciting offense, but I'm glad he coaches someone else's team. He might be good for Wazzu over the long run if they tolerate him longer, but at a major program he'd be canned in 3-5 seasons.
    Last edited by badger; 11/3/2014 at 10:24 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AzianSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Bob's expertise is defense. He usually has a great team when he has had a great OC. Does he have one now?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I still think he has an exciting offense, but I'm glad he coaches someone else's team. He might be good for Wazzu over the long run if they tolerate him longer, but at a major program he'd be canned in 3-5 seasons.
    I think he knows that about himself and why if he got a sniff at a major program he never really responded. He is a guy that needs to operate at some obscure outpost, that is why Lubbock and Pullman were perfect fits.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I would love to have Leach calling our plays for us.

Your posts are so mind numbingly Ill-informed that it is actually difficult to think of what to say to them.

Are you expecting leach to be competing for championships at wsu by now? Do you have any idea how terrible wsu was when he got there?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    Your posts are so mind numbingly Ill-informed that it is actually difficult to think of what to say to them.

Are you expecting leach to be competing for championships at wsu by now? Do you have any idea how terrible wsu was when he got there?
    If you're talking to me, yes, I know that Wulff left the cupboard bare, but I think we all know how impatient college football fans are, even at the most lowly worm programs. Hell, KU won't hold onto a coach for more than a few seasons. What do you think your football program is... your basketball program? Lol Kansas

vCash

Mangino is a genius OC! Players don't matter!

vCash

Leach hasn't competed for championships anywhere. No one is waiting for Leach to compete for championships, not even Leach himself. He's a joke.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    If you're talking to me, yes, I know that Wulff left the cupboard bare, but I think we all know how impatient college football fans are, even at the most lowly worm programs. Hell, KU won't hold onto a coach for more than a few seasons. What do you think your football program is... your basketball program? Lol Kansas
    I'd say the cupboard was as bare, if not moreso, at KU when Mangino took over there than when Leach took over at Wazzu. KU had been through six losing seasons in a row before Mangino arrived; Wazzu five before Leach.

The difference between the two is that Mangino recruited for both sides of the ball, something Leach will never do. And, that is why Leach will never will a championship...until the day he goes to coach in the league where there is no need for defenses: the Arena League.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    I'd say the cupboard was as bare, if not moreso, at KU when Mangino took over there than when Leach took over at Wazzu.
    And they're having different levels of success? Let's look at their first three years:

Mangino/Leach

2-10/3-9
    6-7/6-7
    4-7/2-7

Looks about identical to me.

The difference between the two is that Mangino recruited for both sides of the ball, something Leach will never do. And, that is why Leach will never will a championship...until the day he goes to coach in the league where there is no need for defenses: the Arena League.
    When did Mangino win a championship? Don't say when he was an OC, because by those standards, Strong won a NC at Florida. Also, Mangino only recruited one side of the ball that year, seeing as he was the OC.

vCash

Leach hasn't competed for championships anywhere. No one is waiting for Leach to compete for championships, not even Leach himself. He's a joke.

vCash

So, what you're saying is, Bob Stoops doesn't have two national title rings, one from Florida and the other from OU? That'll be news to him.

Mangino, as OC, has a national title ring. Leach, as either OC or head coach, does not. Nor will he ever. Okay...maybe if he goes down to coach a DIII school like his mentor, Hal Mumme, did, maybe then he can challenge for a title.

Then, as a head coach, Mangino led KU to an Orange Bowl victory. Any BCS wins for Leach? How about BCS appearances? None? Yeah, none.

But, anywhere there are scholarship players, he doesn't have a prayer. He's nothing but a one-trick pony.

Quote Originally Posted by AzianSooner View Post
    Bob's expertise is defense. He usually has a great team when he has had a great OC. Does he have one now?

No!

vCash

So, what you're saying is, Bob Stoops doesn't have two national title rings, one from Florida and the other from OU? That'll be news to him.
    You inferred that Leach can't win championships like Mangino, because Leach only recruits one side of the ball. How many sides of the ball do you think Mangino was recruiting as our OFFENSIVE coordinator?

Then, as a head coach, Mangino led KU to an Orange Bowl victory. Any BCS wins for Leach? How about BCS appearances? None? Yeah, none.
    Weak. 2008 Texas Tech was light years ahead of 2007 KU. KU didn't even belong in that Orange Bowl. Do you know how many ranked opponents the Jayhawks beat in the regular season? One. K-State was rated #24 when KU beat them...of course, KSU went on to a 5-7 record, and wasn't even bowl eligible, so that ranking was unwarranted. The only ranked team they played was Mizzou (who was also overrated based off of whipping up on the Big XII North), and Mizzou thoroughly dominated them for most of that game. Kansas managed to avoid Texas Tech, Oklahoma, AND Texas that year. The only reason they snuck into a BCS bowl is because Mizzou got stuck playing Oklahoma twice.

Another fun Big XII fact...Mangino went 0-4 against Leach. He also never beat the Longhorns...or the Sooners. So much for competing for National Championships. At least he had a winning record against ONE Big XII team...congrats on going 6-2 against ISU.