Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Re: Brian and the Boz debuts on ESPN on Tuesday

bosworth was pretty critical about casillas in his book. I just don't think that they ever got along to begin with. As I remember it in the book, casillas believed that bosworth's success was due in large part to the dominant defensive line play.

Irregardless, Brian Bosworth was a beast and the most dominant college linebacker in NCAA history. The boz was the reason that I became an OU fan. As a 10 year old kid in 1985, I sported a "boz" (haircut) and idolized him.

I thought the show was great. At the time of the book I was really too young to realize the impact and repercussions that it had. Those depicted negatively in the book have every right to still be mad, sooner nation still has the right to be be mad about the fallout, but you can't dispute the magic that happened on the field, and him being instrumental in making that happen.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

That was an outstanding documentary. I always loved the Boz. His career coincided with my Army career and his larger than life persona just hit a chord. He talked the talk, and he walked the walk. He made a lot of mistakes, and did some stupid things, but I think he honestly regrets all that.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Casillas was/is an *******....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The Boz was before my time. I had no idea Duke Nukem played for OU in the 80s! Seriously, I hope he got some royalties from them.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

It was good but mainly old news.
    posse member

vCash

Wasn't Casillas one of the guys giving Switzer a hard time in Dallas, too? Seems like he, Aikman, and a few others were letting their tongues wag quite a bit about Switzer and some crap about Blake? Hard to remember now.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Yup. They were both aholes.
    posse member

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

one game I remember was ku/OU in Lawrence, prob 1982 (fall)...cold, wet...nasty day. OU won like 50/s to 3...maybe 0. Boz hit a rb I believe...Boz's helmet went flying....awesome.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

Loved it. Looked forward to it but it was almost entirely OU football and awesomeness from the 80s!

I also had the Boz haircut. Sported it for a Fall JH Baseball tournament (I was the catcher) at Lookeba Sickles (not my home). He inspired a lot of people in a lot of ways, hopefully in positive ways.

Didn't realize Switzer leaned on him for so much leadership from such an early time.

Great interviews and footage in this one. Woke up early and watched it Wednesday morning at 4:30 am.

Checking into some Boz football cards and posters on the ebays.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    one game I remember was ku/OU in Lawrence, prob 1982 (fall)...cold, wet...nasty day. OU won like 50/s to 3...maybe 0. Boz hit a rb I believe...Boz's helmet went flying....awesome.
    It was '86 & was my first OU game to see in person. The funniest thing I remember from that one is that ABC was doing it & Keith Jackson was the announcer. After OU had just scored to go up around 50 or so (final was 64-3, FWIW), they were supposed to cut away for a commercial break. The powers that be were a bit slow in doing such, & Jackson, thinking he was off the air, can be heard plain as day saying "What the hell are we doing here?!?!"
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Administrator
    vCash

The best individual game the Boz had at OU was the 1987 Orange Bowl against Miami. We lost (another national title chance), but he played like a man possessed. The documentary did a good job of highlighting that game/performance. It made losing suck even more, because he played so damn good.

On another note...I remember being in Norman for the Miami/OU game, and when the two teams came out before the game, the Boz was standing at midfield pointing at the Canes and talking ****. It got the stadium worked up into a frenzy. That was another loss to Miami, but it was the birth of the '85 national title team.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    The best individual game the Boz had at OU was the 1987 Orange Bowl against Miami. We lost (another national title chance), but he played like a man possessed. The documentary did a good job of highlighting that game/performance. It made losing suck even more, because he played so damn good.

On another note...I remember being in Norman for the Miami/OU game, and when the two teams came out before the game, the Boz was standing at midfield pointing at the Canes and talking ****. It got the stadium worked up into a frenzy. That was another loss to Miami, but it was the birth of the '85 national title team.
    Except that he didn't play in the 1987 Orange Bowl, which was against Arkansas. And, having been kicked off the team prior to the 1987 season and going into the NFL Supplemental Draft that summer, he didn't play in the 1988 Orange Bowl either...the one against Miami.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Except that he didn't play in the 1987 Orange Bowl, which was against Arkansas. And, having been kicked off the team prior to the 1987 season and going into the NFL Supplemental Draft that summer, he didn't play in the 1988 Orange Bowl either...the one against Miami.
    You're correct, it was against Miami...in the Orange Bowl...but, it wasn't THE Orange Bowl.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    yep. I went to that OB for the 1987 season(January 1988) Holieway had gotten hurt earlier, and Charles Thompson was QB. Barry didn't have OU pass the ball even once until the 4th quarter. Miami had 8 on the DL the entire game. I was SOOOOO PO'd!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

You're correct, it was against Miami...in the Orange Bowl(1988)...but, it wasn't THE Orange Bowl.
    HUH?!?!?
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    It was '86 "
    dang can't believe I was that far off...could have swore it was after my Sr yr, fr yr in college...I was at ksu and a buddy and I drove over, my sis was at ku. guess it was that year...ugh. Gettin old~
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    HUH?!?!?
    Why did you add "(1988)" to my quote?

vCash

Why did you add "(1988)" to my quote?
    to be sure we were talking about the same game. The January 1 game 1988 between OU and Thug U was THE Orange Bowl game, played after the regular season games.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Just watched it today. Loved it. Wonder how much he could auction off that t-shirt for?

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    HUH?!?!?
    OU played a regular season game at Miami on September 27, 1986 in the Orange Bowl Stadium.