SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Wonder who said what (Stoops and Mangino)

From DMN...

Oklahoma didn’t have a great stretch after its last bye, but Bob Stoops expects things to go differently this time.

Here’s what coach Bob Stoops had to say at his weekly press conference:After a 1-2 stretch following the last week off, which included losses to Big 12 favorites TCU and Kansas State, the Sooners head to Ames, Iowa to face 2-5 Iowa State hoping to get things right.
    On how the bye week helped recover from injuries:
    Stoops: “I feel like we’re in good shape coming into this week. A little bit better health-wise. Keith Ford is expected to practice today and Trevor Knight, after being banged up in the last game against Kansas State, was able to practice the last couple days of the week last week and is in good shape, better coming into today’s practice.”
    On Iowa State:
    Stoops: “Again, a team that’s really played in a lot of tough, tight games. Much better than their record indicates at 2-5. You look at the great game they just played down in Austin against Texas, 45-45 game and Texas makes two big plays with 20 seconds to go to put themselves in field goal position to win the game. But a really hard-fought game by both teams and a high-scoring game. You could see Sam Richardson, their quarterback, continues to make improvement in being comfortable in what they’re doing. Coach [Mark] Mangino is doing a great job there with the offense. You could see again in their last several games, they’ve really put up more points, more yards, much more consistent in how they’re playing. Defensively, with Coach [Paul] Rhoads, they always play very disciplined, sound, hard in the way they play. They’ve had a few other, I think K-State was another 3-4 point game down towards the end that they lost in a close one as well. So we’ve gotta continue to make improvement and go up there and win. Turnover battle will be a big deal, that cost us in the last game, but believe for the most part through the year we’ve been really positive in that situation so hopefully we can just play our best and give ourselves a chance to win.”
    On what the defense can do to play better:
    Stoops: “Well, in some instances I thought they did do a lot better job a week ago. We were much better on third downs. As much as anything, a little tackling. A time or two, when they had a big play, we miss a tackle. So, just a little bit of fundamentals, being in the right spot tackling and at times giving up a big pass. When we have a guy in coverage, we have to be able to cover him.”
    On Aaron Ripkoski’s ejection ruling:
    Stoops: “[The Big 12] deemed it a correct call. So it’s just something he’s got to, either change his, in that brief second, change his angle or leave his head up or go to the knee or do something differently. So again, it’ll be a teaching point for the team.
    On if Mark Mangino’s offensive philosophy has changed at all:
    Stoops: “It’s a lot of things that are similar. He’s spreading it out. You see the quarterback ability to run and throw. They don’t overdo it with him running, but he’s athletic enough, he escapes some pockets and does some things like that. But it’s well balanced. They’re going to try to run and throw it. Similar attack to what you’re seeing from most people with the 10 personnel, meaning no tight ends and four wides, or 11 personnel, with three wides and a tight end, and the tight end is either on the line or in a full back position. You’re seeing that from about everybody so very similar.”
    On if there were thoughts of bringing Mark Mangino back to Oklahoma:
    Stoops: “Sure, I’m not going to detail that. Between he and I, there was thought of it.”
    On coaching against Mangino:
    Stoops: “I don’t like seeing him across the way as much as I don’t with Coach [Bill] Snyder and three-fourths of that staff that I coached with as well. So you hate in these situations where you have to do it. I keep in touch with Mark, I’m glad he’s dong well and he’s in the conference and I’m sure he’ll continue to make them better.”
    On SEC teams being ahead of Big 12 teams in the polls:
    Stoops: “I can’t sit there and, listen, I’ve been in that debate enough. Not during the season. You guys can debate it all you want. I think there’s a lot of parity everywhere. When you look at all these teams and you look at Kansas State and Auburn, how that game turned out and how they played against them. So, you draw your comparisons however you want.”
    On if he expects OU to be back in the hunt after the releases of the College Football Playoff poll Tuesday:
    Stoops: “Well again, it may not, I don’t know. We’ll just have to see how they see everything compared to the way everyone else sees it. We’ll just have to wait and see where it goes.”
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Administrator
    vCash

Re: Wonder who said what (Stoops and Mangino)

I remember Mangino coming to Norman, and there was speculation that he would be added to the staff. I think had things been different, he would have ended up at OU. At that time, Bob was closing in on making some major changes with coaches on the staff. Wonder how close he was to hiring the big man...