Administrator
    vCash

Texas Tech is in a full nosedive to rock bottom

I figured TCU would beat taco tech, but I had no idea it would turn out as bad as it did.

82-27!

I was pulling for TCU to score 90.

The best part of watching it was thinking about taco tech giving Kliff the extension and pay raise. Classic tech.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Texas Tech is in a full nosedive to rock bottom

I wonder if they're going over the fine print now to see any outs. Maybe misconduct for impersonating a coach?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I wonder if they're going over the fine print now to see any outs. Maybe misconduct for impersonating a coach?
    They have to be at this point. I suspect they'll bring him back next year, and if he repeats the same horrible job, they'll either have found a loop hole, or will just bite the bullet and buy him out.

Tech's remaining schedule is:

Texas
    Oklahoma
    @ Iowa State
    Baylor

They are currently 3-5, and I don't see two more wins on their schedule. Texas and Iowa State aren't gimmie games, both of those teams could certainly beat Tech. There's real possibility they go 3-9 this year. And that's including an FCS game as one of their wins.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    They have to be at this point. I suspect they'll bring him back next year, and if he repeats the same horrible job, they'll either have found a loop hole, or will just bite the bullet and buy him out.

Tech's remaining schedule is:

Texas
    Oklahoma
    @ Iowa State
    Baylor

They are currently 3-5, and I don't see two more wins on their schedule. Texas and Iowa State aren't gimmie games, both of those teams could certainly beat Tech. There's real possibility they go 3-9 this year. And that's including an FCS game as one of their wins.
    Giving up 82 points is the kind of loser loss that not only gets the coach canned but the AD that hired him terminated as well.

I don't even think that as bad as some of the Pirate's defenses were, they let anyone put up over 80 on them. If they did it was probably something like 82-79 in quadruple OT.

The good news for Tech is they weren't playing Baylor. Briles wouldn't have called off the dogs and continually run the base play up the middle after he got into the 60s. He would've tried for a hundred.

With aTm's nose dive (some say return to normal) this year, it does solve the question of "who made who" with the Johnny Paycheck vs the Aggie offensive coaching staff, debate.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

The hiring of Kliff is the equivalent of the Blake hiring, hire a young alumni to placate the fan base about a bad hire before. He is in so far over his head, no one else was looking at Kingsbury as a head coach yet. His ego wouldn't allow him to do what Stoops did in hiring some veteran coaches to help mentor the young coaches, Blake pretty much had his assistants chosen for him. He has been a dismal failure.

My Tech wife wasn't sure about his hiring, my Tech alumni co-worker was all about it but then he went to school there at the time Kliff was playing there.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....no wonder he wears dark shades

....dork

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

vCash

two Leach proteges going at it

TCU is killing it with that offense and the defense they have always had

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Flagstaffsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Miss me yet?

posse member

Lets watch TT hang 40 on us in Lubbock. It's almost a lock.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

They could invoke the 80-points-scored-on clause or the margin-of-defeat-exceeds-50-points clause to show Kliffy the highway.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The hiring of Kliff is the equivalent of the Blake hiring, hire a young alumni to placate the fan base about a bad hire before. He is in so far over his head, no one else was looking at Kingsbury as a head coach yet. His ego wouldn't allow him to do what Stoops did in hiring some veteran coaches to help mentor the young coaches, Blake pretty much had his assistants chosen for him. He has been a dismal failure.

My Tech wife wasn't sure about his hiring, my Tech alumni co-worker was all about it but then he went to school there at the time Kliff was playing there.
    The one thing I will give Blake credit for was knowing he didn't know it all, and that he needed help. Unfortunately, he wasn't very good at getting the right kind of help. Kingsbury is so far up his own *** that he thought he could do it all 'his way' (Air raid, undisciplined practices, etc).

Remember that email from some Tech alum (that owned a t-shirt shop or something), talking about how they were going to form the image of KK, and how great things were going to be? That makes me laugh even harder now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    Lets watch TT hang 40 on us in Lubbock. It's almost a lock.
    Doesn't matter. Even Heupel could put 50 on this Tech team with no playbook.

I knew Tech was in for a long season after they played UTEP earlier this year. They are horrible defensively in every respect. Even when they're in place to make a tackle, they just get run over.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

...and a new DC mid-season hasn't helped.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Well, they went the alum route and it's pretty hit or miss, but always makes fans happy initially. Mike Gundy's done well at OSU and Steve Spurrier did well at Florida... but the miss list is a mile long. The standards for head coaching get significantly lowered when you hire an alum. They usually have less (or no) head coaching experience and the argument is often along the lines of "just give them a chance" or "they understand the program culture."

After Tommy Tubby dumped them for freakin' Cincy, they probably felt they needed happy fans more than a proven guy... enter Kliff.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Hooray. One of our schools which should be in C-USA beating another of our schools which should be in C-USA.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Kliff was always high-risk/high-reward. I can't blame them for making the hire. If he has a level of success on par with Leach, he's likely to stay long term because he's an alumnus. If he doesn't, oh well. I do have a big issue with how the admin has tried to spruce him up like he's some kind of movie star. As if him looking like Ryan Gosling was going to put more butts in seats or attract an abundance of hipster Michael Sams to play football in Lubbock. It's no surprise, though, given that this is the same administration that fired Leach without cause and apparently alienated Tubberville enough for him to go to Cincinnati. I'm still LOLing over that one.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Their success under Leach clouded their minds. They didn't realize that it was a case of a mediocre program with an excellent coach and began to imagine that they were naturally on a par with TAMU or UT.
    Like LSD tripsters who imagine they can fly, this sort of delusion tends to end quickly and painfully.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    this is the same administration that fired Leach without cause and apparently alienated Tubberville enough for him to go to Cincinnati. I'm still LOLing over that one.
    Ever read Leach's "Swing your sword?" If you believe what you read (and I have no reason not to), Tech is led by a dude that for decades has harrumphed that he was the only one to beat a Bush in a Texas election and apparently was very put off by the fact that a 60 Minutes special on Tech football and specifically Leach's quirky offense didn't feature him more prominently... or at all

Kent Hance, btw. The election he trumpets was from... wait for it... 1978.

vCash