Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Watching the texsa offense against KSU leads me to one conclusion

Our defense is terrible.

The texsa offense is slow and inept yet DOMINATED our supposedly "vaunted" defense.

Each week there are dozens of posts about our offensive production or lack thereof but hardly a peep about a defense which once again is wholly inadequate.

It is simply unfathomable that it could be so bad.
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Watching the texsa offense against KSU leads me to one conclusion

I posted 2 or 3 weeks ago that it might be time to consider the current scheme a failure but was shot down immediately. No reasoning was given as to why it could be considered evenly moderately successful. It's easy to overlook a porous defense when the offense can keep pace but both O and D are much too inconsistent. I've been disappointed in the inconsistent pass rush and soft coverage in the d backfield.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I said after KSU the defense was the far greater disappointment. I received no agreement on that. I have no idea why. Our defense after the first 3 games has been downright dismal.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I stopped reading when you called Texas' offensive performance dominant.

vCash

OUr guys certainly need to improve in many areas, defense included. I wouldn't say the D is terrible, but the numbers don't lie after 7 games - the D is average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I stopped reading when you called Texas' offensive performance dominant.
    What would you call 38 minutes TOP, 84 plays, 24 first downs and 482 total yards?

Average?

They DOMINATED our defense and moved the ball at will all day long.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Might be neck & neck as to who has been the biggest letdown this year.. Thank goodness there is still time in the season for a bit of redemption...Might require a great deal of work, though...

Boomer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    I said after KSU the defense was the far greater disappointment. I received no agreement on that. I have no idea why. Our defense after the first 3 games has been downright dismal.
    Probably because the KSU game was a mirror image of the Texas game. Our D played well enough to win, and was hoodwinked for a good chunk of yards on those stupid option pass plays that were basically Tebow jumping at the goalline, only not at the goalline. There is no question that our D was terrible against Texas, however, and for the second consecutive year. The O playcalling was also awful for the second consecutive year. The O playcalling didn't have an excuse in the game, however, whereas the D was clearly gassed by an abundance of 3 and outs from the offense.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    What would you call 38 minutes TOP, 84 plays, 24 first downs and 482 total yards?

Average?

If that were true, we would have lost. They only had 13 points at half, and didn't move the ball at all in the 3rd quarter and first part of the 4th. They did not dominate our defense and move the ball at will all day long.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

vCash

Our defense does not to improve, but the exaggerations on this board are obnoxious.

Having said that, our defense has played well enough for us to be undefeated. Some of their overall performances have been poor, but they've made nearly every stop they've needed to late in games. Examples...

Tennessee: The offense pretty much fizzled out for the last 27 minutes of that game, but the defense only gave up 3 in the 2nd half, and sealed the game with a Pick-6.

WVU: Struggled in the first half, but registered one of the most impressive defensive performances in the Big XII this year in the second half. WVU averages 37.3 points per game, but only managed 3 in the second half before a garbage TD late in the game.

TCU: Plays were getting in late in the first half, and the #6 offense in the country took advantage in the first half. However, this is how the game ended...

*last possession of 3rd quarter: TCU 3 and out
    *OU offense throws pick-6, but defense returns PAT for 2 points
    *First possession of 4th quarter: TCU 3 and out
    *Second possession of 4th quarter: OU defense forces fumble and gives offense ball at TCU 21 (gift-wrapped 3 points at least?)
    *Third possession of 4th quarter: OU defense forces fumble and gives offense ball at TCU 46 (only need one first down to be in FG range?)
    *Fourth/Final possession of 4th quarter: TCU 3 and out

That was probably the best 20 minutes of defense from any team in the country. ALL WE NEEDED WAS 1 POINT FROM THE OFFENSE IN THE FINAL 35 MINUTES OF THE GAME. Not only did we not get it, but they gift-wrapped 6 points to the defense

K-State: The poorest performance of the year from our defense, but that was in large part due to illegal blocking on that pass/run option play. However, when the game was on the line, they came out and forced a 3 and out. The offense, on the other hand, couldn't produce 7 points in the 4th quarter. Couldn't even make an XP or convert on a 1st and goal from the 1.

So in the end, call the defense awful, inadequate, average, poorly coached, etc...but they've ALWAYS come through when they needed to. They've been NC-caliber in the 4th quarter, while the offense has been non-bowl-eligble-caliber in the 4th.

So yes. Our offense is our problem.

vCash

Average?

I'd call it below average, because it only produced 19 points (adjusting for the pick-6).

vCash
    Sure enough once again here come the Stoops apologists and sunshine pumpers step up to proclaim everything's okie dokie.

Never mind systemic flaws and players continually busting assignments or demonstrating inconsistent - at best - tackling technique.

Nope nothing to see here.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I don't think our D is terrible just confused, and the showboat pick 6 or the showboat fumble recovery for 6 is the goal instead of playing solid D.

Our schemes on offense and defense have pretty much been predictable chite the last 3 weeks though but the O got a little better against KSU.

BTW is C. Gastoleum (sp-?) still on the team?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Our defense is terrible.

The texsa offense is slow and inept yet DOMINATED our supposedly "vaunted" defense.

Each week there are dozens of posts about our offensive production or lack thereof but hardly a peep about a defense which once again is wholly inadequate.

Our defense is not bad. It has underachieved relative to our physical talent to my estimation but in terms of points allowed they have been pretty solid. You're trying to imbue transitive properties that simply don't exist from one football team to another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Our defense is terrible.

Our defense is not bad. It has underachieved relative to our physical talent to my estimation but in terms of points allowed they have been pretty solid. You're trying to imbue transitive properties that simply don't exist from one football team to another.
    Perhaps.

Perhaps the Iowa St. that took KSU to the wire and schooled texsa will be shut out by our impressive defense. Though I suspect we'll see Mangino school M Stoops and make us look confused and stupid.

But perhaps the transitive property doesn't apply.

We'll see.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Sure enough once again here come the Stoops apologists and sunshine pumpers step up to proclaim everything's okie dokie.

Never mind systemic flaws and players continually busting assignments or demonstrating inconsistent - at best - tackling technique.

Yeah...just ignore everything I said and go on with your pity party.

Honest question...Do you cry yourself to sleep at night? You seem to have such a rough life.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

I'm so disgusted w/ this team I cant even think about where the problems are. But I'd say all of the above. Our coaches due a **** poor job of getting this team ready to play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post

Yeah...just ignore everything I said and go on with your pity party.

Honest question...Do you cry yourself to sleep at night? You seem to have such a rough life.
    My life is great.

This football team is not.

But I'm not on the team and I sleep just fine. Thanks.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

For the most part, comparing how teams fare against common opponents provides limited data. The RRR is game unto itself and anything is possible regardless of each teams quaiity. This team lost 2 games by a combined 5 points. To teams ranked #10 & #11 and actually playing like top ten teams. And those 2 losses could easily been wins. While the D hasn't been as dominant as they projected they were early, they are still not too bad. Probably played well enough to win every game so far. Most decent teams nowadays are going to score points even on good defenses. And while there appears room for D improvement (and maybe that is scheme as much as coaching), the offense play and play calling seems to be the area that has cost us and has us with 2 losses. I'd love a few shutouts and less than 200 total ypg but those defenses don't come around often, especially in our conference and a lot of others. Even if they have just done enough, can't say that about the offense.

vCash
    Oklahoma is ranked 102nd in pass defense.

OU ranks 80th in 3rd down conversion defense.

Tell me again how this is supposedly ok.
    Posted from iOS app