Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Mack Brown to SMU?

I know this has been mentioned before on here, but I just read a piece in the Daily Oklahoman that mentioned a report (rumor) that SMU had offered Brown $4 million to coach the Mustangs...supposedly, it would be an 8 year deal.

The only reason I mention this is because it could affect OU. Mack has always been able to recruit, and if ends up at SMU, it's not crazy to think he could put SMU into the thick of Texas recruiting. I don't think it would really hurt OU, but it would make waves.

My hope is that Brown takes the job, gets SMU respectable again, and at the same time Strong struggles at Texas. I would take so much delight in watching that unfold.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Mack Brown to SMU?

Since they're both ex-Conference USA program and both current AAC programs, let's look at the Tulsa situation:

Lost a highly paid coach with a good record in Todd Graham and before him, Steve Kragthorpe... but replaced him with a local HS success on the cheap (by FBS college football standards)

While getting a C-USA title a few years ago, is now on the ESPN Bottom 10's list (with SMU, yes) with a 1-6 record, a six-game losing streak that started with hosting OU back in September, one rainy morning/afternoon.

So, SMU can go the Tulsa route: Go cheap and continue fielding a team and hope for the best... or they can try to recapture past glories and impersonate a big boy conference team with a big name coach and paycheck to match.

Quite frankly, they're going to get about the same record either way, except one involves spending $32 million in 8 years on Mack Brown, and the other involves spending $700K annually on a Bill Blankenship type.

BUT... if you are desperate to recapture the Pony Express, by all means give it your best shot if you have the means. But, be forewarned: Your storybook fairytale ends with the death penalty.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Now that schools are going to be allowed to do legally what they gave the Ponies the death penalty for all those years ago - paying players - then, why not hire Mack? We already know the SMU alumni are wealthy enough to pay the players.

SMU could get good really quickly. Mack already has an established relationship with Texas high school coaches. SMU has the alumni cash for the new era of giving cash to players.

It's a good fit.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Since they're both ex-Conference USA program and both current AAC programs, let's look at the Tulsa situation:

Lost a highly paid coach with a good record in Todd Graham and before him, Steve Kragthorpe... but replaced him with a local HS success on the cheap (by FBS college football standards)

While getting a C-USA title a few years ago, is now on the ESPN Bottom 10's list (with SMU, yes) with a 1-6 record, a six-game losing streak that started with hosting OU back in September, one rainy morning/afternoon.

So, SMU can go the Tulsa route: Go cheap and continue fielding a team and hope for the best... or they can try to recapture past glories and impersonate a big boy conference team with a big name coach and paycheck to match.

Quite frankly, they're going to get about the same record either way, except one involves spending $32 million in 8 years on Mack Brown, and the other involves spending $700K annually on a Bill Blankenship type.

BUT... if you are desperate to recapture the Pony Express, by all means give it your best shot if you have the means. But, be forewarned: Your storybook fairytale ends with the death penalty.
    I believe the only reason TU went that cheap is because Blankenship is TU alum and they wouldn't have to pay much for him to take the job and then secondly, ANYONE they hire (football OR basketball) and is successful, is leaving on the first train outta town, regardless of how much they pay.
    Last edited by tycat947; 10/24/2014 at 02:49 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I wonder if SMU is gearing up to make a run to get into the New SW Conference, er I mean the Big 12.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I wonder if SMU is gearing up to make a run to get into the New SW Conference, er I mean the Big 12.
    We have at least 2 too many teams from Texas already. We don't need ANYMORE at all!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

but SMU is from the state of Highland Park.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    If we really needed to get to 12, SMU and other Texas schools that aren't already in the power five are not going to be a good fit and have not done anything to warrant a bump up from where they are.

By comparison, TCU expanded their stadium to 45K (with record attendance over 50K) and won a Rose Bowl. When another mid-major does something comparable, give the Big 12 a call.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I've mentioned this before, I'd like to see Colorado State come to the
    conference. McElwain is doing a good job with the football team, they
    have a pretty good basketball team, a good volleyball team and Fort
    Collins is a top USA beer town! Beer aside, great college town and
    spectacular scenery out the back door...it'd be a great road trip, imo.
    Full disclosure, my wife is a CSU alum, I met and married here there
    and both my kids were born there.....don't know about a 2nd school,
    maybe AF Academy or Wyoming(?).

Gee, we haven't had an expansion thread in a long time.....

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

SMU AD says no talk with Mack
    Bazinga

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    *wink* *wink*

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    *wink* *wink*
    Heh...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    SMU AD Mack Brown checklist:

YES: Email
    YES: Twitter
    YES: Facebook
    YES: Rap music mix tape sent so he can relate to his players
    YES: Cancel all plans to ever play OU
    NO: Talk

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    I've mentioned this before, I'd like to see Colorado State come to the
    conference. McElwain is doing a good job with the football team, they
    have a pretty good basketball team, a good volleyball team and Fort
    Collins is a top USA beer town! Beer aside, great college town and
    spectacular scenery out the back door...it'd be a great road trip, imo.
    Full disclosure, my wife is a CSU alum, I met and married here there
    and both my kids were born there.....don't know about a 2nd school,
    maybe AF Academy or Wyoming(?).

Gee, we haven't had an expansion thread in a long time.....
    It would be a better option than another Texas team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    SMU AD Mack Brown checklist:

YES: Email
    YES: Twitter
    YES: Facebook
    YES: Rap music mix tape sent so he can relate to his players
    YES: Cancel all plans to ever play OU
    NO: Talk
    SMU's AD talked to his phone, and Mack Brown talked to his phone. Reports of them talking to each other are false. They were miles away.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
    I believe the only reason TU went that cheap is because Blankenship is TU alum and they wouldn't have to pay much for him to take the job and then secondly, ANYONE they hire (football OR basketball) and is successful, is leaving on the first train outta town, regardless of how much they pay.
    Didn't they have an AD change and the new AD got tired of hiring coaches? Just like when they hired Phillips as basketball coach?

There is no reason why SMU can't be competitive in their conference if they hire the right person. I don't expect them to challenge for the playoff but they can be a good enough program to win the AAC. Tulsa did when they had good staffs.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Didn't they have an AD change and the new AD got tired of hiring coaches? Just like when they hired Phillips as basketball coach?

There is no reason why SMU can't be competitive in their conference if they hire the right person. I don't expect them to challenge for the playoff but they can be a good enough program to win the AAC. Tulsa did when they had good staffs.
    You are probably correct but I don't know if the same AD hired Phillips and Blankenship, although both would pretty much stay forever if they were successful. Phillips wasn't and I'm afraid Blankenship won't be there too long.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    . Mack has always been able to recruit, .
    I use to say this too. "Great recruiter, bad coach." But I don't believe it anymore. Yes, he always wound up with a great recruiting class. But I think it was more of him picking and choosing, "yes, you can come to texass" as opposed to him convincing an on the fence guy to come. Like the door man behind the velvet rope at the popular club. Lots of people want to come in. It's just a matter of pointing and saying, "you."

And he had some notable mistakes in who he chose as well. RG3 for example.

So he would have a much tougher row to hoe at SMU. He would be like the doorman at the new but not popular club, with a velvet rope outside and everything, but no crowd milling about wanting to get in.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Yes, hiring the local high school coach is the easy choice for TU but the results appear to be the same. So they have to decide if they'd rather having a coaching carousel and potential success, or coaching stability and bad teams.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    Whatever,,,if ole affletoof goes to SMU, good for him. IMO he will get some Texas recruits, not many, just a some,,,,ya know, like all the ones Baylor and TCU get, the leftovers.
    Posted from iOS app