Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Mack Brown to SMU?

Quote Originally Posted by BigTip View Post
    I use to say this too. "Great recruiter, bad coach." But I don't believe it anymore. Yes, he always wound up with a great recruiting class. But I think it was more of him picking and choosing, "yes, you can come to texass" as opposed to him convincing an on the fence guy to come. Like the door man behind the velvet rope at the popular club. Lots of people want to come in. It's just a matter of pointing and saying, "you."

And he had some notable mistakes in who he chose as well. RG3 for example.

So he would have a much tougher row to hoe at SMU. He would be like the doorman at the new but not popular club, with a velvet rope outside and everything, but no crowd milling about wanting to get in.
    No doubt it would be a much tougher task to get kids to SMU (as opposed to Texas). I still think Brown was one heck of a recruiter, and with the exception of Briles, has the best connection to Texas High School football in the country. Texas is always going to get their pick, and A&M is inching closer to that too. After that, it's a free for all. SMU isn't going to steal recruits from Texas or A&M or OU, but they can greatly step up the quality of recruit because of Mack. SMU could, with the right changes, be just as successful as TCU someday. But it'll take getting a coach that knows Texas high school football, and AD willing to do what it takes and an alumni base willing to spend the money. It would have to be a perfect storm of sorts, but if it is to happen, getting the right guy in to coach is paramount to the rest.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    . . . it takes . . . an alumni base willing to spend the money.
    That has never been an issue for the Mustangs.

vCash

No! No! No! SMU needs to hire Josh Heupel!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

As noted by my name on here, I am an SMU grad, but an OU football season ticket holder. I see no way that SMU will ever hire Mack Brown. The profile they are targeting is young coordinator that has great experience recruiting in Texas. The last guy SMU hired came and retired, but forgot to tell anyone.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....solution, Mack Brown A.D., and Craig James Head Football Coach

....that is all

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    No! No! No! SMU needs to hire Josh Heupel!
    Chill bro. Kansas needs a new HC too. Smoo doesn't ride the heupel express Kooo can instead