Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

I knew Pokes were slow witted, but dang...

It took them 50 years to figure out that NMSU had the same mascot?

"Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: I knew Pokes were slow witted, but dang...

NMSU hasn't used that mascot since the 90s if memory serves correct, so it was a non-issue... but this might just be OSU covering bases, should NMSU decide to do throwbacks to go retro since that seems to be the trendy thing to do with uniforms, shirts, etc.

For those of you not in tune with your inner Poke, Frank Eaton aka "Pistol Pete" is from Oklahoma, but apparently had a legendary duel in Albequerque, hence both schools using the mascot. Now NMSU uses something a bit different looking, but still in tribute to Eaton.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

That derelict Pistol Pete is the butt-ugliest mascot in college FB, and that includes the butt ends of all the dogs and Bevo. If I was the AD at NM State, I would just let Stool State have that caricature of him at nc and forever. I crack up every time I see him representing OSU.

Seems like we had a real good fark thread on him about 10 years ago in the fark board heyday, and it was absolutely hilarious. But that may have been another board though.
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 10/24/2014 at 09:16 AM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

But why wait 50 yrs after the fact to file suit? They're not using it anymore.
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It's always made me feel warm to know that, in a mascot world filled with predatory animals and pugnacious alpha male thingies, I am affiliated with the idealization of someone who gets there long before the game starts, rigs the damn thing and sews up the outcome. And then leans up against the bar, sipping their martini and greeting the hopeless losers to whom the notion of cheating never occurred.
    Sooners, the James Bonds of the mascot world.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

As if anyone cares what the mascot is at OSU, or NM state, and if I remember correctly Wyoming's mascot looks very similar. Why not dress up in a horse suit to be Bullet and prance around. I think OSU has more problems than worrying about mascots. They could be tree like Stanford, or a sheep for the Ag department, there ar plenty of options. When they were OK A&M they were tigers, which is why their colors are orange and black, but then most of the OSU "fans" don't even know that!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    That derelict Pistol Pete is the butt-ugliest mascot in college FB, and that includes the butt ends of all the dogs and Bevo. If I was the AD at NM State, I would just let Stool State have that caricature of him at nc and forever. I crack up every time I see him representing OSU.

Seems like we had a real good fark thread on him about 10 years ago in the fark board heyday, and it was absolutely hilarious. But that may have been another board though.
    That sums it up. Those helmets they were wearing for the Tech game, with that stupid face and hat printed on it? Gah. I don't know how the players could stand pulling that thing on.

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    As if anyone cares what the mascot is at OSU, or NM state, and if I remember correctly Wyoming's mascot looks very similar. Why not dress up in a horse suit to be Bullet and prance around. I think OSU has more problems than worrying about mascots. They could be tree like Stanford, or a sheep for the Ag department, there ar plenty of options. When they were OK A&M they were tigers, which is why their colors are orange and black, but then most of the OSU "fans" don't even know that!
    Having a ewe for a mascot would be a disgrace to our women. They don't like to be mascots as they are real and have real feelings.

If you went to school at OSU then you know we were the Tigers way back in the day. It was taken from Princeton University.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

vCash

You stole from Princeton and we stole our song from Harvard.

Again, I am, this day, prouder and prouder to be an Okie!

Maybe Yale left something of worth lying around unattended.....

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Fun idea: After OU beats them they have to be crimson Pistol Pete out of shame of defeat

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post

I thought Boomer Sooner (the tune) came from Yale? Boolah, boolah....

vCash

Could be. If so, then reverse my use of Harvard and Yale!

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post

Well, SWOSU is the Bulldogs...maybe...

vCash

Yeah, Boomer Sooner is cribbed from Yale's fight song and North Carolina's too, no less. We got 'crimson' from Harvard, I guess. Guess we'll have to raid the rest of the Ivy League.