Thread: UNC Report

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

UNC Report

What do you all think of the UNC report that came out yesterday. It spanned 18 years and at least 3100 students.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unc-aca...979-ncaaf.html

I live in Chapel Hill and my wife has a grad degree from UNC. This is an embarrassment and if I had a degree from UNC I would be really ticked off. Rightly or wrongly this devalues a degree from UNC.

I sure hope we never find out OU was doing anything like this. I'd imagine there are professors sympathetic to the athletes at every university but this goes way beyond that.

I agree with Forde:

Now that UNC knows the independently reported facts, it can act. For years, its championship basketball teams were populated by players who benefitted from academic fraud – the 2005 national title team alone had 10 AFAM majors. If those titles were won with players who wouldn't have been eligible without sham grades, take down the banners yourself. Take the hardware out of the trophy cases. Wear your shame.
    To me this goes way beyond anything SMU did. It might not qualify as a repeat offender but it is very serious.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: UNC Report

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    What do you all think of the UNC report that came out yesterday. It spanned 18 years and at least 3100 students.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/unc-aca...979-ncaaf.html

I live in Chapel Hill and my wife has a grad degree from UNC. This is an embarrassment and if I had a degree from UNC I would be really ticked off. Rightly or wrongly this devalues a degree from UNC.

I sure hope we never find out OU was doing anything like this. I'd imagine there are professors sympathetic to the athletes at every university but this goes way beyond that.

I agree with Forde:

To me this goes way beyond anything SMU did. It might not qualify as a repeat offender but it is very serious.
    Sounds like they're going to dig deep into the records and a BUNCH of dirty
    laundry will come out of the "closet"....this could really damage UNC for
    a long time to come...

Administrator
    vCash

First, if my degree were from UNC, I'd be extremely angry. Very damaging, and insulting to the hundreds of thousands of people that worked hard to earn their degree from UNC.

As for the effect it will have on the program, it should be extreme. I know in this day and age, the NCAA won't issue the death penalty, but if ever there was a case that deserved it, it's this one. This is a slap in the face to all the programs that do it the right way. When former players are saying they never stepped foot in a classroom, that's pretty damning. UNC needs to be severely penalized...but, how do you do that without hurting current/former students that earned their degree?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

To me it shouldn't affect the perception of a non-athletes degree from UNC, I know that it wouldn't if I was hiring someone. For an athlete with a UNC degree I would probably rely more on the interview.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    To me it shouldn't affect the perception of a non-athletes degree from UNC, I know that it wouldn't if I was hiring someone. For an athlete with a UNC degree I would probably rely more on the interview.
    There were several thousand students who took the African American Studies courses and it went way beyond just athletes.

I don't think it should have a huge impact on someone who has a degree from UNC but it could have a small impact. UNC is known as one of the best public schools in the country. That reputation has been tarnished. So maybe a degree from UNC used to be considered great but is now considered good...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    There were several thousand students who took the African American Studies courses and it went way beyond just athletes.

I don't think it should have a huge impact on someone who has a degree from UNC but it could have a small impact. UNC is known as one of the best public schools in the country. That reputation has been tarnished. So maybe a degree from UNC used to be considered great but is now considered good...
    I don't put all that much stock into a degree any way, it isn't as big of a thing in my field where you went as it is in some others. Knowing how to do the job is priority No. 1 and you don't learn that in architecture schools, engineers are slightly better educated by their schools at what they might do in an office. I have known plenty of highly educated idiots with all sorts of papers on the wall that couldn't design their way out of a wet paper bag, almost more than those who had them and were very good architects/engineers.