Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Clarification: The pick 6 against KSU (Not on Heupel)

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I'm in total agreement with TDTW. TK didn't appear to read anything. The corner didn't appear to commit inside. It looks like he may have not thought Neal was going to curl out but he didn't have to recover much because the 70 yard lateral pass to the outside shoulder gave him plenty of time to make the easy pick on a difficult as well as poor pass. Either way you chop it, absolutely horrendous call from the 1 yard line. Maybe if we'd been on the left hash and maybe not a 2 yard out. That's why you see teams run from there. You may not get a first down but hopefully you get a little room to punt and live another day. Even a pump fake and throw it downfield. At least you're going vertical with less negatives. Catch for a first down. Overthrown or OB. Maybe even take it for 6. Even an INT downfield is better than what happened. And under those circumstances I'd say the probability of the same result is fairly high. And I place that entirely on whoever called that play. Any boob off the street can call wrong plays at the wrong time. These guys are well payed professional coaches and are supposed to and should know what they're doing. To me, it's inexcusable.
    With Knight, the overthrow out of bounds and throw behind the receiver are just as good odds, and probably better, than him actually completing it.

As it was, because he has no arm strength, he threw the ball behind the receiver, weakly, into a coverage with a safety over the top. The argument about the safety is moot because the corner knew the coverage called, so he knew he could jump the route and get away with it.

Although, the more you watch the clip, the more ridiculous it becomes to keep saying he "jumped" it. I mean, Neal had barely turned around. The corner, really, had very little work to do on that one.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee View Post
    I just can't understand why anyone would think that the out is a good idea in that situation. Sure, it was an option and should have been read, but the route is so dangerous given the hash, field position and so forth. I will need therapy before I say that the route should have been a part of this play.
    The problem is the coaching staff still not understanding the limitations of Knight. It's as though all they see of Knight is the Cotton Bowl practice where he played Johnny Manziel and the Sugar Bowl game.

Someone needs to alert them that those are, really, the exception to the rule with Knight.

Anyway, now that we'll be battling for a Holiday Bowl or Sun Bowl spot, spring and the eligibility of Baker Mayfield can't get here soon enough.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    The problem is the coaching staff still not understanding the limitations of Knight. It's as though all they see of Knight is the Cotton Bowl practice where he played Johnny Manziel and the Sugar Bowl game.

Someone needs to alert them that those are, really, the exception to the rule with Knight.

Anyway, now that we'll be battling for a Holiday Bowl or Sun Bowl spot, spring and the eligibility of Baker Mayfield can't get here soon enough.
    Mayfield?? LOL 5'11 Baker can't even see over our line!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

With Knight, the overthrow out of bounds and throw behind the receiver are just as good odds, and probably better, than him actually completing it.

As it was, because he has no arm strength, he threw the ball behind the receiver, weakly, into a coverage with a safety over the top.
    You've claimed this before, but I don't see it. Knight does not have a weak arm regardless of this one throw. All it takes is one example of a strong throw to show the arm is fine and that has happened plenty of times. I'm not saying he has a proverbial cannon, but his problem is accuracy or at least consistency with accuracy. We can speculate forever (or at least 2 weeks) on this one play, but I think he was nervous dropping into the endzone and just rushed everything. He rushed his decision, rushed his read (or didn't read at all) and rushed the throw which led to a breakdown of mechanics and a weak throw. Had he just been calm in the pocket, the worst that would have happened was an incomplete pass. Had he been heads-up, he could have ad-libbed a positive play. These things happen with young QBs. And yes, he's still "young" in terms of number of starts. He's getting close to that threshold of becoming "experienced" which hopefully will show in the remaining games this year. He'll definitely enter next season with expectations of being experienced.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I would like to know how "arm strength" is measured by the poster..
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I have seen Knight throw across his body without his feet set (because he was running) and connect across the field. No way is his arm strength wanting. Decision making (what he's allowed of it)? Questionable many times. Vision? Accuracy? Mechanics? Many issues with the guy's game. But I don't see arm strength being one of them.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    My definition is seeing a throw that covers a good distance without much arc in the trajectory.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

x2. If you want to talk OU QB's (or ex in this case) Kendal Thompson has a weak arm. Knight most certainly does not.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

vCash

Quarterbacks who can "fit the ball into a tight window" are the ones with quick, strong releases. There are very few of them on the planet.

So, there's no shame in not being one IF you and your coaches go ahead and admit it to themselves, then gameplan accordingly.

That play they had called - a quick out into that type of coverage...it's just not a play Knight can make. There's no shame in that. Just don't call it. That's not ever going to be his strength, so take it out of the playbook when Knight is in the game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    My definition is seeing a throw that covers a good distance without much arc in the trajectory.
    That's part of it. Think about the TD he threw to Shepherd against Texas. Although wide open, Shepherd had to wait for it, come back, and "cradle" catch it. With a quicker release, he's hit in stride. It makes no difference on that play because Texas' secondary had screwed up the coverage. But, it's just an example of what we're discussing.

vCash

That's part of it. Think about the TD he threw to Shepherd against Texas. Although wide open, Shepherd had to wait for it, come back, and "cradle" catch it. With a quicker release, he's hit in stride. It makes no difference on that play because Texas' secondary had screwed up the coverage. But, it's just an example of what we're discussing.
    That still looks like accuracy to me. He hasn't hit many receivers in stride on longer throws and Shep has had to wait for them. He has thrown a few lasers on seam routes and all it takes is one to prove he can.