Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Clarification: The pick 6 against KSU (Not on Heupel)

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    4 people !? During the actual game? That's crazy.
    No wonder we have a hard time getting the call out to the QB.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Where I differ after talking with some former players is putting the blame on JH when 4 people are involved in the play call process..Too many IMO.
    Okay, I think I over-reacted. If there are already 4 minds on the task, why not add a few more? Josh could set up a website that allows all of us qualified play callers to type in our play selection live during the game. Through the wisdom of the masses, all he would have to do it call the play with the most "likes" and be good to go. Easy peasy. Now if by chance someone dials up a dud that ends up in a turnover, that couch OC gets banned. Also, everyone who "liked" the play gets locked out for that quarter. What could possibly go wrong?

Administrator
    vCash

Where I differ after talking with some former players is putting the blame on JH when 4 people are involved in the play call process..Too many IMO.
    In general, I agree, we have too many cooks in the kitchen. I wonder how much involvement Norvell really has with the game calls (on game day). I'd like to see Heupel on the sideline and Norvell in the box (for many reasons, but I think a sideline coordinator, that is also the QB coach, should have direct access to the QB). I am convinced the reason we see TOs getting burned on offense is because the process is too long. I think that comes from too many people involved.

Administrator
    vCash

Okay, I think I over-reacted. If there are already 4 minds on the task, why not add a few more? Josh could set up a website that allows all of us qualified play callers to type in our play selection live during the game. Through the wisdom of the masses, all he would have to do it call the play with the most "likes" and be good to go. Easy peasy. Now if by chance someone dials up a dud that ends up in a turnover, that couch OC gets banned. Also, everyone who "liked" the play gets locked out for that quarter. What could possibly go wrong?
    Also, they tech people can do their thing and set up a mobile app...that way, you could pick the play 'on the go'. I can't see a down side...at all.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Option play with trev, Ross and Perine in the backfield would dominate the "likes".

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Option play with trev, Ross and Perine in the backfield would dominate the "likes".
    Until the caller gets banned and the "likes" get locked out for a while…

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    In general, I agree, we have too many cooks in the kitchen. I wonder how much involvement Norvell really has with the game calls (on game day). I'd like to see Heupel on the sideline and Norvell in the box (for many reasons, but I think a sideline coordinator, that is also the QB coach, should have direct access to the QB). I am convinced the reason we see TOs getting burned on offense is because the process is too long. I think that comes from too many people involved.
    Every pass play Norvell is involved..According to the former player.

And also, Bob is involved in offensive play calling a lot more than many would believe.
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Add Ford and go to wishbone.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

A wishboner!

vCash

From my understanding from the former players, and I am getting more info on it to be certain.

Bedenaugh sends up a run play, Norvell sends up a pass play, Heupel makes the checks, makes a choice with the audible being the play not chosen..Or the Run-Pass option with the blocking schemes used. All calls go through Bob. He is actively involved in the offense.

And 2 of the former players say Bob is a very good offensive mind. No longer just a defensive guy.
    Bazinga

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 msteudem's Avatar
    vCash

That's why the OC position at OU is almost a 'no-win' position. It's probably that way at every program.

When we used Neal to throw the TD against TCU (or WVU, can't remember), I thought "what a great call!". When we used him last week, I thought "what a terrible call!". The truth is, all calls that result in gains are "good", and the ones that don't work are "bad". That's just how we, as fans, view these things. 20/20 hindsight is great that way.
    The big difference in this play in the KSU game vs WV is the fact that Neal was throwing the ball to TK in the WV game. The receiver in the KSU game was Shep. That does not work out for trick plays seeing that all eyes are going to be glued to Shep. Not to mention they were farther away from the end zone as well. All and all Neal shouldn't have thrown the ball.
    Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

vCash

THIS, 1000 times.

I've been saying from day 1, putting Heup in the box was a big mistake. Look at the history of our QB play under Stoops, and compare the play between years where Heup was on the sideline, and he wasn't. It's striking how much vastly better QB play is when Heup is there, in person, in the QB's ear, vs. not. I don't give a crap if the QB can talk to him on the headset. It is NOT the same!

vCash

Every pass play Norvell is involved..According to the former player.

And also, Bob is involved in offensive play calling a lot more than many would believe.
    I certainly believe it. There has been a stubborn persistence to our offensive philosophy that spans very different OC's. Only one common thread I can think of.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    Add Ford and go to wishbone.
    Think about that. Perine FB, Ford/Ross HB in the 'bone? That's actually pretty awesome to consider.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    You, sir, are drunk.

I don't think that I am exaggerating when I say that it was the worst play call in the history of sports. A part of me died that day, for that was the day that I learned that there is no God.

An out route?! Out and up, fly pattern, curl, drag, slant... Anything but an out.

But that's just my opinion and nobody really gives a **** about that.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee View Post
    You, sir, are drunk.

I don't think that I am exaggerating when I say that it was the worst play call in the history of sports. A part of me died that day, for that was the day that I learned that there is no God.

An out route?! Out and up, fly pattern, curl, drag, slant... Anything but an out.

But that's just my opinion and nobody really gives a **** about that.
    I do..I care.
    Bazinga

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

From my understanding from the former players, and I am getting more info on it to be certain.

Bedenaugh sends up a run play, Norvell sends up a pass play, Heupel makes the checks, makes a choice with the audible being the play not chosen..Or the Run-Pass option with the blocking schemes used. All calls go through Bob. He is actively involved in the offense.

And 2 of the former players say Bob is a very good offensive mind. No longer just a defensive guy.
    In your observation of successful college and NFL programs, how does this compare in complexity with the norm. And I'll tell you where I'm coming from.

At an early stage in my career, I dealt raw material plastics. It was a hilarious job: we'd buy literally thousands of tons of material and then get on the phones calling customers around the world and selling off smaller lots. The guys I worked with were bright, motivated and very high energy. But you simply didn't have time to engage in 'philosophical' consideration on each deal. So, what we did was to construct, three or four times a day, a 'box' of volume vs price vs timeframe. Inside that box, the trader could make a deal. Outside, you couldn't. It simplified decision making and let you concentrate on closing the deal.

I'm wondering if successful teams don't employ similar strategies to tamp down the background noise.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by msteudem View Post
    The big difference in this play in the KSU game vs WV is the fact that Neal was throwing the ball to TK in the WV game. The receiver in the KSU game was Shep. That does not work out for trick plays seeing that all eyes are going to be glued to Shep. Not to mention they were farther away from the end zone as well. All and all Neal shouldn't have thrown the ball.
    Except they were fooled and Shep was open. The guy that picked it drifted back late and only recovered because the throw was very weak. I agree he should not have thrown it because the DE stayed home on the reverse and challenged Neal.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    In your observation of successful college and NFL programs, how does this compare in complexity with the norm. And I'll tell you where I'm coming from.

At an early stage in my career, I dealt raw material plastics. It was a hilarious job: we'd buy literally thousands of tons of material and then get on the phones calling customers around the world and selling off smaller lots. The guys I worked with were bright, motivated and very high energy. But you simply didn't have time to engage in 'philosophical' consideration on each deal. So, what we did was to construct, three or four times a day, a 'box' of volume vs price vs timeframe. Inside that box, the trader could make a deal. Outside, you couldn't. It simplified decision making and let you concentrate on closing the deal.

I'm wondering if successful teams don't employ similar strategies to tamp down the background noise.
    Others do it, I don't know that they do it like OU does.. I think you can tell a difference when a scripted drive is in place and you've got these guys trying to come up with the right call..
    Bazinga

vCash

Except they were fooled and Shep was open. The guy that picked it drifted back late and only recovered because the throw was very weak. I agree he should not have thrown it because the DE stayed home on the reverse and challenged Neal.
    There are five--yes, five--defenders around Shepard. It would have taken a Brady-esque throw to complete that pass. Neal would have been better off to eat the ball.