Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Re: One Play the Deciding Factor Fallacy

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Hard to know unless Hunnicutt tells us. But that kick was not just wide, it was super low too. It wasn't just ugly, it was Jimmy Stevens ugly. In fact, Jimmy would have kicked it low and it would have gone between the arms of a defender, hit the left goal post, fallen down to the cross bar, paused for a second balanced on the cross bar and then fallen down and been GOOD. And we would have had a whole thread about how we need to get rid of Stevens because all of you fat guys out there are afraid you'll have heart attacks if we don't.
    #1 I "resemble" that.... ;-)

#2 I wasn't bitc$ing, I was merely pointing out that I wonder if he "tried" to swing it....yes it was a horrible looking low knuckle ball...

#3 LOL on Jimmy....so true
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Stoops yanked Stevens after two games, though he was perfect 4 for 4 on the year.

vCash

When a team depends on a kicker to win their games, bad things can happen. Responsibility rests upon the entire team to not put Hunnicut in that position. The "cake" of the offense should be putting lots of points on the board by doing things well; the Kicker just supplies the "icing"...Please pardon the metaphors.
    Boomer

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Stoops yanked Stevens after two games, though he was perfect 4 for 4 on the year.
    Yep. That's the only time I've ever seen a kicker lose his job for a made FG. It happened in that FSU game in '11 when his short range FG sealed the contest. It was the ugliest made FG imaginable. I would have given anything for one of those beauties this past Saturday.

To be fair to Stevens, he was dealing with a pulled hammy in that game. That, and he just wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeachSooner View Post
    Saying one play was the deciding factor in the outcome of a game is bull schmidt.

If TK didn't throw that pick-6 we win.
    If Hunnycut doesn't miss the FG before half time we win.
    If Hunnycut doesn't miss the FG late in the 4th we win.
    If the XP isn't blocked we win.

That's over simplifying the situation. The outcome of a game is the culmination of every single play in the game. I hate the 'IF' game. It's what losers do. In the end they're just excuses. Nobody is taking responsibility and that sucks.

As Yogi Berra once said, "we made too many wrong mistakes today".
    Agreed.

Although some plays have huge ripple effects beyond the single play. i.e. Allen Patrick's fumble against Tech in 2007. Or deciding to put Demarco on kick return coverage to begin the 2008 Big XII Championship Game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee View Post
    I generally don't complain about play calling and so forth, but the pass to the out route was the single dumbest thing I saw that game. Throwing across your body 30 yards from the one while the corner is staring down the qb is just... eh... uh... an out route?!?!?!
    The only way I can see that pass being successful depends upon two factors: one, they're absolutely not expecting because it's a really dumb idea, or two, you pump fake to get the guy to bite and then the WR does a hitch and go and you throw it out there somewhere for him to catch it. Otherwise, it shouldn't even be an option on that play.
    Hitch and go would have been great! What the hell? See? I still don't get the called route. Yeesh.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

What kills me is we have a run-pass option play from OUR goal line and apparently we don't have one from THEIR goal line. Seriously? KSU has 8 to 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and we line up and try to push it in three straight times? With 5 O-linemen and a couple of TE/FB types. 8 to 10 is more bodies than 7, even if the ball carrier is Samaje Perrine. And with all of that, he still almost got in. Just dumb playcalling. Sometimes I really have to wonder if Heupel was really the commander on the field during 2000.

vCash

I never ever criticize the coaches, and haven't for fourteen years. But, to be backed up to our own goal line and throw a five yard out from the right hash to the left was the worst thing I have ever seen. Nobody does that and I mean nobody.

What kills me is we have a run-pass option play from OUR goal line and apparently we don't have one from THEIR goal line. Seriously? KSU has 8 to 10 guys on the line of scrimmage and we line up and try to push it in three straight times? With 5 O-linemen and a couple of TE/FB types. 8 to 10 is more bodies than 7, even if the ball carrier is Samaje Perrine. And with all of that, he still almost got in. Just dumb playcalling. Sometimes I really have to wonder if Heupel was really the commander on the field during 2000.

Amen. See Forest Valora in Jan 1, 1981 Orange Bowl.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    I never ever criticize the coaches, and haven't for fourteen years. But, to be backed up to our own goal line and throw a five yard out from the right hash to the left was the worst thing I have ever seen. Nobody does that and I mean nobody.
    Ah Ha! The element of surprise. I guess it would have worked better if they actually were surprised.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    When a team depends on a kicker to win their games, bad things can happen. Responsibility rests upon the entire team to not put Hunnicut in that position. The "cake" of the offense should be putting lots of points on the board by doing things well; the Kicker just supplies the "icing"...Please pardon the metaphors.
    Boomer
    "Icing?" When did this become a hockey board?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by mainline13 View Post
    "Icing?" When did this become a hockey board?
    The moment it popped into your mind, mainline13