Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PalmBeachSooner's Avatar
    vCash

One Play the Deciding Factor Fallacy

Saying one play was the deciding factor in the outcome of a game is bull schmidt.

If TK didn't throw that pick-6 we win.
    If Hunnycut doesn't miss the FG before half time we win.
    If Hunnycut doesn't miss the FG late in the 4th we win.
    If the XP isn't blocked we win.

That's over simplifying the situation. The outcome of a game is the culmination of every single play in the game. I hate the 'IF' game. It's what losers do. In the end they're just excuses. Nobody is taking responsibility and that sucks.

As Yogi Berra once said, "we made too many wrong mistakes today".

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: One Play the Deciding Factor Fallacy

No, if the XP isn't blocked it's tied and we go to overtime. The two FG misses were/are so uncharacteristic of Hunnicutt. If you had told me ahead of time that he would miss one, much less two, short field goals in that game I wouldn't have believed it.

Each play leads to the one after that until time runs out. So to some extent, yes, one play can decide the outcome. Ask Notre Dame and Florida State that question, why don't you?

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeachSooner View Post
    Saying one play was the deciding factor in the outcome of a game is bull schmidt.

That's over simplifying the situation. The outcome of a game is the culmination of every single play in the game. I hate the 'IF' game. It's what losers do. In the end they're just excuses. Nobody is taking responsibility and that sucks.

There is an exception that comes immediately to mind. If the cheatin' Pac-10 refs had been forced to notice that Allen Patrick had the ball, we could have taken a knee a few times and gone home a winner. Sure, guys have lost the ball in Victory formation, but it sure is rare.

vCash

If Hunnicut makes everything he should have, we still are only up by 6 and have to stop them.

I'm more angry about having Neal throw a ball in the RZ and having to settle for a 19 yard FG that we didn't get because our playcalling went limp (again) in the RZ.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeachSooner View Post

So, can we say that four plays changed the outcome of the game?

vCash

I'd say it's more like six plays, but yeah.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

We lost this game through a series of low probability events with any one of them not happening we either win or have a chance to win the game. Of course we beat Texas under the same premise the week before.

vCash

The missed XP, to me, is one of the coaches bigger mistakes in the game, that and the decision to have Neal pass there ...but that's mainly on Neal.
    That dude has blocked XPs before after an amazing drive like that and everyone celebrating, it's the coaches responsibility to remind them about that threat and make sure that doesn't happen.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

So you hate the one-play decided the game mentality? I'm cool with that. But we really were one play away from winning this game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    No, if the XP isn't blocked it's tied and we go to overtime. The two FG misses were/are so uncharacteristic of Hunnicutt. If you had told me ahead of time that he would miss one, much less two, short field goals in that game I wouldn't have believed it.

Each play leads to the one after that until time runs out. So to some extent, yes, one play can decide the outcome. Ask Notre Dame and Florida State that question, why don't you?
    I'm pretty sure that's why he missed the XP/FG at the end...trying to swing it away from the middle so it wouldn't get blocked. Wonder if the line coach went and told him "hey that block was on us, you do your job...straight up the middle, we'll get that guy blocked".
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

The horns were one play from beating us.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Score a touchdown after having 1st and goal from the 4 the kicker isn't kicking the game winner..so add those 3 plays to it..
    Bazinga

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's why he missed the XP/FG at the end...trying to swing it away from the middle so it wouldn't get blocked. Wonder if the line coach went and told him "hey that block was on us, you do your job...straight up the middle, we'll get that guy blocked".
    Hard to know unless Hunnicutt tells us. But that kick was not just wide, it was super low too. It wasn't just ugly, it was Jimmy Stevens ugly. In fact, Jimmy would have kicked it low and it would have gone between the arms of a defender, hit the left goal post, fallen down to the cross bar, paused for a second balanced on the cross bar and then fallen down and been GOOD. And we would have had a whole thread about how we need to get rid of Stevens because all of you fat guys out there are afraid you'll have heart attacks if we don't.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Score a touchdown after having 1st and goal from the 4 the kicker isn't kicking the game winner..so add those 3 plays to it..
    Ding ding ding! Winnah! Now I certainly didn't expect to miss the FG, but I figured there was a very good chance with 4 minutes remaining that KSU would drive back down and beat us with a FG as time expired. I would have loved for the defense to have a chance to prove me wrong, but that is the sort of medicine the football gods dole out when you phail from 1st and goal at the 4. Had we punched it in, I would have felt pretty good our guys could have stopped KSU from driving all the way for a TD (but only after getting scarily close).

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The horns were one play from beating us.
    True. Funny how a pick six in all three games wound up being really such a key factor; guess the bigger lesson there is turnovers for points.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Hard to know unless Hunnicutt tells us. But that kick was not just wide, it was super low too. It wasn't just ugly, it was Jimmy Stevens ugly. In fact, Jimmy would have kicked it low and it would have gone between the arms of a defender, hit the left goal post, fallen down to the cross bar, paused for a second balanced on the cross bar and then fallen down and been GOOD. And we would have had a whole thread about how we need to get rid of Stevens because all of you fat guys out there are afraid you'll have heart attacks if we don't.
    Ha! True! You looked at Stevens' stats and he was a pretty successful field goal kicker via attempts/made percentage, but he kicked an ugly ball.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Ha! True! You looked at Stevens' stats and he was a pretty successful field goal kicker via attempts/made percentage, but he kicked an ugly ball.
    And the heart exercise was good for us, even though we're all wimps.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

I generally don't complain about play calling and so forth, but the pass to the out route was the single dumbest thing I saw that game. Throwing across your body 30 yards from the one while the corner is staring down the qb is just... eh... uh... an out route?!?!?!!

I can forgive the razzle dazzle (hey, it has worked even though I don't like that we resort to it). Hunnicutt gets a pass.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

vCash

Hartley has the single best year percentage, but career, Hunnicutt is still tops. Hartley's only miss was the (most likely illegally) blocked FG at Oregon (grrrrrrr....). Jimmy Stevens is third career wise!

Tony DiRienzo isn't on the list because back in those heady days of the wishbone we didn't kick many field goals.

FG PERCENTAGE • CAREER
    Minimum 20 attempts
    Pct. Player Years Made Att.
    1. .845 Michael Hunnicutt 2011-Pres. 71 84
    2. .810 Garrett Hartley 2004-07 47 58
    3. .808 Jimmy Stevens 2008-11 42 52
    4. .717 Trey DiCarlo 2002-04 43 60
    5. .698 R.D. Lashar 1987-90 44 63
    6. .686 Tim Lashar 1983-86 48 70
    7. .667 Tim Duncan 1999-01 48 72
    8. .651 Scott Blanton 1991-94 41 63
    9. .647 Uwe von Schamann 1976-78 33 51
    10. .646 Jeremy Alexander 1994-97 31 48

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee View Post
    I generally don't complain about play calling and so forth, but the pass to the out route was the single dumbest thing I saw that game. Throwing across your body 30 yards from the one while the corner is staring down the qb is just... eh... uh... an out route?!?!?!
    The only way I can see that pass being successful depends upon two factors: one, they're absolutely not expecting because it's a really dumb idea, or two, you pump fake to get the guy to bite and then the WR does a hitch and go and you throw it out there somewhere for him to catch it. Otherwise, it shouldn't even be an option on that play.