Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Targeting

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Targeting

This rule is getting more and more ridiculous. I understand the reason for the rule--good intentions there. But too many times kids are being kicked out of games where it was clear there was no intent to harm. In Rip's case, the defender lowered his head--actually, if Rip had been the one to go down, the call could have gone the other way.

Meanwhile, we've got Texas players taking cheap shots on Shepard on a punt return, and on the very play where Rip gets kicked out, TK goes to the ground and then has a late hit forearm shiver delivered to his back to put him out of the game. On replay, two of those certainly looked like intent to harm, and it wasn't the one where the player was kicked out.

I understand the need to protect players, but a rule that if helmet hits helmet isn't necessarily it. If that were the case, why isn't the whole offensive and defensive line kicked out after every play?
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

vCash

Re: Targeting

i don't think i've ever seen targeting called on a block before

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Keep your head up. But either way, both players lowered their heads.

The bigger crime was, as you pointed out, Knight getting slammed after intentionally going down and no call. To have happened on the same play only made the disparity more absurd.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post

The bigger crime was, as you pointed out, Knight getting slammed after intentionally going down and no call. To have happened on the same play only made the disparity more absurd.
    If Rip keeps his head up there, he's probably plowed with a helmet to his chin. It was a pretty awesome block--leveled the guy. Too bad it cost him the rest of the game.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

probably next year it'll be a replay to see WHO lowered first...if the player (thinking RB's) lowered their head first it'll be "offensive targeting" or some dumba$$ name...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

It really hurt OU because Ripkowski is part of the jumbo package at the goal line, along with Blake Bell. Bell was out at the end of game because they thought maybe he had a concusion, so when Perine was trying to score, OU did not have the best players for the plays being called. Should have faked to Perine and kept the ball for an option play. Then a missed field goal would not have happened. Fun game, the day was beautiful, the crowd was great, and if OU had scored the times they were in the red zone it would have been a blow-out. But....that is football. Now you know why no matter what the stats are, the only one that counts is the score.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom View Post
    It really hurt OU because Ripkowski is part of the jumbo package at the goal line, along with Blake Bell. Bell was out at the end of game because they thought maybe he had a concusion, so when Perine was trying to score, OU did not have the best players for the plays being called. Should have faked to Perine and kept the ball for an option play. Then a missed field goal would not have happened. Fun game, the day was beautiful, the crowd was great, and if OU had scored the times they were in the red zone it would have been a blow-out. But....that is football. Now you know why no matter what the stats are, the only one that counts is the score.
    On the contrary, I thought Rip going out was a net positive because he is not a receiving threat while in the game. Opposing defenses don't even bother guarding him. At least with Bell, they have to account for him catching the ball. Rip being out of the game made our offense less predictable...and Blake did a good job blocking for the most part.

As for the penalty, it was pretty cut and dry targeting. I'm frustrated with the rule as well because it doesn't bother to take into account any sort of context. In fairness to the KSU guy, he was stumbling with his head ducked for a while. Rip had plenty of time to adjust and really only needed to give him a push to knock him on his ***.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Yep, textbook targeting. Even if the KSU guys doesn't duck his head, it may have been targeting anyway depending on where Rip's helmet catches him.

As for the non-penalty on TK, that was old fashion spearing and I don't understand how multiple refs missed that. Eyes are on the ball carrier and there is no one else around to distract attention. Terrible non-call. Fortunately, OUr guys rallied and scored on that drive anyway.

Agree with last two posts, you can hate the rule but if it's every going to be called, that was the time. But can't explain why no penalty on the Knight hit, it was close but definitely could (and probably should) have been called.
    Aries

Administrator
    vCash

Here's my issue with the Rip call; that kind of stuff happens all the time in that area. It may be between an offensive and defensive lineman, or it may be between a running-back picking up a blitz from a linebacker, but it happens...yet it's never called in those situations.

So, my issue is how inconsistent the rule is applied. If it's as cut and dry as we have been told, then why isn't it called every time? If there is some built in wiggle room for the officials to make a judgement call, then why didn't they take into account the player on the receiving end lowering his head at the last second (same thing on the Jordan Evans targeting call)?

I'm afraid different officials have their own guidelines for when to call it, and that's a recipe for disaster.

vCash

So how will this work? Rip was booted in the early part of the 1st 1/4 right? Will he have to sit out the 1st 1/2 of ISU game? or missin almost all the KSU game enough of a penalty?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    So how will this work? Rip was booted in the early part of the 1st 1/4 right? Will he have to sit out the 1st 1/2 of ISU game? or missin almost all the KSU game enough of a penalty?
    He'll be good to go from the start of the Iowa State game.

vCash

Hated to see the targeting call and I realize it is the safety issue behind the call,
    BUT, if I'm the KSU guy staring at Rip coming at me with hostile intent, I'm ducking
    my head BIG TIME! Jus sayin.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Hated to see the targeting call and I realize it is the safety issue behind the call,
    BUT, if I'm the KSU guy staring at Rip coming at me with hostile intent, I'm ducking
    my head BIG TIME! Jus sayin.....
    dude, I'd be on the ground in the fetal position if Rip was coming at me with hostile intent.

vCash

The way Perine destroys some of those safeties, probably just a matter of time before a ref wants to kick him out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    dude, I'd be on the ground in the fetal position if Rip was coming at me with hostile intent.
    Heh, I'm thinkin the KSU guy was tryin to do just that!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    A violation results in a 15-yard penalty and ejection from the game. If the ejection occurs in the second half, the player must also sit out the first half of the following game. The ejection is subject to review and can be overturned if there's indisputable video evidence. The penalty cannot be overturned.
    on Big Tex burning....They mentioned this on College Football Live. Pollack asked if it represented the Texas defense. Herbie told him it represented the Texas bandwagon.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
    He'll be good to go from the start of the Iowa State game.
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sooner View Post
    A violation results in a 15-yard penalty and ejection from the game. If the ejection occurs in the second half, the player must also sit out the first half of the following game. The ejection is subject to review and can be overturned if there's indisputable video evidence. The penalty cannot be overturned.
    Thanks, wasnt sure if they were gonna count the 1st 1/2 since he played in it a bit
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post

He probably tried to call it right, and just got all verbally dyslexic and said "offense" when he meant to say "defense."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'm ok with the Rip call, I don't particularly like it, but still ok with it.

The non-call on the TK spear in his back though was ridiculous, and probably more dangerous as a helmet to helmet head shot since it was to the unprotected spine or the spinal area.
    I honestly don't know how any competent official wouldn't throw a flag for 15 yards on that, and imo the KSU player should have been tossed for unnecessary roughness.

btw, if Al Davis was still alive, he would draft RIP in the 1st round just on his "Raider Look". That was some huge eye-black job he had.
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 10/20/2014 at 07:02 PM.