Thread: Man I'm sorry!!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Man I'm sorry!!

I sure hate the Sooner's loss. I really hate that Hunnicut had problems as I still think he is one of the best kickers in college football. The season is not over. Support your team as you always have and it will be good.

Sooner Rookie
    vCash

Re: Man I'm sorry!!

I feel bad for him. Just think about what is going on in his head this weekend.
    Speck

Administrator
    vCash

papa, Good to see a post from you.

It was a rough day for Hunnicutt, but how about that Grandson of yours? The kid is lighting the world on fire in Morgantown! He sure is one heck of a kicker...you gotta be proud!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Speck View Post
    I feel bad for him. Just think about what is going on in his head this weekend.
    There's NO WAY to put the blame on Hunneycut. So he missed kicks; he's also made many others. Those who place the blame on a kicker are those who dismiss the futility of an offense that has to rely on the kicker. If a team depends on the kicker to win games.....Shame on you.

Boomer

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Oh, Honeycutt had a bad day, a really bad day, at the office. It happens. And, thus, he shares in the responsibility for the loss. But it sure wasn't him alone. Either one of the interceptions, had they gone the other way, we likely win. Crap play calling, bad execution. How about why we were stalled out and had to try for the field goals? Why didn't we just punch it in and score a TD? We've got the second largest line in the NFL....and we don't seem to get much push when we need it.
    I've seen posts where people attempted to note the 'key' plays that cost us the game...and they couldn't whittle the list below six or so. So much went wrong.
    On the other hand, a hell of a lot went right. Our offense actually ground out pretty impressive yardage and Knight had an excellent day passing the football. (2 int, yes, but over 80%. You buy the beer, we can argue). We got more than Shep involved in catching passes...and Shep had an awesome day. Alex Ross showed that he can actually cut and change direction! HOSSANAH! Sanchez held Lockett to 16 yards in the second half. 16 yards. Last year we'd have been happy to hold Lockett to 16 yards per possession.
    So, it's time to square the shoulders, rally 'round the lads and carry on. If I need a field goal made, I'm still picking Honeycutt to kick the damn thing.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Honeycutt, or that kid from Morgantown
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

TK only had 1 pick. I can't get too upset about the Neal pick. I wasn't thrilled about the call only because of the field position. I think you call that play when you are farther out, not when you have made the redzone (or close). But it was inline with an aggressive game plan and you have to look at the big picture - the plan allowed us to gain 500+ yards.

Also, I'm not sure that Neal messed up with his decision. Looking at the play again, it appeared he may have been trying to throw the ball away, but with the defender getting too close, his feet were in a bad position and he got nothing on the ball. You would have to ask Neal for sure, but that may be credit to KSU's defense for the pressure. Regardless, that is the inherent risk in the play of trusting a non-QB to make a throw - it has to be wide open to work.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Oh, Honeycutt had a bad day, a really bad day, at the office. It happens. And, thus, he shares in the responsibility for the loss. But it sure wasn't him alone. Either one of the interceptions, had they gone the other way, we likely win. Crap play calling, bad execution. How about why we were stalled out and had to try for the field goals? Why didn't we just punch it in and score a TD? We've got the second largest line in the NFL....and we don't seem to get much push when we need it.
    I've seen posts where people attempted to note the 'key' plays that cost us the game...and they couldn't whittle the list below six or so. So much went wrong.
    On the other hand, a hell of a lot went right. Our offense actually ground out pretty impressive yardage and Knight had an excellent day passing the football. (2 int, yes, but over 80%. You buy the beer, we can argue). We got more than Shep involved in catching passes...and Shep had an awesome day. Alex Ross showed that he can actually cut and change direction! HOSSANAH! Sanchez held Lockett to 16 yards in the second half. 16 yards. Last year we'd have been happy to hold Lockett to 16 yards per possession.
    So, it's time to square the shoulders, rally 'round the lads and carry on. If I need a field goal made, I'm still picking Honeycutt to kick the damn thing.
    Well said! Someone else had a plea before the game...something about Mama Lockett
    not having any more boy babies...I agree! That young man is nearly as good as Shep!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PalmBeachSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vtsooner21 View Post
    There's NO WAY to put the blame on Hunneycut. So he missed kicks; he's also made many others. Those who place the blame on a kicker are those who dismiss the futility of an offense that has to rely on the kicker. If a team depends on the kicker to win games.....Shame on you.

Boomer
    I totally agree. There are just too many variables when it comes to place-kicking to ever consider it money. I was really disappointed in the play calling at the goal line. Why not keep the spread in place and make the defense cover the field? Why bunch everyone up and allow the defense to put everyone up at the line?

The middle of our line is a weak link. I remember our first offensive play against TCU and the nose-tackle knocked Darlington 6-7 yards into the backfield. Geary from KSU ate his lunch on Saturday.

So yeah, didn't like the play-calling at all.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    TK only had 1 pick. I can't get too upset about the Neal pick. I wasn't thrilled about the call only because of the field position. I think you call that play when you are farther out, not when you have made the redzone (or close). But it was inline with an aggressive game plan and you have to look at the big picture - the plan allowed us to gain 500+ yards.

Also, I'm not sure that Neal messed up with his decision. Looking at the play again, it appeared he may have been trying to throw the ball away, but with the defender getting too close, his feet were in a bad position and he got nothing on the ball. You would have to ask Neal for sure, but that may be credit to KSU's defense for the pressure. Regardless, that is the inherent risk in the play of trusting a non-QB to make a throw - it has to be wide open to work.
    You're correct on the int count. Mea Culpa, I was writing while I was supposedly on a con call.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown