Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

is OU's "natural talent" above, the same or below, the other teams?

Okay,
    Just a discussion thread.

I keep reading how OU's talent is young, better, etc. I'll leave the stats up to someone else...I'm not so sure OU's talent is that much above all the other schools.

Not flaming, just throwing it out there.

I'd say equal, not below nor above.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: is OU's "natural talent" above, the same or below, the other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    Okay,
    Just a discussion thread.

I keep reading how OU's talent is young, better, etc. I'll leave the stats up to someone else...I'm not so sure OU's talent is that much above all the other schools.

Not flaming, just throwing it out there.

I'd say equal, not below nor above.
    We have plenty of talent, it is the use of the talent that is the problem, striker not rushing the passer and being made to drop into coverage while we rush three guys letting the qb have all day is an example. Before ksu we were 107th in the country in pass defense, what we are doing is not working.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I think our talent is a little better than other big12 teams, but not enough to dominate other contenders. And all it takes very good players at the skill positions to equal out a lot of other talent lapses. Trickett and White at WVU is a good example. They would be a very mediocre team if they were average at those positions. The reverse is true as well - look how badly we struggle if TK and our receivers are not producing even if we win in the trenches.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    We have plenty of talent, it is the use of the talent that is the problem, striker not rushing the passer and being made to drop into coverage while we rush three guys letting the qb have all day is an example. Before ksu we were 107th in the country in pass defense, what we are doing is not working.
    Heh, if it was 1998, I would have thought you were referring to the Boo Blake staff. That's bad, wow.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I agree, I think it is hard to know. The best indicator is head to head competition and in that department it seems we are not better. I am wondering about Perrine, at this point? He looked like the next AD (against WV) but what about now? Is he really that good and our line is the problem? Personally I think most of our players have been over-hyped, including Perrine. We all need to forget the preseason hype, quit drinking the Kool-Aid and make them earn the praise....
    "If you don't agree with gay marriage, blame the straight people. They are the ones that keep having gay babies."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I think we are the most talented team in the Big 12 and most likely a top 5 type team nationally. Top 10 for certain. Unfortunately we seem to be sort of a hodge podge of working parts. If NCAA football worked like the NFL where you could trade players we would have excellent trade bait and be able to cut deals. As it is when we play to some players strengths we go away from other players. Our backs are ideally suited down hill running and a play action offense. Our QB is a prototype read option QB (Switzer would have loved TK for his 1980's teams). Our O line is sort of neither here nor there and has one foot in the road grader type player and another as pass blockers. Fairly good at both but not great at either.

We have an impact player like Eric Striker on defense but he becomes largely wasted when we go to a three man rush. He just isn't a difference maker in pass coverage. There is a lot of bagging on the safeties and rightfully so but they have the physical talent and I am confident they can be coached up. LB's, not so sure. I don't like it when I see the LB's holding on for dear life being dragged down the field. Frank Shannon is missed. Our D line has enough talent that if we are just going to waste Striker then we might as well go to a four man front. Again talent is there but just doesn't mesh together. The fact that we have no LBs on the recruiting horizon isn't very comforting.

vCash

Perine is a very good back and mature beyond his years. But he is not the next coming of AD as he doesn't have the speed or cutting ability. He's also 30lbs heavier than AD, so there is no way he could have those attributes. And just because he is strong, does not mean he can move 280lb D-lineman or especially more than one 280lb D-lineman. There has to be a gap created or he can be stuffed like any other human being.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Perine is a very good back and mature beyond his years. But he is not the next coming of AD as he doesn't have the speed or cutting ability. He's also 30lbs heavier than AD, so there is no way he could have those attributes. And just because he is strong, does not mean he can move 280lb D-lineman or especially more than one 280lb D-lineman. There has to be a gap created or he can be stuffed like any other human being.
    I agree. It brings up the old argument, does the line make the back great or vice versa? Do great receivers make the QB? I remember how great Landry looked at times , then Broyles went down and he looked pretty pedestrrian. I think Perrine would look a whole lot better with some better blocks or better schemes...
    "If you don't agree with gay marriage, blame the straight people. They are the ones that keep having gay babies."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Perine is a true frosh that has filled in for Ford and mixon, assuming he is the real deal. Perine has 0 fumbles while averaging 25+ carries a game. I Love the kid. If Ford were healthy we'd be a lil more diverse in the run-pass game but you can't deny that perine is a td scoring machine when you look at his inexperience. We have some good young talent including kj young, miciah quick, perine, Stevie Parker, Ford, Ross, Jordan evans, etc. I think the talent is there and getting all this playing time now will help alot going into next season. We are weak and young at lb with no big play guys right now. I think the future looks great from a talent perspective, you just never know if they can put it all together

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Bias View Post
    I think Perrine would look a whole lot better with some better blocks or better schemes...
    I'd like to see what he could do running downhill from the I formation. Making him start from the play from a dead stop, 5-7 yards in the backfield , waiting to see where a gap opens seems more suited to a back like Quentin Griffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    Who knows,,,none of us are talent scouts. If there is one on the board, maybe he/ she could shed some light.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

All I know is that we have a 221lb. RB with home run speed, and we need to figure out how to get him more touches

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

More population means more talent available, scholarship limits means more talent available to be spread around to other teams. The fact that almost everyone is on TV every week means more exposure to those teams that never had exposure in the past. Even the acknowledge top program that gets the best talent every year in Bama loses games and games they aren't expected to lose. The days of having so much more talent than the other top half of teams is over.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by okiewaker View Post
    Who knows,,,none of us are talent scouts. If there is one on the board, maybe he/ she could shed some light.
    That would be STEP.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    More population means more talent available, scholarship limits means more talent available to be spread around to other teams. The fact that almost everyone is on TV every week means more exposure to those teams that never had exposure in the past. Even the acknowledge top program that gets the best talent every year in Bama loses games and games they aren't expected to lose. The days of having so much more talent than the other top half of teams is over.
    Parity is ruining college football I think all those points are true, but I also think the skill factor has changed things. You just didn't see QBs that could put up these kinds of numbers even 15-20 years ago. An elite team could just load up recruits in the trenches and just run the ball and play defense and beat almost anyone. Now days, a fairly average team with a great QB and a couple of stud WRs can beat those blue bloods if they get clicking. I suspect it is from the huge spike in NFL salaries at the skill positions drawing the best athletes combined with HS teams passing more and all those 7 on 7 drills.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    Heh, if it was 1998, I would have thought you were referring to the Boo Blake staff. That's bad, wow.
    That is my primary concern, numbers don't lie. What bothers me the most the is arrogance of big game to not admit when something is not working and then do what he has to do to fix it. That includes firing his brother.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    That is my primary concern, numbers don't lie. What bothers me the most the is arrogance of big game to not admit when something is not working and then do what he has to do to fix it. That includes firing his brother.
    How many points per game should the defense be allowed before the coach is fired?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post

That would be STEP.
    Well......
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    How many points per game should the defense be allowed before the coach is fired?
    One less than our team scores.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I didn't say anything about points per game. I was talking about being 107th in the country in pass defense and i was talking about firing mike.

How many games do we have to lose before you think the coach is fired? How many loses to K-STATE do we have to endure before the coach is fired?