Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: I can't believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Below are the 5 year records of three coaches on major college programs. In your opinion are these coaches that have their teams going in the right direction? If you were the AD would you retain these coaches or look to hire a new coach?

Coach #1
    -----
    Season 1 11-2
    Season 2 10-2
    Season 3 9-3
    Season 4 9-2
    Season 5 9-3

Coach #2
    ----
    Season 1 11-0
    Season 2 8-2-1
    Season 3 8-3
    Season 4 6-5
    Season 5 6-5

Coach #3
    ------
    Season 1 11-1
    Season 2 10-2
    Season 3 7-4
    Season 4 8-4
    Season 5 8-4
    Season 5 is the most recent season or the season 5 years ago?

Also, are these the only 5 years that the coaches have been at these respective schools?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Ok. That clarifies the point on which we disagree. I don't think Stoops will get the team to the playoff in the next 5 years. You do. I hope you prove me wrong.
    I don't think he will either unless perhaps TK goes down with something like a David Ash type injury and Mayfield or perhaps C. Thomas steps up with some miraculous talent similar to a Sammy 1st pick in the draft, putting up 50 or 60 consistently on the offensive side, which will mask our OC's obvious brain spasms and our our continuous defensive breakdowns.

We might next year if we hit gold with that happening along with DGB staying and Mixon not bolting back to Cali and perhaps moving into the slot or motioned out of the backfield into the slot. Along with SS staying would pretty much be unstoppable. But that only happens if we get in with one loss, because it seems to be this staff's destiny to cough up at least one we should win.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Season 5 the most recent. No each coach at their school for substantially more than 5 years.

Season 5 the most recent. No each coach at their school for substantially more than 5 years.
    If I were the AD of Texas, Bama, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, OU, and any other traditional power school, I'd fire coaches 2 and 3. Prolly keep coach 1 for another year or two depending on BCS bowl wins.

If I were the AD of Texas, Bama, USC, Ohio State, Michigan, OU, and any other traditional power school, I'd fire coaches 2 and 3. Prolly keep coach 1 for another year or two depending on BCS bowl wins.
    Sorry, misread that....thought it said No coach at school for substantially more than 5 years...you meant, that Yes, each coach has been there much longer than 5 years...

...In that case...not enough information to decide.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

You're one tough AD. You just fired Barry Switzer and Bear Bryant. But since you decided to let Tom Osborne keep his job for a year or two more you would have been rewarded with two national championships. I chose these guys (a) because they were all coaches from national power schools (b) They are among the relatively few such coaches with a lifetime winning percentage like Stoops (c) they had been tenured at their schools for a good deal of time when they had these five year streaks (d) they were similar age wise and not just old timers hanging on because they couldn't let go (think Bowden and Paterno)

In each case these coaches won national championships after these stretches. Bryant and Osborne won multiple championships. I think in coaching past performance is a good indicator of future results. Not perfect but good.

You're one tough AD. You just fired Barry Switzer and Bear Bryant. But since you decided to let Tom Osborne keep his job for a year or two more you would have been rewarded with two national championships. I chose these guys (a) because they were all coaches from national power schools (b) They are among the relatively few such coaches with a lifetime winning percentage like Stoops (c) they had been tenured at their schools for a good deal of time when they had these five year streaks (d) they were similar age wise and not just old timers hanging on because they couldn't let go (think Bowden and Paterno)

In each case these coaches won national championships after these stretches. Bryant and Osborne won multiple championships. I think in coaching past performance is a good indicator of future results. Not perfect but good.
    No . I didn't fire any of the coaches. Once I correctly read your post, I determined that I needed more info. Without even looking it up, you were referring to Switzer between 79-83. He had the two previous national championships and a string of Orange Bowl wins to buffet him during the leaner 81-83 years. This is the type of additional info that I clearly stated would be needed. Even still, remember that Switzer knew that 84 best be remarkably better or he'd be fired. After the KU loss, he implored his team that it needed a win the next week at Columbia for him to keep his job.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Bob's salary is 2nd highest. Only behind Saban's. I would have very mixed feelings about Saban being OUs coach. Can't stand him. Can't argue with his success. I'm just pointing out that Saban's results over the past five years have truly been premiere. Bob's results by comparison cannot be called premiere. Again, the results have been pretty good. Somewhere between B and B+. His salary is somewhere between A and A+.
    If you insist on looking at pay, you have to know what goals have been laid out for him by his boss and the board of regents. I don't know what they are, but I suspect success on the field is a large factor, but not all of it. I'm sure revenue into the school and athletic dept are in there too. Keeping fans happy on message boards probably doesn't come up much.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

I ****in hate OU message boards after a loss!! So many Monday Morning QBs who think they are geniuses...

Sooner fans may be the most petulant group of people ever...well, at least in the running...
    Last edited by Sooner in Tampa; 10/21/2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

And mock Miles all you want for the buffoon his is. I do. But how many rings does he have? Last I checked two is more than one, no? Bob beat Miles every time their teams met?
    Les Miles has ONE championship and people can argue those were with Nick Sabans players.

Hate to say it, but I think Les and Bob are about equal when it comes to coaching. They just recruit very well and end up having good teams..

Now the re-match bore fest SEC national championship game, LSU had a very good team even with their two QBs, but bama was just a hell of a lot better.
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    I ****in hate OU message boards after a loss!! So many Monday Morning QBs who think they are geniuses...

Sooner fans may be the most petulant group of people ever...well, at least in the running...

AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS