Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: I can't believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    Hmmm....Chris Peterson is at Washington now...how is that working out for UW? They have only played two ranked teams and they lost to both of them. They are 106th in the nation in passing and 54th in the nation in rushing. Ehhh...not so much, it is easy to be a big fish in a small pond (aka Boise State). No Thanks

And of course Lester...they have two losses already and are staring at least two more...Alabama and Ole Miss...tell me again what a great job he is doing? He has incredible turnover every year from kids leaving his program as soon as they get the chance...not to mention having to deal with that buffoon all the time. No thanks

So do tell...who replaces Stoops?
    The question was who has done better than Stoops the past five years. The statistics I provided indicated that both Miles and Peterson have gotten better results. So either argue that I have the stats wrong or that the stats are misrepresentative or irrelevant.

You are seriously gonna knock Peterson based upon his first half-season at Washington? A rebuilding job, where he's not had time to have his own recruits. Really? I guess you'd have asked the same thing about Pete Carroll after his first year at SC when he went 6-6? "Gee, SC (insert Jethro Bodine laugh) how is that working out for you?"

And mock Miles all you want for the buffoon his is. I do. But how many rings does he have? Last I checked two is more than one, no? Bob beat Miles every time their teams met?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    Hmmm....Chris Peterson is at Washington now...how is that working out for UW? They have only played two ranked teams and they lost to both of them. They are 106th in the nation in passing and 54th in the nation in rushing. Ehhh...not so much, it is easy to be a big fish in a small pond (aka Boise State). No Thanks

And of course Lester...they have two losses already and are staring at least two more...Alabama and Ole Miss...tell me again what a great job he is doing? He has incredible turnover every year from kids leaving his program as soon as they get the chance...not to mention having to deal with that buffoon all the time. No thanks

So do tell...who replaces Stoops?
    Cant you read Bro? The Moran done said he wants Bob gone and for us to hire Saban.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Cant you read Bro? The Moran done said he wants Bob gone and for us to hire Saban.
    Yes. Yes. That's it. That is precisely what I said. I said to fire Bob and hire Saban. I clearly said that in Post #19 on this thread...er, except for the fact that I didn't. But hell Vet, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. You never have, so why start now?

Now YOU go practice YOUR reading, while the grownups talk football.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Yes. Yes. That's it. That is precisely what I said. I said to fire Bob and hire Saban. I clearly said that in Post #19 on this thread...er, except for the fact that I didn't. But hell Vet, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story. You never have, so why start now?
    Now YOU go practice YOUR reading, while the grownups talk football

Wow, thats so witty can I use that some time?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Wow, thats so witty can I use that some time?
    Hey, I give you credit for responding. Not substantively, of course. You never do.

You lead with your chin, get whacked, fall down....but you do keep coming back for more. I'll give you that.

Hey...now I know why you use the Cool Hand Luke picture!!!! Like that character, you keep getting whacked to the ground, but somehow get up. No chance of ever landing a verbal punch, but you damn sure can take 'em.

Do you swallow hard boiled eggs too?

vCash

Hey, I give you credit for responding. Not substantively, of course. You never do.

You lead with your chin, get whacked, fall down....but you do keep coming back for more. I'll give you that.

Hey...now I know why you use the Cool Hand Luke picture!!!! Like that character, you keep getting whacked to the ground, but somehow get up. No chance of ever landing a verbal punch, but you damn sure can take 'em.

Do you swallow hard boiled eggs too?
    I et 24 the other day do that count?
    As for why I have that Pic there you aint been around long enough to understand,
    But I appreciate yer kind words. Ill treasure them always

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Around 2003 I predicted Bob would be 161-23 with4NCs after 15 years at OU. Well I was close on victories but off on NCs and losses. IMHO Bob has work to do to reach the level of Barry and Bud.I don'twant Bob replaced BUT I do honestly believe he needs to step up his coaching game. Maybe he needs to pull a Snyder and start working 16 hours a day and push his coaches harder
    Owen '05-'26 122-54-16 .677 (Foundation)
    Wilkinson '47-'63 145-29-4 .829 (DYNASTY 1) 3 NC
    Switzer '73-'88 157-29-4 .837(DYNASTY 2) 3 NC
    Stoops '99- PRESENT 179-46.793 (DYNASTY 3) 1 NC and still WAITING

At OU tradition is about more than just one coach 861-319-53 .720

Scattergun toting Posse member

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoopified View Post
    Around 2003 I predicted Bob would be 161-23 with4NCs after 15 years at OU. Well I was close on victories but off on NCs and losses. IMHO Bob has work to do to reach the level of Barry and Bud.I don'twant Bob replaced BUT I do honestly believe he needs to step up his coaching game. Maybe he needs to pull a Snyder and start working 16 hours a day and push his coaches harder
    I can agree with this.

Agree. Again, I think it's very simple. When you get paid 5-star money, 5-star results are expected. The past 5 seasons have NOT been 5 star.

Problem is, I'm not sure you can catch lightening in a bottle and get that same Stoops again. He's human like we all are. And he's now a VERY wealthy man. Nothing to be afraid of as he was when he first took the job.
    Last edited by Snrinhouston; 10/20/2014 at 05:45 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Agree. Again, I think it's very simple. When you get paid 5-star money, 5-star results are expected. The past 5 seasons have NOT been 5 star.

Problem is, I'm not sure you can catch lightening in a bottle and get that same Stoops again. He's human like we all are. And he's now a VERY wealthy man. Nothing to be afraid of as he was when he first took the job.
    5 years is kind of arbitrary and simply because you find a few coaches who have a slight better win Percentage over that time frame doesn't mean that Stoops is anything but a premiere coach or is unlikely to produce another championship.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    5 years is kind of arbitrary and simply because you find a few coaches who have a slight better win Percentage over that time frame doesn't mean that Stoops is anything but a premiere coach or is unlikely to produce another championship.
    I don't think 5 years is arbitrary. One, that is the amount of time since OU's last NC game. Two, it is the amount of time that many pundits say a new head coach should be given before his performance is judged. OU's average final AP ranking the past 5 years has been 13. And that's only computed by assigning OU a 25 ranking at the end of the 2009 season, when in fact it was not ranked in the top 25. If you consider an average AP ranking of 13 and not even being in NC contention through the middle of November to be "premiere" performance, then we have different understandings of what "premiere" is.

What Saban has done the past 5 years is premiere. What Bob did the first 5 years is premiere. What he's doing now is pretty good. I want OU football to be better than "pretty good".

vCash

I don't think 5 years is arbitrary. One, that is the amount of time since OU's last NC game. Two, it is the amount of time that many pundits say a new head coach should be given before his performance is judged. OU's average final AP ranking the past 5 years has been 13. And that's only computed by assigning OU a 25 ranking at the end of the 2009 season, when in fact it was not ranked in the top 25. If you consider an average AP ranking of 13 and not even being in NC contention through the middle of November to be "premiere" performance, then we have different understandings of what "premiere" is.

What Saban has done the past 5 years is premiere. What Bob did the first 5 years is premiere. What he's doing now is pretty good. I want OU football to be better than "pretty good".
    And Saban's salary reflects that success. Unless you see Saban coming to Oklahoma then I'm not sure where we go with this line of thought.

And Saban's salary reflects that success. Unless you see Saban coming to Oklahoma then I'm not sure where we go with this line of thought.

Bob's salary is 2nd highest. Only behind Saban's. I would have very mixed feelings about Saban being OUs coach. Can't stand him. Can't argue with his success. I'm just pointing out that Saban's results over the past five years have truly been premiere. Bob's results by comparison cannot be called premiere. Again, the results have been pretty good. Somewhere between B and B+. His salary is somewhere between A and A+.

vCash

Bob's salary is 2nd highest. Only behind Saban's. I would have very mixed feelings about Saban being OUs coach. Can't stand him. Can't argue with his success. I'm just pointing out that Saban's results over the past five years have truly been premiere. Bob's results by comparison cannot be called premiere. Again, the results have been pretty good. Somewhere between B and B+. His salary is somewhere between A and A+.
    It isn't really possible that coaches pay will reflect what is happening at any given point. There isn't going always to be a direct one for one relationship between what a coach earns and his win-loss record. I would think Stoops was probably making C money and got A+ results when he won a NC. It all evens out as there will almost assuredly be guys passing him on the salary scale after this year.

Stoops is not only being paid based on current and past performance but also on expectations for the future. History suggests that coaches with Stoops resume will deliver results.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I could care less what Stoops makes. As a matter of fact I would expect the head coach at OU to be in the coaching top earners. For that matter I hope the assistants are some of the highest paid. Stoops has done plenty at OU to get some slack. A NC, lots of conference trophies, been in the mix for more NC's than most schools, and plenty of wins. And he's a stand up guy and OU has been pretty clean. I'm not even hinting that he should go. But maybe his assistants need to be re-evaluated and I agree with stoopified in that I think he needs to step things up a bit, however and whatever that takes. I'm guessing he might even know himself. I hope he's not as myopic as Mack Brown was. I think Stoops needs to and I also think he can.

Ok. Let me pose this question.

If you knew today that OU would not get into the four team playoff during the next 5 seasons, but would consistently have 10-2 or 9-3 regular season records, would you be ok with that?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Here's my thought on this..Nobody seems to take into account that other schools
    draw on a loyal fan base and legacy schollies, etc and this has been building for a
    long time. I used to think why ANY player in OK would not want to play for the Sooners?
    Still do, most of the time, but that is the case in OK, TX, KS, MO, OH. MI and so on....
    Face it, we aren't the center of the universe, (although I don't know why). Bama, Fl,
    MS, etc...this is going to keep on keepin' on...so, OUr coaches RILLY need to have their
    selling hats on. Ya know, it used ta be...you come to OK and we'll win championships,
    if you don't, we'll still win chanpionships....not that way now....jus' sayin...

vCash

Ok. Let me pose this question.

If you knew today that OU would not get into the four team playoff during the next 5 seasons, but would consistently have 10-2 or 9-3 regular season records, would you be ok with that?
    If by OK you mean happy or pleased, probably not. What I am saying is that Bob Stoops record suggests that will not be the case.

If by OK you mean happy or pleased, probably not. What I am saying is that Bob Stoops record suggests that will not be the case.
    Ok. That clarifies the point on which we disagree. I don't think Stoops will get the team to the playoff in the next 5 years. You do. I hope you prove me wrong.

vCash

Ok. That clarifies the point on which we disagree. I don't think Stoops will get the team to the playoff in the next 5 years. You do. I hope you prove me wrong.
    Below are the 5 year records of three coaches on major college programs. In your opinion are these coaches that have their teams going in the right direction? If you were the AD would you retain these coaches or look to hire a new coach?

Coach #1
    -----
    Season 1 11-2
    Season 2 10-2
    Season 3 9-3
    Season 4 9-2
    Season 5 9-3

Coach #2
    ----
    Season 1 11-0
    Season 2 8-2-1
    Season 3 8-3