Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: I can't believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The thing is football isn't a widget and only one team a season can win it all. Even as much as Saban is paid and their recruits are the "best of the best" they don't win it every year.

It's still a game played part time by 18-23 year olds in which the coaches have limited time to enact game plans, so it does come down to player execution a lot of times but then maybe that falls back on the staff as well for implementing complexity that they don't have time to grasp given the NCAA limitations. Do I think there are issues with some of the play calling that should be corrected? Yes but I also don't think it is bad enough to can the staff.
    I can't stand Saban. And I'm sure I'm not alone. But who of the haters cannot grudgingly admit that he truly is worth every cent of the 7 million/year he's paid?

He's got 4 rings...and is still in the hunt this year. Who among us thinks that he wouldn't get more out of this OU team than Stoops has?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Ok. I see the claim. What's the evidence to support it based on team performance over the past six years?
    I love how one or two guys looks up Stoops' salary and suddenly everyone else is held to a high evidentiary standard. Enough has been posted on this matter in this thread and others to provide plenty of support for Stoops job performance. If you are unhappy with Stoops as our head coach, you certainly have a right to your opinion. But the mere fact that your opinion stands in stark disagreement to the majority of the posters here does not entitle you to an itemized accounting of every reason we have to support Stoops. Nobody here owes you any explanation at all, even though plenty has been given in this thread and others you can read without even having to proceed beyond page 1 of this forum.

I probably shouldn't even go this far, but the language of your comment suggests you have at least a basic understanding of argumentation theory. Surely you understand that those who seek to propose a change shoulder the burden to establish a clear plan for said change as well as the underlying needs for and advantages of said change. So if you'd like to continue, then we'd all like to see exactly who you think could do better along with evidence for why and how that person could do a better job than Stoops.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Yup, I agree also. Heh, maybe Bob orta do a conference call with the
    "experts" on this board...they could tell him how to fix it, whatever "it"
    is.
    I hate this line. Like we can't comment when something is blatantly wrong? Perhaps I can't comment a wrong tooth was pulled because I'm not a dentist. Please, take your sanctimony someplace else, it's lame, and it doesn't make you a 'better' person...
    Last edited by ObiKaTony; 10/19/2014 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    I love how one or two guys looks up Stoops' salary and suddenly everyone else is held to a high evidentiary standard. Enough has been posted on this matter in this thread and others to provide plenty of support for Stoops job performance. If you are unhappy with Stoops as our head coach, you certainly have a right to your opinion. But the mere fact that your opinion stands in stark disagreement to the majority of the posters here does not entitle you to an itemized accounting of every reason we have to support Stoops. Nobody here owes you any explanation at all, even though plenty has been given in this thread and others you can read without even having to proceed beyond page 1 of this forum.

I probably shouldn't even go this far, but the language of your comment suggests you have at least a basic understanding of argumentation theory. Surely you understand that those who seek to propose a change shoulder the burden to establish a clear plan for said change as well as the underlying needs for and advantages of said change. So if you'd like to continue, then we'd all like to see exactly who you think could do better along with evidence for why and how that person could do a better job than Stoops.
    You spent a lot of words to say "Gee. I haven't offered any relevant evidence". The relevant time period is the last 5 years. The 5 years since his last NC game. What has Stoops accomplished in the last 5 years to merit 5 star pay? Does anyone disagree with the premise that he gets 5 star pay?

2009-unranked in final AP poll (but let's be generous and call it 25)
    2010-6th ranking in final AP poll
    2011-16th ranking in final AP poll
    2012-15 ranking in final AP poll
    2013-6th ranking in final AP poll

So in the past five years, OU's average final AP rank has been about 13. That's pretty good. Definitely 3 star, maybe even 4 star. But 5 star? HELL NO!!!!!

As for who's done better? Chris Peterson for one. Do the same math for his Boise State teams over the same time period. Bet you won't like the answer you get.

Do the same for that buffoon Les Miles. Bet you won't like that answer either.

And these aren't the only two examples!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I can't stand Saban. And I'm sure I'm not alone. But who of the haters cannot grudgingly admit that he truly is worth every cent of the 7 million/year he's paid?

He's got 4 rings...and is still in the hunt this year. Who among us thinks that he wouldn't get more out of this OU team than Stoops has?
    Hard to know. They have had their own issues this year being behind in the turnover column for the first time under Saban. Also, he would have to coach with less of a talent advantage and face more talented spread teams which he clearly doesn't like.

You might say Saban would recruit better and not face any talent issues, but that is just speculation. Maybe some coach could bring top 5 recruiting classes to Norman, but I have my doubts. I do think we could improve in that area with better recruiting assistances, but I don't think we'd catch up to the southeastern region of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Hard to know. They have had their own issues this year being behind in the turnover column for the first time under Saban. Also, he would have to coach with less of a talent advantage and face more talented spread teams which he clearly doesn't like.

You might say Saban would recruit better and not face any talent issues, but that is just speculation. Maybe some coach could bring top 5 recruiting classes to Norman, but I have my doubts. I do think we could improve in that area with better recruiting assistances, but I don't think we'd catch up to the southeastern region of the country.
    AGREE 100%

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post

People don't want to hear that...this is OKLAHOMA! We should get top 5 classes every year!!!111!!

Of course there's the minor issue of not being in a big talent laden state, which every other perennial power has that benefit.

Anyway, you know I'm being sarcastic, but back to being serious:

I do believe bringing in Montgomery, Bedenbaugh and Boulware will address the recruiting issues that were starting to show. Again, not something people want to hear, but it doesn't happen overnight.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Not really into the salary figures, but I do believe that all of them get paid too much, if you throw in all the free perks they get as well as their salary.
    However I'd also want big money if I had to ""nursemaid some of these self proclaimed entitled football/basketball college athletes. For every one Sam Bradford cerebral type, there's 10 or 15 (or more) that shouldn't and wouldn't be at any major institution of higher learning w/o a football scholly.

The biggest difference in Stoops and Saban, imo is that Saban is a strict CEO type and will fire his assistant coach's/coordinators azz if they don't produce quality recruits and his team area doesn't show improvement from week to week. Stoops is too loyal to a fault and lets them hang on the gravy train too long even if they're dead weight.

Also Bob has done a damn good job bringing in talent imo, and was damn good at coaching them up in his first 10 years, not so sure about the last 5 years or so, though.
    The whole Sooner program has been put behind the recruiting 8 ball, so to speak, with this disaster of conference realignment. We're okay now as far as funding but for the long term, we're probably not in very good shape, not only in recruiting, but with program hype and probably with funding as well.
    Which means the staff is going to have to turn over the rocks more to find the "Auston English (sp-?)" type athletes, outfight the Baylors, TCUs, Techs, and OSUs for them, and especially they have to excel in coaching them up to a quality level. For that we're going to have to pay a premium, and the administration is going to have to be vigilant that the FB staff is doing just that, or see that they're quickly sent packing.
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 10/19/2014 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    People don't want to hear that...this is OKLAHOMA! We should get top 5 classes every year!!!111!!

Of course there's the minor issue of not being in a big talent laden state, which every other perennial power has that benefit.

Anyway, you know I'm being sarcastic, but back to being serious:

I do believe bringing in Montgomery, Bedenbaugh and Boulware will address the recruiting issues that were starting to show. Again, not something people want to hear, but it doesn't happen overnight.
    I think you are right, and hope you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    Not really into the salary figures, but I do believe that all of them get paid too much, if you throw in all the free perks they get as well as their salary.
    However I'd also want big money if I had to ""nursemaid some of these self proclaimed entitled football/basketball college athletes. For every one Sam Bradford cerebral type, there's 10 or 15 (or more) that shouldn't and wouldn't be at any major institution of higher learning w/o a football scholly.

The biggest difference in Stoops and Saban, imo is that Saban is a strict CEO type and will fire his assistant coach's/coordinators azz if they don't produce quality recruits and his team area doesn't show improvement from week to week. Stoops is too loyal to a fault and lets them hang on the gravy train too long even if they're dead weight.

Amen. Nuf said!

Administrator
    vCash

I think you are right, and hope you are right.
    We'll know in a year or two, but both Bedenbaugh and Montgomery are well respected for their recruiting prowess. Both seem to have infused some energy into their respective positions (with players they didn't bring in), and both seem to be doing a pretty damn good job on the recruiting trail. Bedenbaugh's work may not show up immediately, but he's doing well with the recruiting. We're already seeing a glimpse of Montgomery's work in Matthew Romar and Charles Walker.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    What coaches get paid is absurd, but the market doesn't care about absurd. I'll say it again, it's the head coach at OU that gets $5m, and Stoops happens to occupy that office. Now you can say we should replace him as so many do after a loss, but the next head coach will also make $5M or soon will after a couple of years. It's part of the price of keeping the program a destination school so we get to pick and choose when the time comes for the next guy. And there is no guarantee the next guy will do better. Charlie Strong is making $5M with little expectation of wins right now. If he turns things around, he'll surpass what Mack was making even if he never achieves as much as Mack did.

vCash

ME plus I think yer a Moran!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post

Preach it Baby!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

[QUOTE=olevetonahill;4873422]ME plus I think yer a Moran![/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed, you always will. For the day that YOU do not think I'm a "Moran" [sic], will be the day that I have most assuredly become one.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    ME plus I think yer a Moran!
    Hey, Vet, better be careful what you say er someone will jump all over you,
    tell you they hate this or that and you should just go somewhere...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

A team is only as good as its qb. While TK had one of his best games, pick 6 is hard top overcome against a tough opponent (see TCU game). Kicker failed when it mattered. Heupel had a few bonehead calls that added to the fail. I like Mike and I like Bob. I think Bob has caused our offensive coordinators over the years to be too conservative at times which causes our overall competitiveness to drop...at times. This was a weird game with too many fails by the defense early, a couple bad calls by the OC, a costly pick 6, and missed FG. Let's keep Bob but we gotta find bigtime qb play where a bonehead OC call can be dealt with better (outside of a direct handoff to a D sold out to stop the run) and keep building depth on D.

We won't win another championship until...
    1. we have a stout Defense, not one that routinely gives up 30+ points
    2. we have a big time qb - I'm fine with TK turning into that but it doesn't look promising

This loss is painful because there is no way to salvage a championship. I'm gonna try and watch and enjoy the Sooners and hope for big things next year. Hope Blake Bell is alright.
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GDC View Post
    I think maybe Stoops needs to get over his SEC obsession and focus more on what's going on within his program. How about they recruit some quality receivers instead of relying on transfers and figure out the whole timeout issue. The bluster loses its luster when your team underperforms against quality competition. I'm very glad to see quality teams emerging in the bigXII but I would prefer ou beat them to back up the talk.
    What makes you think Stoops has an SEC obsession? He's been asked a question a couple of times and he answered the question truthfully.

Nothing he said was even that outrageous. For example, he was asked about the perceived superiority of SEC players. He answered the question, "That hasn't been the case in our experience. Whoever we've played, that hasn't been much of a difference."

Only in a world where anything short of raining praise on the SEC is an insult is that trash talking. In either case, he's simply answered questions he's been asked about.

vCash

I think one of the differences is that it doesn't appear that we have as many great football players in-state as we have had. It seems our title hopes (and frankly our basketball success) really depends on the state produces a few really good players. We have Shepard but who else?

In 2008 we had Bradford, McCoy, and Gresham. Earlier in the decade we had Lehman and Calmus who (along with Harris and Williams) really anchored the defense.

Switzer was lucky enough to get some really good guys in-state (Selmons being the obvious example.)

It seems that to some extent our success relies on having some strong in-state recruits.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

So in the past five years, OU's average final AP rank has been about 13. That's pretty good. Definitely 3 star, maybe even 4 star. But 5 star? HELL NO!!!!!

As for who's done better? Chris Peterson for one. Do the same math for his Boise State teams over the same time period. Bet you won't like the answer you get.

Do the same for that buffoon Les Miles. Bet you won't like that answer either.

And these aren't the only two examples!
    Hmmm....Chris Peterson is at Washington now...how is that working out for UW? They have only played two ranked teams and they lost to both of them. They are 106th in the nation in passing and 54th in the nation in rushing. Ehhh...not so much, it is easy to be a big fish in a small pond (aka Boise State). No Thanks

And of course Lester...they have two losses already and are staring at least two more...Alabama and Ole Miss...tell me again what a great job he is doing? He has incredible turnover every year from kids leaving his program as soon as they get the chance...not to mention having to deal with that buffoon all the time. No thanks

So do tell...who replaces Stoops?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.