Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer Sooner Schemer's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I can't believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    It would take a major scandal or resignation to get a new coach. If OU fires a coach with Stoops' record, they would never get any coach to come here. Almost assured that nobody would match Stoops' overall W record. Maybe win as many or more championships, but not the year in year out conference success. the guy would live looking over his shoulder with a two-loss season. Some would want to come due the name recognition of course, but that goes under the Schnellenberger files.
    I don't expect anything to change unless the Board of Regents get serious with Stoops the way they did with Switzer after 3 down years: http://newsok.com/switzer-welcomes-c...091449/?page=2

In each of Switzer's first three years as head coach, 1973 through 1976, he worked under a four-year agreement. But after winning two national championships and compiling a 32-1-1 record over those first three seasons, he was given five-year pacts from 1976 through 1983.

Then, last February, after OU had finished 23-12-1 from 1981 through 1983, the regents kept Switzer's contract at four years.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Never said Stoops is a bum. But I do believe that he'll never get OU into the playoff. If you are happy with 10-2, 9-3, and occasionally 8-4, then Stoops is your guy.

Who would I want to replace him? I want the guy who was like Stoops 15 years ago. Young, smart, not financially set for life and his kids lives, and scared (like Bob admits he was).
    10-2? Well he!l, we should of fired his butt in 2001 and skipped all the heartache for the last 13 years.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I remember in 2000 when the fans were praising Bob Stoops so much and he said..."I'm smart enough to know, some of the fans thanking me now will be the first ones who want to run me out of town when things are not going so well"

He does understand the expectations that are OU football and that's the way it should be...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    There are also about 120 or more head coaches in D-IA that haven't won a national championship in that time period as well and haven't been anywhere close. All you have to do is look at Nebraska for how well most knee jerk reactions turn out. It seems some Oklahoma fans are infected with a variation of the "We're Texas" disease.
    Yep. And those 120 coaches have never consistently been among the top 4 paid coaches in the country. This year Stoops is the second highest paid coach in the country...and to justify that salary?????? Well his team is out of contention and it's not even November.

How much of the 5.2 million do you think Stoops will give back to Boren this year, because he didn't get results commensurate to being the second highest paid coach? I'm guessing zero.

Stoops needs to get premium results that justify his premium pay. 6 straight years of NOT even sniffing the championship is NOT premium. If you think otherwise, I'm not sure what color the sky is in your world.

Quote Originally Posted by okiewaker View Post
    10-2? Well he!l, we should of fired his butt in 2001 and skipped all the heartache for the last 13 years.
    The sarcasm aside. You leave out a very important distinction. That 10-2 team was a VERY good team, that fell short because of pedestrian qb play. Hybl was not Heupel or Jason White. But the overall product was still so good, that the fan could credibly believe Stoops could bridge the small gap and get to another championship game. Which he did.

What have you seen in the past 6 Stoops teams that make you think, "wow, these are really good teams...that are just a hair off?"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'd like to know if Boren and Castiglione are telling him the same? Or are they content with 10-2, 9-3, or 8-4 as long as attendance doesn't drop?
    I'm sure that's true and not an unreasonable stance. As long as the revenue is flowing, they'll look at the big picture. But you left out big donors, which is an important part of the equation.

vCash

I just peeked at the ESPN rankings and we are the highest ranked 2-loss team in all 3 poles. I don't understand all the b*tching going on here.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

I still don't get what coaches make matters at all and how that is argument for anything. Just smacks of jealousy over what someone makes to me.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    I still don't get what coaches make matters at all and how that is argument for anything. Just smacks of jealousy over what someone makes to me.
    Yep,,it's called class envy.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner Benchwarmer Sooner Schemer's Avatar
    vCash

Every year, the salary goes up and ticket prices go up. Not everybody appreciates having to pay more, especially when the product isn't getting any better.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Schemer View Post
    Every year, the salary goes up and ticket prices go up. Not everybody appreciates having to pay more, especially when the product isn't getting any better.
    That's just supply and demand at work. Same product + more fans = higher prices. The market doesn't care if people appreciate it until it gets to a point the number of fans goes down.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Stoops is worth every penny. Anyone who's melting down about his salary would be doing the same if we had Briles (feel free to visit the Baylor boards this very weekend for their "trademark Briles loss" commentary) or Saban (see loss to Ole Miss and early season struggles to put teams away). Every program has its chicken littles and they are always disproportionately loud after any loss or even a close game. I'm sure even Bud Wilkinson dealt with criticism after winning us 47 straight. Otherwise, he never would have had cause to make a comment I find equally relevant here: "The only ones who don't lose don't play."
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Kill em ALL let God sort em out!
    There be some Morans around here. Do I think Bob has a bit of Complacency? Hell yea Do I think Bob needs to Know we the Fans are Unhappy? Hell yes. Do I think Bob Needs Fired? Are Yall out yer ****in minds?????
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Not near as many morans around here compared to 2004-'07. Wonder what it takes to bring in a couple hundy neg posters to have fun with?

Quote Originally Posted by okiewaker View Post
    Yep,,it's called class envy.
    Uh no. It's called accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I just peeked at the ESPN rankings and we are the highest ranked 2-loss team in all 3 poles. I don't understand all the b*tching going on here.

Great! It's always nice to be the "cleanest" shirt in the dirty laundry pile.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Stoops is worth every penny. Anyone who's melting down about his salary would be doing the same if we had Briles (feel free to visit the Baylor boards this very weekend for their "trademark Briles loss" commentary) or Saban (see loss to Ole Miss and early season struggles to put teams away). Every program has its chicken littles and they are always disproportionately loud after any loss or even a close game. I'm sure even Bud Wilkinson dealt with criticism after winning us 47 straight. Otherwise, he never would have had cause to make a comment I find equally relevant here: "The only ones who don't lose don't play."
    Ok. I see the claim. What's the evidence to support it based on team performance over the past six years?

vCash

Then stay home and watch on TeeVee.
    This **** is Nutts!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

The thing is football isn't a widget and only one team a season can win it all. Even as much as Saban is paid and their recruits are the "best of the best" they don't win it every year.

It's still a game played part time by 18-23 year olds in which the coaches have limited time to enact game plans, so it does come down to player execution a lot of times but then maybe that falls back on the staff as well for implementing complexity that they don't have time to grasp given the NCAA limitations. Do I think there are issues with some of the play calling that should be corrected? Yes but I also don't think it is bad enough to can the staff.

vCash

Great! It's always nice to be the "cleanest" shirt in the dirty laundry pile.
    Need to check that ol sarcasm meter.