Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: SIX STRAIGHT YEARS...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    The defense gave up 24 points against a KSU offense that averages 39 points a game. This wasn't a fail by the defense.
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Not that I'm happy with the defense by any means. You really can't excuse a 3-man rush on 3rd down that gets no pressure on the QB, nor can you really excuse playing off and allowing WRs to get a free release when you finally do send a blitz. But at the same time, no Rip and no Bell, and everyone in the sports universe knows that Perine's getting the ball on 3rd and goal at the 2...c'mon. I mean, I'm all for manning up and getting the yards the tough way, but at no point in the game had we shown that we could actually do that when they loaded the box.

So many failures at so many places. Hard to understand. I think leadership is an issue. TCU practically gave us the game through penalties and turnovers, but when it came down to it we couldn't capitalize. Despite our own mistakes and turnovers, we still had a chance to win, but couldn't step up and make the necessary plays.

Or maybe the color purple is just as vomit-inducing for the coaches/players as it is for fans.

God I hate losing to KSU. Their hee-hawing fanbase is going to be extra intolerable this week.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post
    The last time we won the NC we didn't have national title caliber talent either. But we did have national title caliber coaching and national title caliber grit and hunger.
    Nailed it! We have Fat & Happy coaches with mansions that no longer have to fight for their jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Not that I'm happy with the defense by any means. You really can't excuse a 3-man rush on 3rd down that gets no pressure on the QB, nor can you really excuse playing off and allowing WRs to get a free release when you finally do send a blitz. But at the same time, no Rip and no Bell, and everyone in the sports universe knows that Perine's getting the ball on 3rd and goal at the 2...c'mon. I mean, I'm all for manning up and getting the yards the tough way, but at no point in the game had we shown that we could actually do that when they loaded the box.

So many failures at so many places. Hard to understand. I think leadership is an issue. TCU practically gave us the game through penalties and turnovers, but when it came down to it we couldn't capitalize. Despite our own mistakes and turnovers, we still had a chance to win, but couldn't step up and make the necessary plays.

Or maybe the color purple is just as vomit-inducing for the coaches/players as it is for fans.

God I hate losing to KSU. Their hee-hawing fanbase is going to be extra intolerable this week.
    Bingo. All season this line has lost on short-yardage "we are going to run, and we know you know it" downs. But for some reason Josh keeps hoping. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Bingo. All season this line has lost on short-yardage "we are going to run, and we know you know it" downs. But for some reason Josh keeps hoping. What's the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for different results...
    He's only been calling plays for a few years, so that should be expected. He'll be a lot better in 10 years.
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TrophyCollector View Post
    He's only been calling plays for a few years, so that should be expected. He'll be a lot better in 10 years.
    God help us if that next 10 years is at OU.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post

I've been wondering about this, or more specifically is the commitment to Fox for all the OU coaching shows, coaching call-in shows (sort of like the early Mack Brown comment about the LwH network and time commitment) being a positive for the Sooner FB team play on the field. You'd think the head coach and other coaches would be able to handle it with the more than generous salaries that they're bringing in, but I don't know if they realistically can.
    If we keep coughing up games though whether it's due to the players not executing or the coaches not being above average with their game plans, it won't make any difference because hardly anyone will give a damn about watching these OU coach's shows for their opinions.

vCash

God help us if that next 10 years is at OU.
    I wouldn't think a top tier program like OU would become a training ground for play callers so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by TrophyCollector View Post
    I wouldn't think a top tier program like OU would become a training ground for play callers so who knows.
    Unfortunately, that is what it is. Many people have argued (and the facts seem to prove it), that Heupel was promoted to that position WAY TOO SOON.

vCash

Unfortunately, that is what it is. Many people have argued (and the facts seem to prove it), that Heupel was promoted to that position WAY TOO SOON.
    Agreed. And I was one of those who looked forward to him becoming the OC. Silly me....
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Agreed. And I was one of those who looked forward to him becoming the OC. Silly me....
    I was guilty of it too. Many of us were. But we now see that it's just not working out as well as it needs to be. Hopefully, the decision makers at OU will come to that conclusion too and take action.

vCash

I was guilty of it too. Many of us were. But we now see that it's just not working out as well as it needs to be. Hopefully, the decision makers at OU will come to that conclusion too and take action.
    I doubt it! It took forever to get rid of Venables and company. I figure Heupel has another 2-3 years of mediocrity left before he's gone.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member JLEW1818's Avatar
    vCash
    Wow ... Time flys..
    Seems like yesterday Sam was throwing all over Tech at home, 2008.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nanimonai's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by JLEW1818 View Post
    Wow ... Time flys..
    Seems like yesterday Sam was throwing all over Tech at home, 2008.
    When we won in 2000, it seemed like it had been 50 years since the last NC in 1985. Next year it will be the same amount of time, equal to the last Switzer years, Gibbs, Sanders, and Blake.
    clever signature

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Sanders? was he that High School OC that Boo had running our "change the QB weekly" offense?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nanimonai's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    Sanders? was he that High School OC that Boo had running our "change the QB weekly" offense?
    Sanders as in the Colonel who liked his scotch.
    clever signature

vCash

Does anyone really think that even if they would've made it to the playoff with this defense they wouldn't get blown out

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan69 View Post
    Does anyone really think that even if they would've made it to the playoff with this defense they wouldn't get blown out
    Nope. This defense is lost if it can't force turnovers and sack the QB. And it didn't do any of one, and way too little of the other, today.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Hold on guys the defense gave up 24 points today. 24 points to a team averaging almost 40 per game. What the deal is, if our defense doesn't force turnovers and produce points then the offense doesn't have enough firepower to win games. The defense kept the scoring down and the offense made two key turnovers in the redzone, one for a walk-in touchdown. The defense did their job.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerwake's Avatar
    vCash

It's posts like these that are the reason I stay away from this board for a few days after a loss.

What was I thinking? Geesh.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Hold on guys the defense gave up 24 points today. 24 points to a team averaging almost 40 per game. What the deal is, if our defense doesn't force turnovers and produce points then the offense doesn't have enough firepower to win games. The defense kept the scoring down and the offense made two key turnovers in the redzone, one for a walk-in touchdown. The defense did their job.
    Agreed. The defense isn't what they looked like early but they aren't the biggest problem. It seems in earlier games we got a lot of pressure on the qb. What happened to more blitzing? A 3 man rush would be ok if we had 3 beasts which we don't. No pressure on the qb only allows time for someone to get open which they will. I think the d can do better but this offense at times is hard to watch. Especially in the red zone.