Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SIX STRAIGHT YEARS...

…that OU isn't in serious contention for a national title in November.

If the goal is to win another National Championship, this staff doesn't have what it takes. Does any more evidence need to be seen to conclude this?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member GDC's Avatar
    vCash

Re: SIX STRAIGHT YEARS...

I wonder how many recruits left the game impressed by this performance.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nanimonai's Avatar
    vCash

This is obviously the lowest period of years in Stoops' tenure at OU and even at the worst we're not sinking nearly as bad as other national power teams do in their lean years. Look at Texas, Florida, Tennessee in their bad years recently. We never lost 77-0 to anyone, fired off a bowl-less 4-8 season etc etc. We still haven't lost back to back regular season games since 1999.

We don't have national title caliber talent right now and it's about that simple.
    clever signature

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GDC View Post
    I wonder how many recruits left the game impressed by this performance.
    Let us hope they aren't lb's

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Stoops is what he is 9-4 or 10-3. I don't see this team winning a National Championship in the near future but also don't see them going 7-6. The problem with firing college coaches is the school waits until the program is in the toilet (see Michigan) before they make a move and by then it's too late. Plus there isn't a glut if good college coaches looking for jobs as there is in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by nanimonai View Post
    This is obviously the lowest period of years in Stoops' tenure at OU and even at the worst we're not sinking nearly as bad as other national power teams do in their lean years. Look at Texas, Florida, Tennessee in their bad years recently. We never lost 77-0 to anyone, fired off a bowl-less 4-8 season etc etc. We still haven't lost back to back regular season games since 1999.

We don't have national title caliber talent right now and it's about that simple.

We may not have National Title caliber talent. But it's also a very fair question whether we have National Title caliber coaching. Does Ole Miss and MSU really have that much better talent than us????

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nanimonai View Post

Nor coaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

vCash

This team may have the players to contend for an NC but they won't with the coaching staff. And I don't mean BS but the offense is simply pathetic. I watch high school football on tv and see more creative offensive playcalling than what I've seen at OU in the last 3 or 4 years. It's baffling to say the least. KSU loaded the box and we still run it right into the teeth of their D. Snyder was so sure he sent in more linemen. Now Snyder is a helluva coach but my 17 year old daughter could have called that and she doesn't even watch football. In the past I've heard the coaches scheme around the players they have but I don't buy that for one second. I think we are similar to how Texas was with Mack Brown. Our players are being limited by what they are being coached. And speaking of Texas, Stoops better correct his staff quick because I think Strong is going to have Texas competing nationally very soon.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    This team may have the players to contend for an NC but they won't with the coaching staff. And I don't mean BS but the offense is simply pathetic. I watch high school football on tv and see more creative offensive playcalling than what I've seen at OU in the last 3 or 4 years. It's baffling to say the least. KSU loaded the box and we still run it right into the teeth of their D. Snyder was so sure he sent in more linemen. Now Snyder is a helluva coach but my 17 year old daughter could have called that and she doesn't even watch football. In the past I've heard the coaches scheme around the players they have but I don't buy that for one second. I think we are similar to how Texas was with Mack Brown. Our players are being limited by what they are being coached. And speaking of Texas, Stoops better correct his staff quick because I think Strong is going to have Texas competing nationally very soon.
    Today was the least they've scored in conference play, 30 points, the D can't stop a nosebleed. I know everyone wants to pile on Heupel but when you average 35pts a game you should win.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

When I see posts like this, I often wonder how Nebraska has any MNCs.

There are clearly coaching problems on both sides of the ball.

The questions are simple.

1. Is Stoops paid an amount for which is is rightfully expected to be legitimately in the hunt for National Championships on a regular basis?
    2. If the answer to #1 is yes, then is he delivering that type of product on the field?

3. Is the OU faithful satisfied with a team that won't compete for National Championships, but will regularly go somewhere between 10-2 and 8-4 during the regular season?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    Stoops is what he is 9-4 or 10-3. I don't see this team winning a National Championship in the near future but also don't see them going 7-6. The problem with firing college coaches is the school waits until the program is in the toilet (see Michigan) before they make a move and by then it's too late. Plus there isn't a glut if good college coaches looking for jobs as there is in the NFL.
    big game will never fire his brother...............

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    Let us hope they aren't lb's
    Or safeties.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I cannot even fathom why we're talking about the offense based on what I just witnessed on the defense. 30 points at home isn't enough for a win?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    I cannot even fathom why we're talking about the offense based on what I just witnessed on the defense. 30 points at home isn't enough for a win?
    The defense gave up 24 points against a KSU offense that averages 39 points a game. This wasn't a fail by the defense.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    We may not have National Title caliber talent. But it's also a very fair question whether we have National Title caliber coaching. Does Ole Miss and MSU really have that much better talent than us????
    The last time we won the NC we didn't have national title caliber talent either. But we did have national title caliber coaching and national title caliber grit and hunger.

vCash

You know, Animal Planet really has their Saturday game down pretty tight. Non-stop videos of puppies and kittens all day long. I suggest the OP take a breather, click over and check out the puppies, and then come back to post.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    It's not just this game but almost every game against a decent opponent. We should have scored more and the game shouldn't have been that close. The defense has had some issues but overall they've held up enough. Even the TCU game I thought there were several plays the the defense came very close to making plays that could have been the difference. An almost interception, an almost sack. They were close. But the offense isn't helping. This game wasn't bad on t.o.p. but there have been others where the offense can't sustain a drive or even get a first down and the d is back on the field. You give most of these offenses enough chances and they are going to score. And yes, I am also venting some pent up frustration with my team. I watch other teams and quite a few that I feel don't have as good as players but they have better plays. And it really stands out on offense. If our offense was better it would undoubtedly make the d better also. And they're not too bad right now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post
    The last time we won the NC we didn't have national title caliber talent either. But we did have national title caliber coaching and national title caliber grit and hunger.
    Amen! And Bob made some great (lucky?) personnel changes which helped us stay in the hunt for 5 or 6 years.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post
    I've just got to think there is something not quite right with this staff.
    It's either some dissension from the top for the friends-and-family-plan coaches being forced out or perhaps some of the position coaches are not all-in with our coordinators. In any event, I doubt we'll be anything but middle-of-the-road win-the-Big-12 every 3 or 4 years with this staff, as is.
    I also think some of the players that we recruit don't have much football sense or maybe they can't spell cat. It's either that or our coaches aren't paying that much attention to detail and not coaching the little things to be successful.