Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Stoops was asked on his radio show about fans complaining after beating Texas

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    Meh. How spoiled are we really?

Havn't won a title in 14 years. Hell, havn't won a conference title in four, and Only one meaningful bowl win since 2003.

I know we are better than most, but we also put in more money and effort than most, so it is not exactly the greatest accomplishment of all time when you win more than most.

I love stoops, and frankly, I love his retort, but we havn't been elite in about a decade.
    We're really spoiled. Just look at these numbers:

• Stoops has won more games against top 25 teams than anyone with a minimum of 10 games versus ranked teams.
    • Stoops is the first coach to beat Texas 10 times.
    • Winningest coach in school history.
    • Stoops' teams have averaged over 10 wins a year, EVERY year, for the past 15 years (unmatched by any current coach, at any current program)

If you can only be 'elite' by winning a national title, then there's only one 'elite' team a year, and by that standard I guess we haven't been 'elite'. By every other standard, we have absolutely been elite.

We have it better than any program in the country over the past 15 years.

That's not to say the criticism in general is unfounded, but it's the fan equivalent of 'first world problems'.

vCash

Re: Stoops was asked on his radio show about fans complaining after beating Texas

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

• Stoops has won more games against top 25 teams than anyone with a minimum of 10 games versus ranked teams.
    • Stoops' teams have averaged over 10 wins a year, EVERY year, for the past 15 years (unmatched by any current coach, at any current program)

If you can only be 'elite' by winning a national title, then there's only one 'elite' team a year, and by that standard I guess we haven't been 'elite'. By every other standard, we have absolutely been elite.

That's not to say the criticism in general is unfounded, but it's the fan equivalent of 'first world problems'.
    Nice long stretch of being pretty damn good, but not the best. That's a big ol MEH in my book.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Nice long stretch of being pretty damn good, but not the best. That's a big ol MEH in my book.
    Only championships will do!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I think he took it to the only guy you wouldn't say MEH to last January.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I think he took it to the only guy you wouldn't say MEH to last January.
    I know right! And I love how we've used that to catapult ourselves back into real prominence and competing for championships! (imagine someone, say me for instance, rolling their eyes right now)
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I know right! And I love how we've used that to catapult ourselves back into real prominence and competing for championships! (imagine someone, say me for instance, rolling their eyes right now)
    You thought Joe Mixon and all his friends that waited to commit until after the season was over were going to make us instant NC contenders as true freshmen?

(imagine me rolling around on the floor with a puppy)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You thought Joe Mixon and all his friends that waited to commit until after the season was over were going to make us instant NC contenders as true freshmen?

(imagine me rolling around on the floor with a puppy)
    I thought that? Damn, you're psychic?

In fact I had no such thoughts, haven't had em for several years now, and don't foresee having them again during Stoops' tenure.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I thought that? Damn, you're psychic?

In fact I had no such thoughts, haven't had em for several years now, and don't foresee having them again during Stoops' tenure.
    Well whatever.

(Keep imagining me rolling around with puppies.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

Welp, I've been around for a while...I have seen "elite" (Can you say 47 straight?) And, I have
    suffered through Gomer, Smellenberger and Blake. Wrapped all around that is "The King", Gibbs,
    (Not terrible) and the current "elite" in Mr. Stoops. I exhibit more body English when we are on
    defense, scream "C'mon, Guys, just tackle 'im!" and I do NOT sit down, even in my own family
    room. It has been, is and always will be BOOMER SOONER!

For anyone to say we are not elite...the highest scoring college team in history, second only to
    Meatchicken in overall wins, bestest damn team in modern times, most weeks in BCS top 5, most
    this, most that and on and on, well, anyone who sez that should surrender his/her Sooner card
    and strip down and walk out the gates into the Texas sunset...never look back, apologize to the
    family and fade away, allowing the buzzards, ant hills and coyotes to have at 'em, knowing only
    that prostrate repentance at the Pearly Gates will, MAYBE, allow the family to continue existence
    in the Good Graces of the Sooner Nation.

Now, keep in mind, that I still hold a grudge toward Dick Lynch around right end, following Nick
    Pietrosante and a 7-0 final score. I say that, just so ya know.....Rock On Sooners!

vCash

You are old enough to know that the gawdawful domer is the debbil incarnate!...You might be a fool Lib when it comes to politics, but you most definitely have your football priorities straight.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Well spoken, ROS!

And, Curly Bill, I sense you want Stoops gone. Might we know with whom you'd replace him? And Nickie Satan is not a valid choice.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I could buy that if that sort of attitude didn't make it likely for us to slide into another era of mediocrity. Get rid of Stoops and the odds are in a few years we'd be begging to have him back.

Now, if Stoops or the players indicated they weren't satisfied with being pretty damn good then I'd be happy with that. It serves no positive purpose for us to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    The number of years (roughly 15) is about all the period between 1985 and 2000 has in common with 2000 to 2014. We certainly haven't had three consecutive losing seasons or five consecutive seasons without a winning record in the latter period.

I don't think you want to compare Stoops's results to Gibbs. Gibbs never won a conference title despite there being only 8 teams in conference. Gibbs was 2-14-1 against Texas, Nebraska, and Colorado. He had even begun losing to KSU regularly towards the end (thanks in part to Snyder's recruitment of Oklahoma talent).

One thing I can say is that we had better defensive performances under Gibbs than lately under Stoops. However, I think you could probably say the same about most top level schools. Offenses simply challenge defenses a lot more than they did 20 years ago. (Definitely more variation week to week to adjust to.) All that said, if Stoops wanted to hire Gibbs back as defensive coordinator (assuming Mike left) I wouldn't be against it.

As for the monster not claiming Stoops: I think those in power realize how stupid it would be to get rid of him. He's been easily one of the most successful coaches in the decade. I sure hope we don't get stupid enough to think we can get a better coach.

Even at places who had guys who won titles, how many of those schools have fallen on hard times since? Florida hasn't done so great once Meyer left. USC hasn't done great since Carroll left. Mack Brown didn't do so great after his title. You never know when Saban is going to jump ship again. There's something to be said about having a successful coach who will stick around.

And, frankly, with a couple of breaks we could have had a couple of more titles. Stoops definitely brought teams together than were in position to win them. Who knows what would have happened with a healthy White in 2003. I think most OU fans would argue that with Murray we probably would have beaten Florida. In fact, I think we very well may have put a distance between us and Florida early which would have been hard for Florida/Tebow to handle. If we keep knocking on the door every few years sooner or later the breaks will fall our way.

Maybe we'll get LSU or Florida/FSU/Miami in Dallas for a change.
    Very salient points and I can't disagree. My main point, which your point support, is that Stoops has tamed the monster. In no way can the period of 1985 to 2000 be compared with 2000 to 2014 in terms of OUs wins, competitiveness, stability, and recognition. Yet they are both similar stretches of time that are awful long for Oklahoma to go without a championship. The monster did not tolerate it previously, with 4 coaches during that same time frame. It is the very fact that Stoops has taken us to within sight of the mountaintop (and to the top once, but not for 14 years), that the monster has been quieted. If you asked me 15 years ago, or even 10 years ago, if an OU coach would last 15 years at OU without winning a national championship, I would have laughed it off and said no way. Now, here we are with that very reality, and there is no end in sight to the current level of success, which is good, even great at times, but no championship. This is what the monster has demanded, but now, not so much.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Following Bud's departure, we had multiple coaches, but all essentially from the same coaching tree...and we waited what? 18 years? to get back to the top. Barry was washed up and damn near buried as a dinosaur before he came back to win again...and then go on a superbowl in the NFL.
    Bob won one and had two more within grasp but for random events. He's hardly out of line with history or lost his edge.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

I don't think Bob has lost his edge. I think he is a darn fine coach who consistently wins 10 games a season and does the OU program very proudly. I also think he loses games he has no business losing and has made questionable coaching hires that have hurt recruiting and player development. But nobody is perfect.

At the end of the day, I would gladly trade some of those 10-win seasons for a W over LSU, USC, or Florida.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    I don't think Bob has lost his edge. I think he is a darn fine coach who consistently wins 10 games a season and does the OU program very proudly. I also think he loses games he has no business losing and has made questionable coaching hires that have hurt recruiting and player development. But nobody is perfect.

At the end of the day, I would gladly trade some of those 10-win seasons for a W over LSU, USC, or Florida.
    Short and sweet, and pretty much complete
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

You'd rather be Auburn?

In some ways, yes. I think two more NCs would burnish our credentials a lot more than 4 extra 10-win seasons. Just the way I look at it. Stoops' record is nothing to sneeze at. I am not an advocate of getting rid of him, because we could get much worse. I think it's an interesting thought what would occur if we got another young and hungry coach though, kind of shook it up, got some new philosophies in there. Would it be the end of the world? We could prob get some good coordinator if we parse the $5 million HC salary out a little bit. Anyway, this the monster is dead - long live the monster.

vCash

In some ways, yes. I think two more NCs would burnish our credentials a lot more than 4 extra 10-win seasons. Just the way I look at it. Stoops' record is nothing to sneeze at. I am not an advocate of getting rid of him, because we could get much worse. I think it's an interesting thought what would occur if we got another young and hungry coach though, kind of shook it up, got some new philosophies in there. Would it be the end of the world? We could prob get some good coordinator if we parse the $5 million HC salary out a little bit. Anyway, this the monster is dead - long live the monster.
    I love NC's, and I'm certainly disappointed with our wait, but let's just say Texas had won the NC in 2009. I still wouldn't envy their stretch from 2009-present. Those two non-10 win seasons we've had since 2000 were incredibly painful for me, and I can't imagine why we'd willingly risk falling back into that. I also think that those claiming Stoops isn't capable of winning a NC at this point have a bad case of Chicken Little.

Personally, I don't feel that OU has only played 7 meaningful seasons.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Could have also been a jab at any one of the schools we beat by a low margin. We've heard that one a lot this year: proud of the way our guys played to the end.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.