Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Stoops was asked on his radio show about fans complaining after beating Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    In some ways, yes. I think two more NCs would burnish our credentials a lot more than 4 extra 10-win seasons. Just the way I look at it. Stoops' record is nothing to sneeze at. I am not an advocate of getting rid of him, because we could get much worse. I think it's an interesting thought what would occur if we got another young and hungry coach though, kind of shook it up, got some new philosophies in there. Would it be the end of the world? We could prob get some good coordinator if we parse the $5 million HC salary out a little bit. Anyway, this the monster is dead - long live the monster.
    Ask Tennessee, Nebraska, USC, Florida, Michigan, etc. how getting rid of/losing a winning coach worked out. The point being there just aren't many really good coaches floating around. If the aforementioned programs couldn't replace coaches and continue to win, what makes anyone think OU would be different? Stoops is one of a very small number of coaches that have continued to win, over a long period, and do so the right (clean) way. The fans that would entertain the idea, would be begging for Stoops within two years of his departure.

Some day, at his choosing, Stoops will decide to hang it up. When that day comes, it's going to be very difficult to replace him. I don't expect the same, consistent level of winning to follow immediately.

If the monster is truly dead, someone needs to let everyone know, because it certainly hasn't stopped people from showing up to games, buying merchandise or turning on the TV. If Schnellenberger and Blake couldn't kill the monster, then it's in no danger of dying anytime soon. The monster has continued to grow under Stoops, because of his ability.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Stoops was asked on his radio show about fans complaining after beating Texas

Don't know how to pick out certain sentences, but what 8x sez about
    Smellenberger (next to last game I saw in Ames) and Blake is right
    on...the monster went into hibernation...just waiting on the right food
    group...all you naysayers need to "just go away"! We are Oklahoma,
    dammit! See the next post...

vCash

I think everyone (including Stoops) would be okay with shaving a win or two off of down years in exchange for NC year(s). Championship gerrymandering, you might call it. But do those control knobs exist? Is there any facet of winning as many as possible every year somehow detrimental to winning it all in a given year? About the only thing I could think of would be to use redshirting in a way to clump all the talent into one year and then pay the price with a rebuilding year when they all leave at once**. But I don't see that as being practical with the unpredictable ways they guys develop, injuries, etc.

So I just read this thread as saying "yeah, we have it good, but would trade it for this other good thing if we could. And see, we are even willing to give up something, so it's a reasonable request".

**and this board would meltdown like a popsicle on a 100 degree day during that rebuilding year. Go look at 2005 for proof.

vCash

Dammit I'm mad spelled backwards is "Dammit I'm Mad"! And, all you that are
    knockin' Sooners better listen up....no room here fer any other than "Boomer, By
    Gawd, Sooner! Now, have ya got that?!

vCash

Aw Boulder, slipped in there...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

National Championships are sort of like golf's holes in ones.

You have to be good to get it close to the hole to have a chance of it going in. But most of all, you have to get lucky.

That's how football is. You have to be good, but you have to get lucky too. We're good, we get it close to the hole, but a bad call, or an injury, screws it.