Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Sooner womens basketball thread 2014-15

While the first exhibition game is Nov. 5, there will be free public scrimmage on Thursday. Details here at SS.com. Perhaps you'll be able to pick our your favorite new player in-game as opposed to in the photos/videos I'm posting here

Onto another n00b Sooner...
    Gileysa Penzo

The jersey-pull makes her look like another 7-foot center, but actually Gileysa (please don't ask me to pronounce it please please please) is a 5'9" guard from Puerto Rico, but played most recently in some Florida academy named Montverde... as I read that I get a strange Italian accent going in my head.

I think initially looking at her stats on SS.com's profile you might wonder wtf is going on... shooting guard? Really? But, as ouhoops.com thread points out (along with the correct pronunciation) she was on the FIBA team, so she must be awesome.

Plus, that 7.6 ppg stat was from 2011 FIBA, not against HS buffoons like me

Check this video at about 35 second mark... a missed three she runs in and gets an easy two. Definitely reminds me of stuff our recent guards have done like D-Rob and Vegas-burger:

baj's seasonal projection: I have no idea if Peyton will be our starter at this position or if she's gotten beat out by this hotshot freshmen, but either way, I have reason to have hope that this year will be better than the last. Please please please

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Badg, not sure if you're aware, but Gileysa blew out her knee a few weeks ago and will be a sideline warrior this year. Guess we gotta have someone!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
    Badg, not sure if you're aware, but Gileysa blew out her knee a few weeks ago and will be a sideline warrior this year. Guess we gotta have someone!!!
    badger before reading that:

badger after reading that:

dammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammitdammit did any of those actually make it by the word filter?

vCash

After being virtually embarrassed with not knowing team injury news, I have consulted the real Sooner basketball experts at ouhoops on any other team injury issues. Shaya has a screw in her toe and will be out about 3 weeks, but Vivi appears to be the only other injury bug at this point.

BUT, just to be safe, let's skip the usual n00b profile today (it's scrimmage Thursday after all) and jump right to this shocking, earth shattering news:

Geno's girls are No. 1 again.

For Valentine's Day, I should ask NP if I can go to the Feb. 21 UConn @ Tulsa game so I can mercilessly heckle them. Four years in basketball band means I have tons of practice. Alas, I will not have basketball band protection against heckling (it's not as acceptable for non-student grown ups, especially women) so I would probably get kicked out after a few mins. Joke's on them... if mommy gets kicked out nothing holding her daughter back from running onto the court. Bawwww, your entire starting lineup just tripped over a toddler and is now out for the season with torn ACLs.

As Stoops would say, UConn's schedule is filled up with "a bunch of toughies" with the AAC conference now omitting the Catholic 7, namely Domer, and having an eternity ban on meeting Tennessee in the regular season again. Sure, they're still meeting Notre Dame, but they're not meeting them home-and-home and again in the conference tourney.

Oh, and since I should probably at least give a glancing mention of OUr own team... we are unranked and I cannot remember the last time we started a season unranked. Pre-Stacey Dales probably.

Here's the other noteables:
    8 Baylor
    9 Texas
    17 West Virginia
    21 Oklahoma St

This season suddenly feels longer. Boomer?

vCash

Scrimmage recap on SS.com!

Seriously, go ahead and try to decipher the "box scores" from the two intervals... or give up and just check out the baseball team's Halloween costume photo gallery.

vCash

I've had womens basketball threads derailed by post-postgame loss depression, pregnancy and more, but have yet to stop threads due to football mourning even before the season started... and don't intend to start now.

Thursday exhibition: OU 106; SE Okla 56

Perhaps we just left our should-be starters in longer, or perhaps we just have really good depth at shooting, but I recall days during the heyday of Sherri Final Four/top ten in polls teams (early aughts) where scoring 100 was not a given, even against exhibition opponents or some team they imported from Sweeden. As such, do not take the "106" number lightly --- the century mark is difficult even if you're playing against the lowliest of competition and after Saturday's Owen Field debacle... GIMME SCORING SOONERS GIMME THREE BAJILLION SCORES MORE

Sooner statz:

Other Nicole is now only Nicole: After at least one season nyucking it up that there was Tall Nicole and Other Nicole, Kornet is now the team's leading scorer after one (exhibition, yes) game, with 18 points. 7 for 12 from the field; 4 of 8 from three. All in just 17 minutes.

Fill my eyes with double figures: Peyton Little (12 points); Kaylon Williams (15 points); Sharane Campbell-Olds (12 points); Gioya Carter (12); and LaNesia Williams (11 points).

Gabbi for the rebound: Led all Sooners with 10. The game's box score sucks so I really have no idea how each player's rebounds breakdown on offense and defense, so I'm basing this fun on the SS.com recap.

Sherri, what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Coale postgame opening remark
    Well, first I just want to express appreciation for Southeastern for coming up and for the way they competed. They gave us a lot of problems with their dribble attack off ensively. We had a hard time staying in front of them and we did a poor job of rotating and recovering. They played really hard and competed.

We needed to be put in that situation. It was a little bit abnormal and something we don’t see in practice. I appreciate them and their eff ort and I am really proud of our guys’ effort. I thought everybody who played competed and played really hard. They did some really good things. There is plenty to work on but we did some really good things so I am pleased.
    Next game: 7 p.m. Friday vs Washington. TV is Sooner Sports TV so they might actually show it on Fox Sports Oklahoma/Southwest/Insert Regional Channel Here. Seriously, I've seen OU womens games on all regional channels before, even those east/great lakes areas. Tee hee.

Boomer...

PS: Yes, Sharane Campbell now is married to her longtime boyfriend Terance Olds. I know nothing about the guy, but with them the best.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Nice opening win vs. Washington. Great team effort. A deep team this year and no 'superstar' attitudes. Actually there never were on Sherri's teams.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Sherri 400; OU-Wash 90-80

I really have nothing bad to say about the Washington (Lady?) Huskies. When OU traveled up there for football a few years ago and bent Jake Locker's head around like a Pez dispenser (or an action figure, it was 180 degrees in some photos) those poor Husky fans were en route to an 0-12 season, but for some reason still showed up en masse and waved their hats for kickoffs and pretended like they were the team that could have been the 2000 National Champions*

*Trophy not included; you lost to Oregon, nyah nyah.

While not as big-time as Pokette's next foe (at #11 UNC on Tuesday, OUCH) the (Lady?) Huskies are legit Pac 12 competition and it's a good way to start the season. We're not ranked yet (No. 26 in AP poll released today) but we keep racking up wins they won't be able to ignore us forever.

Sooner statz:

Doubling up for double doubles: Sharane-Campbell-Olds-Is-Awesome and Kaylon "Kay Kay" Williams both got double double with 26 and and 23 and 10 respectively.

Assist to turnover plague: We spread it to UW! While we had an abysmal 15 to 17 assist-turnover ratio, UW had an utterly atrocious 10 to 20! Haha, it's contagious!

F***ing free throws: Maybe if I start cursing about it our curse will end on this? 19 for 37, compared to UW's 17 of 20. To quote Cartman, "**** ****ity **** **** ****."

1 for 10: That was our three-point shooting during the second half. It's a good thing U-Verse decided I wasn't subscribed to this channel, or things would have been thrown in my living room.

Sherri?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri in postgame
    I have a fabulous team. I love who they are and tonight I really loved how they played. You can tell they love each other, they have a ball, they told me I had to keep this on [400 crown], so I am going to look ridiculous but I am going to keep on it because they said I had to. They did what I said during the game so I’m going to do what they say now. I appreciate the recognition for the 400th win but I haven’t made a basket or gotten a rebound in 19 years. It’s the players doing it. I have a phenomenal staff. Jan Ross has been by my side for 19 years, for every single one of them. Lots of great coaches, lots of great players do that. I told our team in the locker room, the exclamation mark for me tonight is that we played the way I believe the game is supposed to be played. We played it with full out effort, we played it together, we helped each other, we shared the ball, we moved around as one, our behavior was championship in every way, shape, and form and that’s the most rewarding part of this to me. That’s the exclamation point of the night, the way we performed.
    Why yes, it WAS Sherri's 400th win! Would you like to see everything SS.com did for Sherri? Here you go.

Next game: Lamar at home, 7 p.m. Tuesday. TV is once again FCSC so I don't get it, but check here to see if you do.

Booommmerrrrrr...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I'll be watchin' it.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

OU 100, Lamar 73

During one of Billy Tubb's billy-on-commentary moments, he mentioned that when he coached Lamar that students would chant "we want tacos" as the team approached 100 points... it was a promotion or something. That was a few seasons ago, back when I could watch every game on Cox cable. NP switched us to U-Verse, so I didn't get to watch us beat Lamar, but w00t for us winning.

LaNesia Williams last off the bench: But first in team rebounding with 8. Also added 13 points, because when OU scored 100 everyone has to log a lot of points.

**** you, badger: After complaining last game about everything from assists/turnovers, threes and frees, OU responds with 35 percent (11 of 31) three shooting; 70 percent free throws (7 of 10) and an 28-to-15 assist to turnover ratio.

Sharane-Hyphenated-Name-Cuz-She's-Married-Now: Seems to have separated herself as the bona fide team leader this year only a few games in, yes. 16 points and 6 rebounds in 26 minutes.

Sherri?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Coale postgame
    “I was really pleased with the way we shared the ball. Twenty-eight assists is a number that I love. I was really not pleased with how many times they drove right past us to the rim. We didn’t do a great job containing the dribble at all. Our help in recovery was not as good as it was in the opening game. I think we lost our focus a bit. You have to give Lamar credit. They hit some tough shots and they played in a sort of atypical way. Our big was having to run around the perimeter and chase somebody and that extends the length of that help a little bit. They hit those early threes and we were little gun shy. Nobody wanted to leave and get into help. All of those at the end of the day are just excuses and we have to get better at that.”
    Next game: 7 p.m. Friday hosting Bradley. TV is... FCSC.

Boooommmerrrrrrr

PS: Yes, I'm gonna fire up the basketball meltdown thread soon, just not sure when. Surely UConn women cried after Stanford beat them. I should know, they've beaten us way too many times over the years

vCash

Y'know what I like about this part of the basketball season? This is the part where reality doesn't need to *quite* set in yet and the sky is the limit for your world beating team that is scoring 100+ and making all foes look inferior... and Baylor looks quite inferior right now from their basement view of the conference:

I do not believe that the 7 p.m. tonight game against Bradley televised by some channel I don't get on U-verse will cause reality to sink in... but for the time being, there are four Big 12 teams with a loss already and OU is not one of them.

Booooommmeerrrrr...

vCash

OU 104, Bradley 55

Well girls, I'm glad you got to watch the game at least. FCSC issues notwithstanding, we upped our 100-point game streak to two and beat some team that I think made the men's tournament at some point or some other random claim to fame. Make your own silly jokes, but our women are headed to the Virgin Islands next for a tournament where some tougher competition is expected.

Sooner statz:

Stacey Dales: She nearly helped us dethrone almighty UConn and I was happy to witness such a feat as a freshman in college. Even though she's had her issues with ESPN and hyphenated names since those glory days, it's good to see OU honoring her for her OU accomplishments. I think she also had a 4.0 GPA. Go Stacey!

F***ing free throws: 9 of 16 is nothing to brag about unless it's your three pointers made/attempted. Maybe we should start jump shooting them like that Wisconsin guy did last season?

Threethreethree3333treetrestrees: We improved our three from first to second half, about 36 percent up to 45 percent, making 9 of 22 overall.

Sharing the minutes: Only two players logged 20+ minutes and the most got 12+. Only exception was Whitney Ritchie with 6.

Sherri?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Coale postgame
    It’s a historic day for our program and for women’s athletics at the University of Oklahoma. It was just a tremendous ceremony tonight. I want to publicly thank Charlie Taylor and the marketing staff for everything they did to put together a first class ceremony and President [David] Boren and Joe Castiglione for being here to help recognize Stacey [Dales]. I thought that Stacey was the consummate point guard at the podium deflecting the praise and honor to her teammates, the administration and to me and anybody and everybody except herself. That’s what point guards do; they defer and set everybody else up. Even in the honor, she was what she was for four great years here. It was a big night. There was a lot of emotion. I’m really proud of our team because they reflected a great deal of maturity tonight by being able to focus on what they needed to do in the midst of all of the hoopla. I thought they played in such a way that every alumnus who has been through here can be proud. There was great joy on the court, great intensity, great passion and great unity. All of those things trademark our program and make us special so I couldn’t be more pleased with the outcome and everything that happened.
    Next game: 7:15 p.m. Thursday Paradise Jam Tournament vs South Florida, with games vs Kentucky and Illinois on Friday and Saturday. No TV or radio mentioned so I promise to limit FCSC griping for at least a week.

Booomerrrrr...

vCash

Nevermind.

Anyone thinking that one down season would be all OU needed to return to Final Four and Big 12 championship talk might as well listen to Mack Brown's whorncrap after the 5-7 season.

“There were some drastic changes that were made,” Brown said. “Those measures have improved a lot of areas going forward.”
    “Our fans know we’ll be back. When? I don’t know. I’m planning on it being next year. If it’s not, I’m not going to panic because I understand we took a dip.”
    Well, at least there's overtime...

Thursday: OU 68, South Florida 83
    Friday: OU 88, Kentucky 90 (OT)
    Saturday: OU 78, Illinois 76 (OT)

OU will be playing Sundays only the next few weeks, so please don't confuse me with a fairweather badger if I'm not giving updates

Boomer Sooner anyways!

vCash

OU 68, pUNT 39

I really have no idea which Sooner team will show up game to game, but perhaps the bigger question is which opponent are we facing and in this case, on Sunday, we traveled just south of our border to our perennial non-conference football cupcake. As the Nice (not Mean) Green are now 0-6, it appears we have found ourselves a womens basketball cupcake as well.

Sooner statz:
    40-16: That was the halftime score, so it could have been worse but it appeared that we tapped the brakes... or this...

31 turnovers: ****ity **** **** ****!!!!!! But the usual cause for cursing...

13 of 18: For free throws. That's not terrible, but not great I guess... not as bad as...

2 of 10: Second-half three point shooting. Haha, I bet it was painful to watch. 3 of 13 in first half. Uggggh.

There are no postgame quotes on SS.com so I'll just google for a Sherri Coale quote...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Coale
    "I think that Baylor is clearly and you guys gave me all kinds of grief for saying this during Big 12 play but clearly they are the second-best team in the league. They finished in second place and they separated themselves, is my point, from the guys that where behind them."
    HAHA! And quite timely! Texas is now ranked ahead of Baylor in this week's AP poll, where OU got a measly 3 votes. That's what we get for losing twice in the Virgin Islands tournament. Ah well.

Next game: 4 p.m. Sunday at Arky Little Rock. I don't think anyone's bothering to televise this.

Boomerrrrrrrrr

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

caught the last 10 minutes maybe, yes...Sherri expressions told it all...lol. It's good to frustrated with a 30 point lead.

Now, ku might be for real......haven't really looked but they just knocked off #10.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    Now, ku might be for real......haven't really looked but they just knocked off #10.
    KU has seemed to make a passable effort in recent years to try to make their womens bball team less mediocre, but not so much that they're willing to go out and hire a big name highly paid coach like UT tried a few years ago

KU is another reminder what happens to your college program if adidas gets ahold of your uniforms. Ugly womens basketball uniforms!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    KU has seemed to make a passable effort in recent years to try to make their womens bball team less mediocre, but not so much that they're willing to go out and hire a big name highly paid coach like UT tried a few years ago

KU is another reminder what happens to your college program if adidas gets ahold of your uniforms. Ugly womens basketball uniforms!
    Bonnie was pretty highly paid when KU brought her in and took her a long while to produce any results, which seem to be sporadic. She's been there 10 years and any where else would probably have been fired for the high salary and low results. She might make it now though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tycat947 View Post
    Bonnie was pretty highly paid when KU brought her in and took her a long while to produce any results, which seem to be sporadic. She's been there 10 years and any where else would probably have been fired for the high salary and low results. She might make it now though.
    the ONLY think ku cares about is men's bball...the rest can go in the toilet for all they care...or so it seems.
    Although their baseball field is pretty nice.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    the ONLY think ku cares about is men's bball...the rest can go in the toilet for all they care...or so it seems.
    Although their baseball field is pretty nice.
    They've been dumping a lot of money in football failures lately. That to me suggests that they want better non-MBB sports, they just don't know how to get there.

As tycat mentioned, they did about the same thing for WBB, but weren't as mediocre as football in that regard, so no firing after 2 seasons a la Charlie Weis/Turner Gill.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    They've been dumping a lot of money in football failures lately. That to me suggests that they want better non-MBB sports, they just don't know how to get there.

As tycat mentioned, they did about the same thing for WBB, but weren't as mediocre as football in that regard, so no firing after 2 seasons a la Charlie Weis/Turner Gill.
    The AD's at KU should be fired for hiring Weis/Gill! I can't think of any two worse coaches!