Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Sooner womens basketball thread 2014-15

The one (that was just as fat as Weis) that fired Mangino and hired Gill was gone before Weis. I am fairly certain that the AD responsible for both Bill Self and Mark Mangino hires is long gone. I am also fairly certain that fatso that fired Mangino was not the one that hired Self/Mangino, but did provide both contract extensions... I think

vCash

Little Rock: 66, OU: 62

Comeback? Oh no no no, the word we are looking for is "setback," because at 5-3, we really didn't need to drop this road game to UALR. When you're down 14 points at halftime, there is no coming back, even against what should be considered a lesser opponent, but at the place our program is now, we are not too good for UALR. We are not too good for South Florida or Kentucky or anyone else that doesn't have the success our coach has had since being hired that we will end up also losing to this year.

Sadly. This year is going to downhill fast. At least Oklahoma might get some snow and we could sled down the hill instead of fall. Wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Sooner statz:

Nicole has 20 points: Hooray Nicole Kornet. Shooting 4 for 7 for three will get you more points faster.

23 turnovers: Compared with 13 assists. I'm gonna be sick...

No postgame quotes at SS.com, so I'm going to be a jerk and google search an old Sherri quote again

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Coale at some point somewhere
    "I think that the best teams don't always just have the best players, but the players who play the best together."
    Next game: 5:30 p.m. Weds at Duke. God help us they're da debil!

Boomerrrrrrrrrrr...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

23 turnovers can kill any team's win chances.

I hope Sherri goes back to some team fundamentals.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

Hawaii's logic is as sound as aloha means hello and goodbye, but longtime OU WBB fans may note that turnovers is a staple of Sherri teams.

What usually saves us from derpy derp fundamental issues is the fact that we can score all of our problems away. Missed free throws? Hit a few more threes. Turnovers galore? Hit a few more threes. Turnovers and missed free throws? Good thing you have four players in double digits and two scoring 20+ (mostly from threes, yes) to cover for that.

Alas, we just didn't hit enough shots last night... and our shooting percentage didn't suck, so I guess this means we just didn't take enough shots... probably because we weren't holding onto the ball long enough

vCash

We're now on the other side of things... and it's the winning side so I guess I'll take it.

OU 71, #21 West Virginia 60

Yes, the Sooners were the unranked underdogs and we beat the ranked team. Rather than continue to pout (it's been weeks since I've posted on this thread and yes, I've been pouting) over another down year of my beloved Sooners WBB team... let us rejoice for what it is: A win we stole from a better team off stellar performances in front of a more loyal home crowd than we probably deserve (thank you, by the way).

Sooner statz:

Halftime lead: 34-32 but I'll take it. Much easier than coming out from a big halftime hole. We shot 5 of 13 (38 percent) from three during the first half, which probably helped a lot!

Gioya Carter: The woman of the hour (actually, 40 minutes) had a career high 24 points in 35 minutes, adding 8 rebounds and 3 assists as well.

11 of 20 or 13 of 20: While not the margin of victory nor defeat, that's what WVU and OU shot for free throws yesterday. WVU has the suckier stat. Haha Neers.

6 of 17 or 6 of 13: Once again, not a great stat on either side, but WVU was once again the suckier of the two sucky stat lines (for three pointers). Haha Neers.

18 or 21: Which abysmal turnover stat would you like your team to have? Neither??? Too bad, OU had the suckier stat for once, but it didn't cost us our victory. Nyah nyah Neers.

Sherri? Are we still on speaking terms?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri Coale postgame
    Every win in the Big 12 is a great win. You have to take care of your home floor and we did that today. I’m just proud of the poise that our players showed. You could tell that we played a very challenging pre-conference schedule because we didn’t come unwound, which we easily could have. We had a lot of guys step up and make plays at very timely junctions in the game. It was just a really good win and a good way to start conference play.
    WVU Coach Mike Carey, I know I just laughed several times at your team, but what say you?

Quote Originally Posted by WVU Coach Mike Carey postgame
    Give Oklahoma credit. They outhustled us to the ball. They play a lot of people and we just don’t play a lot of people. I told my players in there, I’d like to stand in here and yell, but I really can’t because when you’re playing 38 or 40 minutes it’s going to affect your shots and your defense. It’s going to affect everything. We have to do a better job getting some other players in there and a better job recruiting. It’s a shame. We lost five seniors, but we have people coming off the bench just not playing hard, and that makes Bria Holmes and Linda Stepney and Averee Fields play all those minutes. It’s not fair to them, but that’s the situation we’re in right now.
    Next game: OU travels to KU 7 p.m. Weds. The game will be "televised" by ESPN3 and something called "JTV."

Boomerrrrrrrrr

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

almost tempted to drive over...good win for Sherri and the team.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Carey did his best Mulkey imitation on the sidelines! Spittin', yelling (at officials AND his players) and basically ran thru the handshake line like there was no tomorrow! Classless!

vCash

You should never go full Mulkey.

vCash

Congrats to the women....4-0 beating #4 horns....tied for 1st with the bears.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

vCash

Nice. Very very nice.

vCash

What a turnaround. Impressive!

vCash

While it doesn't mean as much as it would on the men's side, the women also beat KU since my last rant.

I'm sorry I'm not giving my beloved Sooner team more love. It's sickly season in freezing Oklahoma and badger's household was not spared. I'll try to get something up later today because after last night, the girls deserve (a better fan than baj) it!

vCash

Yes, good win against the hawks as well.

At least 1 OU team is going up rather than down~

vCash

1. I will never doubt Sherri Coale and her Sooners ever again.
    2. I will never doubt Sherri Coale and her Sooners ever again.
    3. I will never doubt Sherri Coale and her Sooners ever again.
    4. I will stop copying and pasting the same sentence over and over and pretend that I'm writing punishment sentences.

Sadly, about the only other fanbase board out there that case when their team gets embarrassed is Baylor, so there will be no meltdown fun... this game. I look forward to beating Baylor many times this season, because why not. If we can beat Texas, then Skeletor and her minions are on notice. We might not be He-Man after one big win (two if you count WVU last week) but we can always be the He-Man-Baylor-Woman-Haters-Club

Sooner statz:

Maddie Manning is no longer injured: She's off the bench and scoring 14 points, including 12 off free throws. Wow, where has my free throw savior been these years (on injury reserve Jason White-ing her ACLs)

Peyton Little can tell the Aggies to go to hell: Because unlike those SEC traitors, we get to play our rival whorns over and over every year via Big 12 conference play, so go ahead and score 13 points and rebound 10 times for us instead of A&M. Aggroid only cares about it's middle-of-the-pack football team anyways

Gioya Carter you go girl: Because I largely credit scoring more points than Texas in our 70-59 victory, here's our third double-digit scorer, who logged 11 points in only 9 minutes.

They missed HOW many shots?! Oh so many. 35 shots (not free throws, but from the field) were made by both teams this game, but out of HOW many? 117 total, which gave UT an overall shooting percentage of 26.2 (compared with 34.6 for us). If shaggy cared about WBB, they would have been going through their usual f*** you list over and over. Here, let me do it for them: F*** you Mack Brown, F*** you Rick Barnes...

Stop fouling so much, please: Kay Kay Kaylon Williams and Gioya both fouled out. Sharane-Campbell-Olds-Married-Hyphenated-Name-Now had four...

If I ever beat Texas personally, I will also do the we-beat-Texas dance:

Sherri?

It was a really big win for our program for a number of reasons. Obviously, Texas is a very talented basketball team. A conference game on our home floor, we have to make sure we control our own destiny in that regard. I thought we just competed with great toughness tonight. That’s probably the thing I’m most proud of. I think we can play a lot better than we played. I don’t really think offensively that was one of our premier performances. Defensively, we made them uncomfortable, we fought on the boards, and we made toughness plays. We got 50/50 balls and we created some luck for ourselves and I just love the fact that everybody contributed. I love our bench and how involved they are regardless of who is in at what point in time. I’m just really proud of a young team. It looks like we’re really pulling together.
    Whorn coach Karen Aston, don't you agree that your poor shooting led you to scoring fewer points than OU?

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Aston postgame
    They did tonight. I thought we took some really ill advised shots. It’s rather frustrating because we would call some things and we would try to get the ball inside. You can’t take every open shot. I think Coach Conrad told me that a long time ago. I didn’t quite understand that at the time as an assistant, but you really can’t take every open shot. You have to move the ball and be more patient; especially if you have an advantage you have to take. We just didn’t do that today.
    Next game: 1 p.m. Saturday at TCU. There will be live audio but that's it. If I take hiatus this weekend (I will) the one after that is 3:30 p.m. Monday hosting Pokette. TV is FS1.

Boomerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

vCash

actually game was on Okla sports....the team looked good. They were up by 20 at one point in 2nd half. Good win. 5-0

vCash

I, too, found the game by accident on FSOK. The collegiate I wanna be a pro games were boring and the men's game was hours away... lo and behold, Fox Sports is showing TCU's kids-in-crowd-heavy broadcast from their equivalent of a high school gym.

Seriously, I'd be stretching if I were to say there were a dozen rows there... I think TCU is renovating their real basketball place so it wouldn't surprise me if the men end up in their intramural palace later this year as well.

OU 97, TCU 81
    There are so many ways I could speak lowly about the way this game went aside from the Class D broadcast in a Class F gym. Y'know, stuff like the baby sleeping behind TCU's first year coach; the way they showed the family texting together during a break in action when they weren't even trying to adverse a phone app... but there's a lesson in all of this:

Refs: Don't favor the home teams. You're actually hurting them.

Basically, TCU was allowed to get away with everything, and absolutely no fouls were called. However, TCU died and died (there was no life to be spoken of) by the three, so by the end of the game, they needed to foul us to stop the clock. Derrrrrrrppp whoopsies, the refs forgot to call fouls earlier in the half, so instead of sending us to the free throw line where baj will complain like she does every week about percentages... you're sending us to inbounds the ball instead!

So, ref favoritism bit TCU in their purple froggy arses. Tee hee.

Sooner statz:

Shooting spreeeeeeeee: We only shot 15 threes, but we made 9 of them. Most of our abuse was in the short range, because they just didn't know what to do on defense. We shoot on offense! Yes, froggy. After you shoot on offense, what do you do on defense? We shoot on offense! Le sigh. You are a WNIT team at best, frog.

Free throws are free: We shot an acceptable 18 for 22. Most of em came at the end of the game, so no box score whining froggy, even though you only had 5 for 8.

Kay Kay don't take no froggy crap: Seriously, nobody guarded her it seemed on either end. 25 points and 12 rebounds, including 5 on defense. Ribbit ribbit

Her name is Gioya Carter: Remember it later this season when you're wondering who will save us from almightly Baylor, annoying Pokette or nemesis Iowa State. 24 points, 5 assists and 2 steals.

Sherri, what say you about our post play?

That requires patience from everyone against the pressure. It's one thing to have somebody down there that has an advantage but getting to her is another thing entirely. A share of the credit goes to the guards who composed enough to get it to the post players who were able to do what they did today.
    TCU coach Raegan Pebley (yes, I had to look that one up), what say you about our superior Sooners?

Quote Originally Posted by Raaaaaaeeeegan
    It was a physical game the entire game. That's how OU plays and I feel we're pretty physical and up-tempo. In the end, their three-point shot we didn't defend that well enough throughout the game. They were definitely comfortable in the post. We got better defending that in the second half and forced more turnovers as well as taking away those post looks. We just didn't open up the game defending the three point line as well as we should have to make them uncomfortable in our gym.
    Next game: 3:30 p.m. today hosting Pokette. TV is FS1

Boooommerrrrrrr

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I, too, found the game by accident on FSOK. The collegiate I wanna be a pro games were boring and the men's game was hours away... lo and behold, Fox Sports is showing TCU's kids-in-crowd-heavy broadcast from their equivalent of a high school gym.

Seriously, I'd be stretching if I were to say there were a dozen rows there... I think TCU is renovating their real basketball place so it wouldn't surprise me if the men end up in their intramural palace later this year as well.

OU 97, TCU 81
    There are so many ways I could speak lowly about the way this game went aside from the Class D broadcast in a Class F gym. Y'know, stuff like the baby sleeping behind TCU's first year coach; the way they showed the family texting together during a break in action when they weren't even trying to adverse a phone app... but there's a lesson in all of this:

Refs: Don't favor the home teams. You're actually hurting them.

Basically, TCU was allowed to get away with everything, and absolutely no fouls were called. However, TCU died and died (there was no life to be spoken of) by the three, so by the end of the game, they needed to foul us to stop the clock. Derrrrrrrppp whoopsies, the refs forgot to call fouls earlier in the half, so instead of sending us to the free throw line where baj will complain like she does every week about percentages... you're sending us to inbounds the ball instead!

So, ref favoritism bit TCU in their purple froggy arses. Tee hee.

Sooner statz:

Shooting spreeeeeeeee: We only shot 15 threes, but we made 9 of them. Most of our abuse was in the short range, because they just didn't know what to do on defense. We shoot on offense! Yes, froggy. After you shoot on offense, what do you do on defense? We shoot on offense! Le sigh. You are a WNIT team at best, frog.

Free throws are free: We shot an acceptable 18 for 22. Most of em came at the end of the game, so no box score whining froggy, even though you only had 5 for 8.

Kay Kay don't take no froggy crap: Seriously, nobody guarded her it seemed on either end. 25 points and 12 rebounds, including 5 on defense. Ribbit ribbit

Her name is Gioya Carter: Remember it later this season when you're wondering who will save us from almightly Baylor, annoying Pokette or nemesis Iowa State. 24 points, 5 assists and 2 steals.

Sherri, what say you about our post play?

TCU coach Raegan Pebley (yes, I had to look that one up), what say you about our superior Sooners?

Next game: 3:30 p.m. today hosting Pokette. TV is FS1

Boooommerrrrrrr
    They had a total of 1,350 crammed into their crackerbox University Rec Center! Raegan Pebley was Raegan Scott and played at CU under Ceal Barry in old Big 8 days!

vCash

Whenever I inevitably retire from this OU WBB thing here I will defer to tycat. However, most recaps will probably include at least 20 mentions of Baylor and Kim Mulkey, even if they're referred to as "Hypocrite U" and "Skeletor" instead

Till then, here's an additional middle finger to the fanbase that got our mascot fired... http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage2/...a5a7aa715.html

Happy XXth birthday, Sherri Coale!
    I don't dare put in big, bold letters that she turned 50 on the day we defeated Pokette at home for the 17th straight time by a score of 73-54, but this is not the first time she's birthday'd it up on Bedl@m. I remember former OSU coach Goodenough (Kurt Budke's predecessor) gave her birthday balloons/flowers during pregame... and then we beat them by a wide margin. Goodenough was canned that offseason.

OU has a very lengthy and awesome history of defeating OSU. My favorite was during the 2001 Big 12 tournament when I was part of the WBB pep band. OSU won the right to face our No. 1 seeded selves in our opening game... and we crushed them by a wider and wider margin as the game went on. However, because it's supposed to be neutral, our bands had to split timeouts. So, we just go on a monster scoring run and extend our lead out to 30ish... and OSU's band is forced to play. While we have lost a few times since than (thanks to the late Kurt Budke and his top recruit Andrea Riley, may that orange blazer'd Cowboy 4 ever rest in peace), we won last night and it's worth repeating the score...
    OU 73, Pokette 54

Sooner statz:

Her name, once again, is Gioya Carter: 18 points! Did you learn her name yet?! If you haven't, at least recognize her face (she's pictured above)

Kay Kay and Peyton too: 16 and 13 points and 4 and 7 rebounds respectively. Our rebounding was actually very meh according to the scoreboard, but I attribute this mostly to making a lot of shots.

11 to 11: Assists to turnovers. If teams are to beat us, they must wait for us boneheadedly speed up and pass errantly and watch the ball go back to them via outta bounds or just having it land in their hands by accident. If we can keep turnovers down, beware rest-of-the-Big 12.

Sherri, was this a defensive effort?

Yeah, I thought the thing we did the best job of was limiting (Liz) Donohoe and (Brittney) Martin’s touches. They are both a handful to guard so what we tried to do was deny as much as possible and make the ball go somewhere else. It felt like they had very few catches, especially in the first half. Then, I think Maddie’s (Manning) length bothered Liz a little bit. I thought early in the second half Martin made a basket and I thought ‘Uh oh, here we go’, but then again we came back and denied her the opportunity to receive it and it kind of took them out of what they like to do.
    Jim Littell, would you like our fired mascot to dump popcorn on your head now, or later?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette coach postgame
    We’re obviously going through a difficult time here. We’re having some difficulties scoring the basketball. Give OU a lot of credit. They’re a team that has a lot of pieces to the puzzle. They’ve got a good post player that finishes well inside, has nice moves, they can kick it in there. They’ve got an assortment of shooters. They do a good job of playing transition basketball and obviously they’re hitting on all cylinders right now. So we just got to go back to work and realize that this conference is a marathon and not a sprint. There’s a lot of basketball games left. We have 12 games left. We have to get back on the practice floor and do better and find a way to score the basketball better. For the most part in the five games we’ve been pretty decent defensively, but some of our key people aren’t making shots right now and that makes it difficult on us to score the basketball.
    Next game: 3 p.m. Saturday hosting Tech. It may be televised, but they aren't listing anything on SS.com yet. Check Fox Sports the day of and you may be surprised.

Boomer!

vCash

yes, happy 50th...oh, and of course she looked good in her blue dress...pic?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Badger! Can't wait to see your standup routine! Are you making the casino rounds! YOU make this board! LMAO!