Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: I wish Heupel would apply for the SMU job...

The OC has the job that every fan wants (or think they want). It is the video game-ish control point. He who has possession of the console controls the game. What the fans don't want is to face the media and fans on Monday when their game plan/play calling doesn't pan out.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

I need to back track a bit..I don't think the defense is terrible..I just don't think they are as good as most people feel..It's a feast or famine defense. And they are still having to work out kinks that I at this point I figured were taken care of. Some of my opinion comes from what I see and part from listening to the radio broadcasts and hearing what Johnson, Dvoracek, and Lehman are saying.

And the inability to get off the field on 3rd down is not the mark of a bad offense, it's unsound defense..

Again, not saying they are terrible, but they just aren't what people seem to think they are.
    Bazinga

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    I need to back track a bit..I don't think the defense is terrible..I just don't think they are as good as most people feel..It's a feast or famine defense. And they are still having to work out kinks that I at this point I figured were taken care of. Some of my opinion comes from what I see and part from listening to the radio broadcasts and hearing what Johnson, Dvoracek, and Lehman are saying.

And the inability to get off the field on 3rd down is not the mark of a bad offense, it's unsound defense..

Again, not saying they are terrible, but they just aren't what people seem to think they are.
    I don't think anyone is saying they are great.

The problems are all mental/execution. None of it is talent, which is a big step up from issues we've seen in past years. The fact that they are mental/execution means they are all fixable. The question is whether or not that happens.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying they are great.

The problems are all mental/execution. None of it is talent, which is a big step up from issues we've seen in past years. The fact that they are mental/execution means they are all fixable. The question is whether or not that happens.
    Execution, execution, execution...kinda like location in real estate...you
    know the boys have been coached/taught and are good athletes, for some
    dayum reason, there are brain cramps/farts/checkouts and it bites us. Can
    the boys hit? Hellyeah! Can they run? Hellyeah! Can they tackle? Ummmm?
    Have seen a bunch of "run through arm tackles" kinda thing....

vCash

I'm kind of astonished we've been able to keep Phillip Montgomery.

vCash

Well said.

I was thinking about Kirby Smart today (the Alabama D-coordinator). A couple of years ago, he was universally (among fans) considered the best defensive coordinator in the game. He was consistently a rumored candidate anytime a head coaching job became available. Then...the 2013 Iron Bowl happened...followed by the 2013/14 Sugar Bowl. I remember reading comments from Bama fans about getting rid of Smart (or similar comments). All because Bama was on a two game losing streak (the first in years).

It's funny how the mob operates.
    How do you think there feeling now?
    Frustrated I tell ya.... haaha

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/nick...ess-conference
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownGP View Post
    Well said.

I was thinking about Kirby Smart today (the Alabama D-coordinator). A couple of years ago, he was universally (among fans) considered the best defensive coordinator in the game. He was consistently a rumored candidate anytime a head coaching job became available. Then...the 2013 Iron Bowl happened...followed by the 2013/14 Sugar Bowl. I remember reading comments from Bama fans about getting rid of Smart (or similar comments). All because Bama was on a two game losing streak (the first in years).

It's funny how the mob operates.
    How do you think there feeling now?
    Frustrated I tell ya.... haaha

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/nick...ess-conference
    Contrast Saban's whine fest with Stoops' radio show last night. Asked about criticism after beating Texas. He said "that's Oklahoma football, baby!"

Then the crowd erupted in cheers and applause.

He went on to say he'd rather be criticized after a win than praised after a loss.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer View Post
    Whether you like Heupel calling the plays or not, Heupel applying and accepting the SMU job is a "no" winner. It will take years to turn the ponies around. SMU is overshadowed by TCU locally, OU and OSU up north, and Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M down south.
    I could care less what SMU does. IF Heupel went down there and went 0-50, I'd be fine with it. I don't care about SMU or Heupel. I'm not an SMU season ticket holder. And, I'm not a Josh Heupel season ticket holder.

I've held season tickets before he ever played a down of college football for us, and I'll be a season ticket holder long after he's gone. SMU and whether Heupel could win there is the furthest thing from my mind.

What I'm not fine with is Perine not getting significant carries until the fourth quarter, and being treated like he's just another back on the roster.

What I'm not fine with is Knight not being able to hit more than 55% of his passes after being here for three years, and not having anyone else to turn to until next spring.

Heupel is the co-offensive coordinator and QB coach. We do this dance every year: We're fine, we're fine, we're fine. Look, we're doing so well. Then...two, three losses later, it's yet another year without challenging for the national title.

And, now, the conference titles are not coming in like before. We're always behind, chasing, hoping this team or that team loses instead of being in control of our own destiny.

(And, that's completely fine if we want to be like Texas Tech...just happy to be included with the big boys because of Texas politics in 1994, and satisfied with mere bowl appearances in any old bowl. But, my assumption is, we aim higher than the slobber droolers in Lubbock.)

If Kansas State beats us this weekend, it's hello battle for the Cotton Bowl or Alamo Bowl. Disgusting. With as many defensive starters as we had returning from last year, this shouldn't be acceptable. And, I think the main culprit is our offense not being able to hold the ball for enough sustained drives to keep our defense from having their as*ses worn out.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Freebie: I'm also not sold on these two new position coaches yet - the OL or DL coach, Bedenbaugh and Montgomery. I don't see them as a step up or even a lateral step from what we had before. Not on the field, and not in recruiting.

Poaching half-as*sed coaches from failing Michigan and average to the nth degree West Virginia. WTF?
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer View Post
    Whether you like Heupel calling the plays or not, Heupel applying and accepting the SMU job is a "no" winner. It will take years to turn the ponies around. SMU is overshadowed by TCU locally, OU and OSU up north, and Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M down south.
    Who gives a flying f**k about SMU? Heupel taking the SMU job would be great for OU!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner Benchwarmer Sooner Schemer's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    It was the right game plan for Bama. Not saying that it applies to every game we ever play, but it was a breath of fresh air. We moved TK in the pocket. We ran him. And of course, he made big plays when he had to. We also ran some very odd offensive formations, the likes of which I hadn't seen since Heupel was taking snaps.
    Keep in mind that both Josh and Trevor had much more time to prepare for the Sugar Bowl than they do for a regular-season game. It may be that we're trying to change too much from week to week.

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Well, again, the defense is less than average, but special teams kills.
    Bazinga

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

At the beginning of I was told OU would average 39 points a game and be 5-2 I wouldn't be blaming the offense.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Well, again, the defense is less than average, but special teams kills.
    As bad as we messed up and blew all our times out, I don't think it would have made a difference. I think KSU would just have gotten another first down anyway. Sad.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie91 View Post
    At the beginning of I was told OU would average 39 points a game and be 5-2 I wouldn't be blaming the offense.
    That's because you're apparently sane. Defense started the season like a lion, and is on its way to ending it like a lamb.