Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    For the life of me I can't understand why no one seems upset that our defense is terrible.
    This is purely speculation on my part but I think the reason people don't think they are terrible is because they aren't.
    Sure fooled me the last two weeks.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Re: I wish Heupel would apply for the SMU job...

I dont want ANYONE fired or to take another job.

I want The whole dayum bunch to Dig in and remember the fire they had in their eyes and Guts they had when Coach Stoops 1st took over.

I would HATE to have to start over again
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    I dont want ANYONE fired or to take another job.

I want The whole dayum bunch to Dig in and remember the fire they had in their eyes and Guts they had when Coach Stoops 1st took over.

I would HATE to have to start over again
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

However, at some point Heupel will need to "season" himself before he can
    run the OU program....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Without the defense scoring a touchdown last week we would now be 4-2. As of now we have the number 42 ranked defense (21.5 points allowed) in the country while we have to this point played the 12th toughest schedule (per Sagarin). So this isn't a terrible defense. As a matter of fact the numbers suggest an above average defense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

This is purely speculation on my part but I think the reason people don't think they are terrible is because they aren't.
    I think that's some pretty solid speculation.

vCash
    Without the defense scoring a touchdown last week we would now be 4-2. As of now we have the number 42 ranked defense (21.5 points allowed) in the country while we have to this point played the 12th toughest schedule (per Sagarin). So this isn't a terrible defense. As a matter of fact the numbers suggest an above average defense.
    Texas has a terrible offense and a very good defense.

TCU has an ok offense and a very good defense.

I can kind of excuse our offense the last two weeks due to the level of competition but it is hard to excuse a defense that constantly allows long 3rd down conversions to average and mediocre offenses.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I can kind of excuse our offense the last two weeks due to the level of competition but it is hard to excuse a defense that constantly allows long 3rd down conversions to average and mediocre offenses.
    I wouldn't have a problem with the offense performing poorly if I didn't know what was coming on every play. It's one thing to call a good gameplan and have the defense just have your number. It's another to have a crappy gameplan and get stymied because of it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 OUmillenium's Avatar
    vCash

I think we feel frustrated when, as fans, we have a general understanding of OU's strengths/weaknesses on offense and defense as well as the opponents strengths/weaknesses but the coaching staff has other ideas that...
    1.don't seem to attempt to exploit what we see
    2.fail repeatedly
    3.then tend to blame said failures on the players
    Here lies Lester Moor
    4 slugs from a .44
    No Lester no more

That's no moon...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

How can we have a terrible defense and Texas have "a very good defense" when we are giving up almost exactly the same amount of points per game (21.3 vs 21.5)?

How can TCU have "an OK offense and a very good defense" when they are the number 3 team in the county in scoring and number 52 in defense (23 points allowed) ? It looks like TCU has an excellent offense and an average to a little better than average defense.

Whether you like Heupel calling the plays or not, Heupel applying and accepting the SMU job is a "no" winner. It will take years to turn the ponies around. SMU is overshadowed by TCU locally, OU and OSU up north, and Baylor, Texas, and Texas A&M down south.

vCash

I guess you didn't what TCU did too Baylor? Baylor I though had a better D than us..
    That game made us look VERY good.

And without TKs pick 6 in the TCU game. We would have won....We can play this game all day..lol
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonerboomer View Post
    Whether you like Heupel calling the plays or not, Heupel applying and accepting the SMU job is a "no" winner. It will take years to turn the ponies around.
    It's already taken years and I have doubts that it can ever be done. June Jones may have been their last best hope...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

When your offense has 1 first down in the first half... I expect the defense to be on the field for more plays. This results in more yards, more points and more mental busts. Not saying they were good, just that they were better than they were BM(before Mike). Defense didn't play as well as they had the first 4 weeks of the year and had way to many mental busts, they just make a lot less than BM.

As far as the offense against Bama, it helps when Trevor hits throws and receivers catch the ball. If he makes a good throw to shephard on 2nd down and doesn't skip it, if Young catches the ball on 3rd, if Trevor doesn't overthrow Shephard over the middle, then our offense stays on the field and we look a whole lot better.

Against Bama he was making these plays and you had receivers coming up with spectacular catches. Cant remember the receiver over the middle against bama on a huge 3rd (number 12 I think), and you had Saunders make the spectacular catch in the endzone.

If we make a few plays and convert the easy ones, it makes Josh look a lot better.
    OUI Refugee! Seeing all the good people beat me here. Formerly OUJARVIS on OUI.

It's hard to excuse an offense that constantly fails on 3rd down conversions and refuses to change up the run game, giving the defense absolutely no help all game. Our offense is absolutely INEXCUSABLE. Our defense is above average besides horrendous safety play

Administrator
    vCash

For the life of me I can't understand why no one seems upset that our defense is terrible.
    Maybe because they're not?

The defense is fine. The past two weeks we made some very uncharacteristic mistakes. That wasn't showing up the first few games of the season, and has a lot to do with inexperience at safety.

There's also the issue with the defense being on the field so long. Against Texas, we put the defense on the field for almost 40 of the 60 minutes. That's entirely too long, and you're not going to win many games like that.

This defense is good enough to win the conference, and possibly a title. However, the coaches/players must correct some mental issues and the offense must keep them off the field so much.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I think the Defense can be great again if only the OFFENSE would help!! Countless three and outs after long Texas drives had them gassed. Heck, Texas started off with a long drive that took up almost half the first quarter. They hold them to a field goal, and then (not complaining), but a kickoff return, and the Defense was back out there. Too many three and out's and the Defense never gets a break. I think we all have witnessed that before.
    "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty."
    - President John F. Kennedy

vCash

How can we have a terrible defense and Texas have "a very good defense" when we are giving up almost exactly the same amount of points per game (21.3 vs 21.5)?

How can TCU have "an OK offense and a very good defense" when they are the number 3 team in the county in scoring and number 52 in defense (23 points allowed) ? It looks like TCU has an excellent offense and an average to a little better than average defense.
    TCU's numbers are kind of jacked up after the last Baylor game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnnamedSooner View Post
    Kevin Wilson had one of the highest scoring offenses of all time and people couldn't wait to show him the door.
    I don't think you understand. The guy behind me had a daughter who could predict every play that Wilson ran. He also knew that a call was bad as soon as it blew up. He just happened to know that it was going to blow up ahead of time.

;-)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    It was the right game plan for Bama. Not saying that it applies to every game we ever play, but it was a breath of fresh air. We moved TK in the pocket. We ran him. And of course, he made big plays when he had to. We also ran some very odd offensive formations, the likes of which I hadn't seen since Heupel was taking snaps.
    But had TK thrown a bunch of interceptions everyone would have been crucifying Heupel. You can't possibly argue that that wouldn't have been the case.

It's another example of pointing to the results and using that to praise or criticize the game plan.

I happen to think that it was a good plan because it was our only chance to be competitive. We were lucky it worked out but we had to take that chance.

When you're favored you don't have that luxury. It would be stupid to completely mix up the game plan when you are the better team.

It is true that the college football game is a chess match. No coach wins the chess match 100% of the time. That is simply an impossibility. Some may win games almost 100% of the time but that's because they have superior athletes.

Just look at LSU and Alabama when they played for the national title. Saban didn't have the greatest game plan on the first game. It was way too conservative. He got outcoached in the game. He turned around and opened the offense up and the second game was a completely different story. Great job by Saban but he was lucky to have another shot at it.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    But had TK thrown a bunch of interceptions everyone would have been crucifying Heupel. You can't possibly argue that that wouldn't have been the case.

It's another example of pointing to the results and using that to praise or criticize the game plan.

I happen to think that it was a good plan because it was our only chance to be competitive. We were lucky it worked out but we had to take that chance.

When you're favored you don't have that luxury. It would be stupid to completely mix up the game plan when you are the better team.

It is true that the college football game is a chess match. No coach wins the chess match 100% of the time. That is simply an impossibility. Some may win games almost 100% of the time but that's because they have superior athletes.

Just look at LSU and Alabama when they played for the national title. Saban didn't have the greatest game plan on the first game. It was way too conservative. He got outcoached in the game. He turned around and opened the offense up and the second game was a completely different story. Great job by Saban but he was lucky to have another shot at it.
    Well said.

I was thinking about Kirby Smart today (the Alabama D-coordinator). A couple of years ago, he was universally (among fans) considered the best defensive coordinator in the game. He was consistently a rumored candidate anytime a head coaching job became available. Then...the 2013 Iron Bowl happened...followed by the 2013/14 Sugar Bowl. I remember reading comments from Bama fans about getting rid of Smart (or similar comments). All because Bama was on a two game losing streak (the first in years).

It's funny how the mob operates.