Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

I wish Heupel would apply for the SMU job...

...and get it because Stoops ain't even gonna fire him.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    I thot he was waiting for HCBS to retire?
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I wish Heupel would apply for the SMU job...

If you want Norvell to be OC then go ahead and wish that.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 AzianSooner's Avatar
    vCash

your wishes will be extended to the next OC, and the next OC after that, and the next one after that.

You might just don't know what you wish for.... so be careful.

I remember we fan want to hang Mangino, Chuck Long, Wilson... and a few more...... We human just want to hang Jesus... so no surprise there.

I hope things will change dramatically for OU. So far, I recognize why OU has been pushed for a better WR corp by inact the WR from Mizzou transfer. They knew!!!

vCash

Some people are just idiots.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Some people are just idiots.
    This is true, but it doesn't include people that want Heupel gone.

I was someone that wanted Kevin Wilson's fat a** to hit the road, and Heupel to get the job.

I'm still glad Kevin Wilson's fat a** is gone, but Heupel wasn't and isn't the answer.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

are the other receivers just that bad?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I'm not fond of Heupel, but in all of Stoops' years, I think we've spent about 2 years not complaining about the OC's.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I'm not fond of Heupel, but in all of Stoops' years, I think we've spent about 2 years not complaining about the OC's.
    So, Bob's the problem?

Hell, I'm good with that! I don't know if he's the problem or not, but he's not exactly looking like the solution.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yep, and one of them was his first year in 1999.

I've been very patient with Josh. He was trying to toughen us up in the trenches and do some stuff with a power running game that I appreciated. And now the pieces are in place and we're back to running Kevin Wilson finesse sets and limiting our QB's options. I was so stoked after the Alabama game last year thinking that we had finally turned a corner and he was gonna change the offense toward that (note that the offense against Bama was completely different from anything Josh had done before). But nope. It was back to the drawing board this year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I didn't see how the Bama game was so different. It certainly wasn't a power running approach - did we get 100 yards? It wasn't TK doing the option read. It was TK dropping back in the pocket and hitting WRs when they got open. We didn't get a bunch of yards on the ground, but we got some critical ones due to pure force of will from Clay. We did stretch the field more than usual and TK hit them perfectly. I think the biggest key to success was that Bama was expecting a run first game plan with TK using the zone read a lot, but we crossed them up by turning TK loose with his *arm*. That and execution.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Yep, and one of them was his first year in 1999.

I've been very patient with Josh. He was trying to toughen us up in the trenches and do some stuff with a power running game that I appreciated. And now the pieces are in place and we're back to running Kevin Wilson finesse sets and limiting our QB's options. I was so stoked after the Alabama game last year thinking that we had finally turned a corner and he was gonna change the offense toward that (note that the offense against Bama was completely different from anything Josh had done before). But nope. It was back to the drawing board this year.
    we went 7-5 in '99, about like Tech did most years under Leach. i think the only reason we were happy was that 2000 hadn't happened yet, and we hadn't finished above .500 in quite a while.

not to say the transition wasn't needed, or that Leach didn't have a positive effect on our offense, but he kept the defense on the field a lot...

OC's have a short shelf life with the fans here

Mangino only took a year after winning #7 to become a donkey everyone was happy to see go to Kansas after Josh left.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

I think there's a disconnect between the fans and the coaches regarding what's happening on the field. The coaches typically blame execution and the fans typically blame the game plan (and thus the OC/DC). The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. The thing that really rubs the fans the wrong way is the assumption that the game plan was pristine but was blown up by the players. This is tough to swallow when you look at certain games (like last year's Texas game) where it is so obvious the game plan was a complete turd. e.g. "We're not going to commit to the run against one of the worst run defenses in the nation because that's just what they'd expect us to do".

vCash
    For the life of me I can't understand why no one seems upset that our defense is terrible.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash
    Kevin Wilson had one of the highest scoring offenses of all time and people couldn't wait to show him the door.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnnamedSooner View Post
    Kevin Wilson had one of the highest scoring offenses of all time and people couldn't wait to show him the door.
    OU fans by and large are idiots.

That should be evident by now.
    Posted from iOS app

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    For the life of me I can't understand why no one seems upset that our defense is terrible.
    Because everyone who ached for Mike Stoops to come back does not want to go there.

Not saying it's his fault, but it's the nature of people..A coach you like gets a pass.
    Bazinga

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I didn't see how the Bama game was so different. It certainly wasn't a power running approach - did we get 100 yards? It wasn't TK doing the option read. It was TK dropping back in the pocket and hitting WRs when they got open. We didn't get a bunch of yards on the ground, but we got some critical ones due to pure force of will from Clay. We did stretch the field more than usual and TK hit them perfectly. I think the biggest key to success was that Bama was expecting a run first game plan with TK using the zone read a lot, but we crossed them up by turning TK loose with his *arm*. That and execution.
    It was the right game plan for Bama. Not saying that it applies to every game we ever play, but it was a breath of fresh air. We moved TK in the pocket. We ran him. And of course, he made big plays when he had to. We also ran some very odd offensive formations, the likes of which I hadn't seen since Heupel was taking snaps.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    Because everyone who ached for Mike Stoops to come back does not want to go there.

Not saying it's his fault, but it's the nature of people..A coach you like gets a pass.
    We also know that Mike isn't going anywhere and that the D has still improved leaps and bounds from where it was under Venables. Still, we are seeing the same lapses in the secondary that we saw in the tail end of Mike's first go-round at OU. I'm not seeing systemic problems like we had under Venables, though.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    This is purely speculation on my part but I think the reason people don't think they are terrible is because they aren't.