Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: So what do we know about this team?

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Part of it is that when you have big OL you have to give them time to get going. The read option puts a natural delay into the running game that allows stuff to develop. .
    Yea, like the DE to crash on the RB and the LBs and Ss to fill gaps. Seems there have been a lot of really good running teams, with really good OLs that did not need to delay a handoff every time they ran.
    Quote Originally Posted by XingTheRubicon View Post
    Betting on OSU to embrace prosperity is like waiting at a liquor store to meet a hooker that's returning your watch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Since71ASooner4Life View Post
    and that is what gives me a glimmer of optimism (along with playing them at home). If you can step thru the insanity to believing it a possibility that we right the offensive ship, we are in control of our own destiny - at least in terms of conference championship. Beat Baylor and OSU, and we'll be given the nod as conference representative in the same 3-way cluster like we had in 2008, with our head to head loss coming earlier in the season, and the wins coming later. Win out and we've got a shot - lets hope we're ranked high enough and conference champions. There will be losses hung on several of the teams ranked above us - starting next week.
    We need more than winning out.
    SECeders (at least one) +
    FSU or Notre Dame +
    Oregon +
    Michigan St =
    four slots
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    What I do not understand what so ever, something I cannot wrap my head around, why in the world on EVERY running play, do we run the read-option without the read? What the hell is the point in that?? Calling that play doesn't work unless you let the QB actually make the read which the coaches aren't letting Knight do.
    I would love for somebody with time on their hand to go back to every game so far this year and find out how many times TK has actually kept the ball and run with it. I would be surprised if you can count them on one hand. I am positive you won't need more than two hands. And yet that play is run at least twice every time we have an offensive series, not counting the Texas game since we'd only run about 3 plays per series. It's usually at least once every 3 sets of downs.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

That just must be the way they practice the handoff since TK has obviously been told to not keep it. So just a mechanics thing. I would love to see him keep it and then throw that little out pass like other spread teams do. I'd rather see that than TK running it.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    I would love for somebody with time on their hand to go back to every game so far this year and find out how many times TK has actually kept the ball and run with it. I would be surprised if you can count them on one hand. I am positive you won't need more than two hands. And yet that play is run at least twice every time we have an offensive series, not counting the Texas game since we'd only run about 3 plays per series. It's usually at least once every 3 sets of downs.
    I'm actually working on something similar. I'm about half way through the Tennessee game.

Not sure when I'll finish, but I'd like to have it done before this weeks game. If I were a single guy, without kids (or friends ), I'd have a running spreadsheet, and it'd be done (through the Texas game)...but, since I can't devote my life to Sooner football (as much as I'd like to), it'll take a little longer.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Honest question: would our team be better or worse if the coaching staff were ordered to stay away? Would the team be better if they just drew up their own plays and called them themselves a la pick up games?
    I am so tired of watching the meercat routine prior to each offensive play and the fire drill prior to each defensive play that I could scream.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Big Pimpin' stoops the eternal pimp's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    From what Merv Johnson is saying in broadcasts, there is not an option for Knight to keep on those plays that look like a zone read...That they are called handoffs from the sidelines.
    Bazinga

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stoops the eternal pimp View Post
    From what Merv Johnson is saying in broadcasts, there is not an option for Knight to keep on those plays that look like a zone read...That they are called handoffs from the sidelines.
    I don't get how people don't understand this after 6 games.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I don't get how people don't understand this after 6 games.
    I think a lot of us get it but wonder why if these are going to be straight up handoffs why we aren't just loading up in a diamond or some other power running formation. At this point taking a WR off the field doesn't seem to have much of a downside especially when Ford returns.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

So the punter put the ball inside the 5 yard line 3 times because Alabama didn't want to be there? I know you hate this team, but there are things that you can't blame on the other team.
    What in the hell are you talking about? We spend thousands of dollars every season as season ticket holders supporting this team and traveling to see them play. What I hate is misuse of the personnel.

What I also hate is being so stuck to one player, like Trevor Knight. It never makes sense to me that a school like ours only has one guy ready to go at quarterback. You can throw any like school into the conversation as well - Texas, Alabama, Michigan, USC. It never makes sense to me that you don't have back-ups you can go to if the number one guy isn't getting it done.

We get - and Texas gets, and Alabama gets, and USC gets, etc. - whomever we want in recruiting. So, there is no reason - other than multiple injuries - to be stuck with just relying on one guy, who isn't getting it done well.

When Jason White was injured, Nate Hybl was there and stepped in, getting two bowl wins, and a conference title. Landry Jones stepped in fro Sam Bradford, and although he didn't win a conference title that year, he did help snap of streak of losing bowl games.

It's irritating to watch Knight. He doesn't have a quick release. If he has to be in the run game - as with TCU - we see he gets gimpy. And, it wasn't the first time he was injured running. There were times last year as well. He's not like Nate Hybl, whom you could hit with a truck and he'd get up.

Plus, there was the cramping issue when he runs, the baloney we were given after putrid TCU beat us. What the hell good is a "running quarterback" who can't take hits and cramps up if it's more than 70 degrees outside and he has to run the ball more than five or six times?
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Be realistic. If the offensive "brain" trust of this team has to call too conservatively because our "running quarterback" can't be hit hard and gets cramped, and can't throw the ball with touch or release quickly enough to hit the mark on many plays, what do you think opposing defenses will do?

They now have ample evidence that the Alabama Sugar Bowl game is probably not what they will get when they play us. In fact, I'd say that most of our remaining opponents will stack the line and dare us to try to beat them with Trevor's arm...and, that's not good odds.

Take away the kickoff return and Sanchez's interception return Saturday, and you have about what we can expect for the rest of the season from our offense.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    I think a lot of us get it but wonder why if these are going to be straight up handoffs why we aren't just loading up in a diamond or some other power running formation. At this point taking a WR off the field doesn't seem to have much of a downside especially when Ford returns.
    Oh, I don't understand the reasoning behind it either, I just know that it's the way the coaches have decided to play it. So many of the posts are worded like TK is making mistakes in the read or the don't get why he never keeps it. Stoops has so much as said he is protect the QB position.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    What I also hate is being so stuck to one player, like Trevor Knight. It never makes sense to me that a school like ours only has one guy ready to go at quarterback. You can throw any like school into the conversation as well - Texas, Alabama, Michigan, USC. It never makes sense to me that you don't have back-ups you can go to if the number one guy isn't getting it done.
    You are going to have to take that one up with the NCAA. They are the ones that are continually limiting practice time. You can't even compare today to the example you provided (Hybl/White in 2001 and 2002) because they've cut practice time by 30% since then. Every coach will tell you that QBs take the longest time to develop (between 1 to 3 years of major reps). Pretty much every QB that starts their first game is a 1 read guy. By their second year you are hoping for 2 reads (some never develop that).

The problem is that if the NCAA did give more QB practice time with the coaches, the reality is that 99% of the coaches would give those reps to the starter, not the backup.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    It cuts both ways. It is actually easier to run out of the spread than a power formation if your linemen can block 1 on 1. There is so much space that it is much easier to find creases that get you 8-10 yards. Where power running is more effective is when you have OL that are physically dominating at the point of attack. They create bubbles in the D that inhibit pursuit allowing for really long gains if you get past the LOS. Our problem is that we don't really do either of those well until late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Oh, I don't understand the reasoning behind it either, I just know that it's the way the coaches have decided to play it. So many of the posts are worded like TK is making mistakes in the read or the don't get why he never keeps it. Stoops has so much as said he is protect the QB position.
    Yea that's the point I was making. It is baffling that we run a read option style handoff without letting Trevor read it practically every play. Hell they ran a play on Saturday from under center but it was a pass. Makes no sense that they can't mix in running it out of the diamond or a power formation like SoonerorLater stated. We have a big o-line and Ripkowski and flowers are beast for f**ks sake

It cuts both ways. It is actually easier to run out of the spread than a power formation if your linemen can block 1 on 1. There is so much space that it is much easier to find creases that get you 8-10 yards. Where power running is more effective is when you have OL that are physically dominating at the point of attack. They create bubbles in the D that inhibit pursuit allowing for really long gains if you get past the LOS. Our problem is that we don't really do either of those well until late in the game.
    True but that doesn't mean we shouldn't run it sometimes instead of running the same simplistic run game

vCash

You are going to have to take that one up with the NCAA. They are the ones that are continually limiting practice time. You can't even compare today to the example you provided (Hybl/White in 2001 and 2002) because they've cut practice time by 30% since then. Every coach will tell you that QBs take the longest time to develop (between 1 to 3 years of major reps). Pretty much every QB that starts their first game is a 1 read guy. By their second year you are hoping for 2 reads (some never develop that).

The problem is that if the NCAA did give more QB practice time with the coaches, the reality is that 99% of the coaches would give those reps to the starter, not the backup.
    I buy that, to some degree. But, it doesn't bother you even a little, this Knight-hype we got after the Sugar Bowl? I never bought into it because that game was completely unlike every other game I'd seen him play. I have yet to see Alabama Trevor in 2014.

To me, you look at the whole picture of a player, not just one game. Otherwise, we'd be talking about Freddie Sims in the same breath as Billy Sims just because he ran for 181 yards in the second half of the 1981 Sun Bowl.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PalmBeachSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I'd really like to see the FB and TE more involved in the offense. It really seemed to work in our TD drive in the 2nd half.
    It seems like the 95% of the offense is Perine and Shepard. It's not difficult for a defense to prepare for that.

I'm more concerned with our defense to be honest. They have put as much pressure on our offense as the opposing defense.

vCash

Here's what I think happened:

(1) Bell panicked after Knight's Sugar Bowl performance, talked to his NFL-alum dad and uncle, who likely advised him a move to TE would, at that point, be the best move for him if he was going to have an outside shot at the NFL.

(2) Bell goes to the coaches with the switch plan. The coaches agree, probably relived somewhat, because it would take away the second guessing about who should be the starting QB, Bell or Knight, should Knight falter. Plus, it would take away much of the pressure from Knight about having a former starter looking over his shoulder every game.

(3) All of this seemed like a win-win...until TCU and Texas exposed Knight as pretty much what he was last year except against Alabama.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    I buy that, to some degree. But, it doesn't bother you even a little, this Knight-hype we got after the Sugar Bowl? I never bought into it because that game was completely unlike every other game I'd seen him play. I have yet to see Alabama Trevor in 2014.

To me, you look at the whole picture of a player, not just one game. Otherwise, we'd be talking about Freddie Sims in the same breath as Billy Sims just because he ran for 181 yards in the second half of the 1981 Sun Bowl.
    As I've said since the spring on the Sugar Bowl, we knew that Knight could throw those sideline routes as he'd done it to some degree for the entire year. What we didn't know was whether he could throw the routes over the middle OR if he could throw it back shoulder on the sideline. With his accuracy on the fade, being able to throw either one of those passes would make him pretty much unstoppable. One would open up the entire field and the other would make every deep route an option route basically doubling the number of receivers in patterns for the defense. In the spring, he didn't demonstrate that he could do either, ironically the only QB who did was Baker Mayfield who threw 3-4 back shoulder throws for some big gains. Another poster said one of the younger kids was nailing the slant, but I haven't went back to look to see.

The problem is that it is really hard to stop a QB who can only throw over the middle (see Bradford, Sam). It is also really hard to stop a QB who can spray it all over the field (see White, Jason). It is fairly easy to stop someone who can throw only on the sidelines UNLESS you can add the back shoulder throw. And that is where we are, a QB who might add that throw next year, but for this year just doesn't get it.