Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash

Re: So what do we know about this team?

I could've sworn Knight played great against Kansas State last year.

Guess not.

All you geniuses have it figured out.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

To me, Trevor was more of a threat when he was coming off the bench and opposing defenses didn't know what to expect. They knew he'd be more of a threat to run that Bell. Although Bell had proven he could run, the 2013 offense certainly wasn't geared to take advantage of that.

Now, Trevor is the man starting. Opponents know there is no one to fear behind him. They see his release isn't quick. To compound problems, they see that no one other than Shepherd has developed into a consistent receiving threat.

And, I think maybe, as you mentioned before, the "NFL-sized" offensive line is just that, "NFL-sized" but not necessarily "NFL talented." Granted TCU's Patterson and Texas' Strong are about the best in the business when it comes to preparing defenses, and we played them back-to-back.

You just kind of hope a fire gets lit under someone's as*s for the second half of the season to remedy what looks like a faltering offense. It could be anyone - Knight, receivers not named Shepherd, the "NFL-sized" linemen.

K-State will be K-State this weekend. Nothing mysterious: the will run the ball they will sell out to stop the run...and, Grandpa Snyder's bag of tricks.

It'll be interesting to see whether we can get in a groove offensively. A four quarter slugfest with Grandpa Synder's stubborn set, I fear, wouldn't be a great scenario for the fragile Knight. I think we need to jump on them early, like the 2001 game. Jump on them enough to stay in front in what will be a an old style Big 8 barefist battle or powers.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    It is fairly easy to stop someone who can throw only on the sidelines UNLESS you can add the back shoulder throw.
    Okay, now you've hit on one I don't understand. The back shoulder throw is a staple in the NFL, but I also see it used extensively in many CFB passing attacks. I don't recall OU ever using it much. I don't see any attempts at using it with TK that we could claim were just inaccurate. Now you say that Mayfield showed a few of those in the Spring game? Was it in the game plan or did he just bring it with him from Tech and ad-lib? With defenses going to press coverage on us and daring us to pass, it screams out for at least trying this.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

And that is where we are, a QB who might add that throw next year, but for this year just doesn't get it.
    Well maybe but is that a very real possibility? TK has started what, about 10 games now? After 10 starts I can't think of any QB we have ever had that the perception of them has changed dramatically after we have had the benefit of seeing them for 10 starts, both good, bad and in-between.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    What in the hell are you talking about? We spend thousands of dollars every season as season ticket holders supporting this team and traveling to see them play. What I hate is misuse of the personnel.

What I also hate is being so stuck to one player, like Trevor Knight. It never makes sense to me that a school like ours only has one guy ready to go at quarterback. You can throw any like school into the conversation as well - Texas, Alabama, Michigan, USC. It never makes sense to me that you don't have back-ups you can go to if the number one guy isn't getting it done.

We get - and Texas gets, and Alabama gets, and USC gets, etc. - whomever we want in recruiting. So, there is no reason - other than multiple injuries - to be stuck with just relying on one guy, who isn't getting it done well.

When Jason White was injured, Nate Hybl was there and stepped in, getting two bowl wins, and a conference title. Landry Jones stepped in fro Sam Bradford, and although he didn't win a conference title that year, he did help snap of streak of losing bowl games.

It's irritating to watch Knight. He doesn't have a quick release. If he has to be in the run game - as with TCU - we see he gets gimpy. And, it wasn't the first time he was injured running. There were times last year as well. He's not like Nate Hybl, whom you could hit with a truck and he'd get up.

Plus, there was the cramping issue when he runs, the baloney we were given after putrid TCU beat us. What the hell good is a "running quarterback" who can't take hits and cramps up if it's more than 70 degrees outside and he has to run the ball more than five or six times?
    We also had Kendall Thompson at QB before he decided he didn't like how things panned out and so he transferred. I'm sure the other programs run into the same kind of deals with their QB's as well.

Kid's don't appear to be willing to gamble on waiting for their "turn" and instead go find somewhere else to play if they feel like they should or could be starting somewhere.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

What I saw Saturday was a win. The reason we love college footall, is how unpredictable it is. Texas ALWAYS has the talent, it has been the coaches that either not have them in condition or work ethic. Looks like Strong is cleaning house.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Well maybe but is that a very real possibility? TK has started what, about 10 games now? After 10 starts I can't think of any QB we have ever had that the perception of them has changed dramatically after we have had the benefit of seeing them for 10 starts, both good, bad and in-between.
    There are 2 things that QBs add every year they start -> More reads and more higher level throws. They typically start out being able to hit 1 read and 1 high level throw and finish out with 2-3 reads and 2 high level throws.

vCash

Here is the throw from Mayfield that is classic back shoulder

vCash

Here is the throw from Mayfield that is classic back shoulder
    I see that, but my question was do our coaches teach this technique? Or was Mayfield just doing what he learned at Tech and took advantage of a DB with his back turned? I see Tech QBs do this all the time, but I don't recall LJ using it much. With the PI rules called the way they are today, seems silly not to take advantage.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerwake's Avatar
    vCash

I think we start seeing some different receivers get some PT opposite Sterling. Stoops will never throw a player out there for bad play, but when asked about the possibility of trying some different guys out there, he was quick to say "yes". Have a feeling that Quick, Smallwood, and maybe Todd will see the field this Saturday.

I know it's been mentioned a million times, but I like what I saw from Bell across the middle. Finding the open spot, has the height to be a big target, has soft hands...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I don't get how people don't understand this after 6 games.
    I'm pretty much resigned to that at this point. It's obvious he isn't going to run with the ball. But that leads me to 2 questions...

1- Why even make it look like a zone read then?
    2- Why aren't there any zone read plays in the repertoire?

Bob Stoops needs to look around. The mobile QB is a part of today's game. I don't see any other teams taking great pains to weaken their QB by taking away his legs. Manziel ran. Vince Young ran. Tim Tebow ran. Nick Marshall runs. Marcus Mariota runs. Dak Prescott runs. Good god, man, even Bryce Petty runs sometimes. But no, we make our QBs stand in the pocket and run the same pass plays we have run for years with receivers that aren't up to par compared to previous years. It is mind boggling. We need to use what we have. If Trevor gets hurt, he gets hurt. I can live with that. I can't live with playing like we're scared that our QB is going to get hurt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I see that, but my question was do our coaches teach this technique? Or was Mayfield just doing what he learned at Tech and took advantage of a DB with his back turned? I see Tech QBs do this all the time, but I don't recall LJ using it much. With the PI rules called the way they are today, seems silly not to take advantage.
    Why do you think I was so excited when I saw in the spring. At this point, I'm inclined to think we don't teach it and he brought it with him from TTech.

vCash

Why do you think I was so excited when I saw in the spring. At this point, I'm inclined to think we don't teach it and he brought it with him from TTech.
    Then that's a coaching problem split between the QB and WR position coaches. Heck, I bet there are some HS teams even doing this now days. We owe our BCS title slot in '08 to this play - the one to Crabtree to beat the horns.

vCash

You were excited about the throw, or you are excited about Mayfield in general? He may have improved, but I don't remember the last time a Tech QB looked so poor in conference play.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerwake's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    I'm pretty much resigned to that at this point. It's obvious he isn't going to run with the ball. But that leads me to 2 questions...

1- Why even make it look like a zone read then?
    2- Why aren't there any zone read plays in the repertoire?

Bob Stoops needs to look around. The mobile QB is a part of today's game. I don't see any other teams taking great pains to weaken their QB by taking away his legs. Manziel ran. Vince Young ran. Tim Tebow ran. Nick Marshall runs. Marcus Mariota runs. Dak Prescott runs. Good god, man, even Bryce Petty runs sometimes. But no, we make our QBs stand in the pocket and run the same pass plays we have run for years with receivers that aren't up to par compared to previous years. It is mind boggling. We need to use what we have. If Trevor gets hurt, he gets hurt. I can live with that. I can't live with playing like we're scared that our QB is going to get hurt.
    Which is funny cuz Stoops stated in his presser today that in recruiting he's looking for QBs with the ability to do both, run and pass.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You were excited about the throw, or you are excited about Mayfield in general? He may have improved, but I don't remember the last time a Tech QB looked so poor in conference play.
    The throw. TTech employs 2 types of routes that are incredibly hard for defenses to defend - the option route and the back shoulder throw. Of the 2, the back shoulder is 10x harder to defend because you basically have to bracket every receiver who runs a vertical.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerwake View Post
    I think we start seeing some different receivers get some PT opposite Sterling. Stoops will never throw a player out there for bad play, but when asked about the possibility of trying some different guys out there, he was quick to say "yes". Have a feeling that Quick, Smallwood, and maybe Todd will see the field this Saturday.

I know it's been mentioned a million times, but I like what I saw from Bell across the middle. Finding the open spot, has the height to be a big target, has soft hands...
    Quick was actually in a fair amount on Saturday. He also saw a few plays against TCU, so the coaches must be feeling more comfortable with him in the offense. So, on Saturday we saw:

Shepard
    Neal
    Bell
    McNamara
    Flowers
    Young
    Quick
    Smallwood
    Ripkowski
    Ross
    Perine

Those guys all ran at least one route in the passing game. If you take out the TEs/FBs/RBs, that's 5 different receivers. I'm not sure the problem is with getting new guys involved in the passing game. I think it's with execution in general. Knight went 12-20 Saturday, and there were 3 passes that weren't caught that should have been. If he would have gone 15-20, then I don't think anyone could question his ability (in the passing game).

The bottom line is we need the guys that are in to play better. Our O-line didn't do very good Saturday (and Darlington had one of the worst games he's had as a Sooner). The good news is that the players realize the issues. They just have to be better all the way around.