Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

So what do we know about this team?

Offense
    1. We have 1 threat - Sterling. He is our best short threat, reverse threat, deep threat, and threat to take the ball a long way.
    2. We have no one who can stretch the middle of the field. Our best middle threat is Bell in the 15 yard range.
    3. We are weak at guard. Not strength wise, but execution wise. They miss blocks consistently which really hurts our run game.
    4. Our QB is showing signs of the "sophomore slump". Yes he is throwing some bad balls, but even when he throws a perfect one it gets dropped

Defense
    1. We can't get a bounce to go our way. I don't think I've ever seen a unit get bit so many times by call reversals or loose balls bouncing right back to the other team. Seriously, the last 2 games have been ridiculous.
    2. Our safeties are busting coverage at an alarming rate. When you have a linebacker and a corner screaming at safeties to get a man, you have some issues. They are basically non-existent in run support until back are 10 yards down the field.
    3. Our linebackers are just frustrating. Jordan Evans has a lot more Travis Lewis in him than Rocky Calmus (its an upgrade, but gah). So many times where he just takes the play off it isn't even funny. Alexander is another sophomore slump nominee, he is just invisible out there. I liked what I saw out of Bond and Franklin from an effort perspective.
    4. Tapper belongs on a milk carton
    5. Sanchez - as much grief as everyone wants to pile on him, he continues to produce INTs. Just like with Gabe Lynn last year, coaches will put up with a lot of issues if you can get them the ball back.
    6. Our defense is on the field way too much

Special Teams
    1. Ross should win some award this year
    2. Sterling doesn't have the knack for punt returning
    3. Barnett seems to be channeling the same problem as Knight - how can a guy be so good during the Sugar Bowl and so meh during this season? That last punt is just a microcosm of what I see out of him - 23 seconds left, if that ball hits the ground its game over. So you kick it into the end zone? grrr.

Summary
    This team reminds me a lot of the 2001 offense with the 2002 defense -> a bunch of mismatched parts at the wrong stages of their careers. It doesn't mean they can't win a lot of games, it just means that it is going to be a struggle.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Re: So what do we know about this team?

Same s.hit... different shovel

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

There was a quote on LT (off color, of course) that summed up this game before kick-off. "I'm only 3/4 erect for this game". I kind of felt the same way before this game, after last week. I thought we would win, but I figured I witness the same frustrating struggle that is lacking signs of improving week to week. In CFB, if you're not getting better, you're falling behind because everyone is improving. But sometimes learning comes in spurts instead of gradually, so maybe we'll see that out of this team. Needs to come next week.

Simple. Any fan who still thinks this team can challenge for the National Championship is delusional.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    Simple. Any fan who still thinks this team can challenge for the National Championship is delusional.
    "Fan"attics are often delusional.

BOOMER!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

We know that offensively this team has no dynamic or identity. Defensively they were somewhat overrated but they are certainly good enough to keep us in games.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

We apparently have a better defense than Baylor.
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    We know that offensively this team has no dynamic or identity. Defensively they were somewhat overrated but they are certainly good enough to keep us in games.
    We aren't overrated we just can't get them off the field. Sometimes we are too aggressive.
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

But Baylor only gave up 7 points to TX.
    In all fairness we were whiney bitches long before OU rammed it up our cornholes, and long before Macks losing season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
    Texas fumbled on the goal line.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers View Post
    And 44 thru 3 Qts to TCU

Sooner Starter
    vCash

We are a middle-tier team, not great on offense or defense. We need a possession receiver like Broyles and should give Maysfield a chance at some point if we aren't going to run the QB.
    "If you don't agree with gay marriage, blame the straight people. They are the ones that keep having gay babies."

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Bias View Post
    We are a middle-tier team, not great on offense or defense. We need a possession receiver like Broyles and should give Maysfield a chance at some point if we aren't going to run the QB.
    Where you been man? Mayfield is ineligible.

vCash

That is a little harsh. We are INCONSISTENT on offense and defense. On any given day we could be #1 or #25.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I was looking at next year on Maysfield.
    "If you don't agree with gay marriage, blame the straight people. They are the ones that keep having gay babies."

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Middle tier to me would be Clemson,Nebraska,Wisconsin,UCLA, possible Notre Dame,Arizona. With what we have seen so far jkm, do you think we could hang with the Auburn,Miss State and FSU's of college football? I think the way we played TCU says maybe, but there are a lot of missing pieces.

vCash

Middle tier to me would be Clemson,Nebraska,Wisconsin,UCLA, possible Notre Dame,Arizona. With what we have seen so far jkm, do you think we could hang with the Auburn,Miss State and FSU's of college football? I think the way we played TCU says maybe, but there are a lot of missing pieces.
    Yes and No. It depends on which OU team shows up

Sooner Starter
    vCash

I was looking at next year on Maysfield.
    Mayfield...not a spell checker but you did it twice...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    Mayfield...not a spell checker but you did it twice...
    Well, I should get credit for getting Notre Dame right?

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Well, I should get credit for getting Notre Dame right?
    lol
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"