Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

Re: What does Trevor offer that none of the other QB's can do?

Oh and to be clear, JH is doing this team no favors at all!!!!
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    One of two things here. Either the coaching staff is completely stupid and have no idea what they are doing or they are playing calls based on the lack of confidence in what the qb can do. With the d of the last two opponents stacking the line and daring us to throw and the majority of first downs being called a handoff to perine I'm thinking it's the second. Look, you like to watch tape, yes there were a couple of dropped passes today, but go watch him throw, the receivers have to stop their routes to turn and catch the ball a bunch. one was in the dirt on a 4 yard pass, another was behind the receiver on a 3rd down play that would have easily been a first down if he didn't have to stop to catch it. Both of Bells receptions required him to jump and reach and he's not a short guy. Not to mention the throw into the stands that was meant for an open receiver running down the sideline. Even one of the coach's put his arms out wide in a WTF posture.
    54% for the season
    under 16% on third down
    I don't know how you can pretty that up???
    1) receivers have to stop their routes a "bunch" - You can't put this into the bad category because sometimes this is a good thing. If you throw it so that a WR doesn't get leveled and drop the ball, then that is a win. Second, he has issues on 1 type of route (the slant). It wouldn't even be noticeable if that wasn't the main route in our route tree.

2) The ball in the dirt - okay, bad throw

3) behind the WR - Honestly, I thought that was his best throw of the day (well it might have been a bit too hot). He threw it to Sterling's back shoulder which if he catches it the defender can't make a play. He throws that one in front of him and the defender can knock it out.

4) The throws to Bell HAVE to be high. The problem is that Bell only has the footspeed to go 10-12 yards down field. In order to get it over the linebackers you'd have to take way too much speed off the throw if you get it lower as it would be in an arc. That would allow the safeties to come up and put a hit on Bell. I thought these were decent throws.

5) Missing an open receiver isn't the end of the world, everyone does it.

As for the confidence statement - are you sure the coaches don't have faith in Knight? Or might it be that they are not confident that the intended target would be Sterling? Remember if you send 3 guys into the route against 6 DBs, someone can be bracketed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Realistically speaking, he should have been 15/20 for about 200. When receivers drop perfectly thrown balls, there isn't much you can do. I'm also not exactly sure how you can blame a QB for a WR running a 4 yard route when you need 5 yards for a 1st down.
    Does that count the 2 nice snags Bell made? Only good throw that I recall that was missed was the pass through Young's hands
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Does that count the 2 nice snags Bell made? Only good throw that I recall that was missed was the pass through Young's hands
    As I said, that is a function of having to get it over the LBs and underneath the safeties given how shallow Bell ran the route

vCash

1. (slant)
    OK so lets say that's the ONLY throw he can't seem to make. That should be enough to take a look at someone that can right? That is a throw that a college QB has to be able to make...PERIOD. Again, what is he doing that none of the guys behind him can't? Tell me it's his feet, fine then use his feet but of the things they are doing, what is he doing so much better than anyone else?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    1. (slant)
    OK so lets say that's the ONLY throw he can't seem to make. That should be enough to take a look at someone that can right? That is a throw that a college QB has to be able to make...PERIOD. Again, what is he doing that none of the guys behind him can't? Tell me it's his feet, fine then use his feet but of the things they are doing, what is he doing so much better than anyone else?
    1. I agree with you that if the QB can not throw the staple route in our offense then we need a different QB.
    2. In the spring there was only one QB who COULD throw the slant - Baker Mayfield

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

There is that missing 3. again - the suspense is killing me

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

1. I agree with you that if the QB can not throw the staple route in our offense then we need a different QB.
    2. In the spring there was only one QB who COULD throw the slant - Baker Mayfield
    Mayfield can sling it. I think Trevor needs some type of fire lit or competition to wake up. Last year was Blake... And then Trevor wanted to step up. Also he has no confidence... In himself or in the receivers not named sterling
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

You keep harping on the game planning, but what on earth do you do? Seriously, go to a one WR jumbo set? If you don't have the johnies and the joes, the x's and the o's aren't going to matter.
    When something ""ain't working you either change it, or go to the grave with it, (glad we changed some things up offensively in the Sugar Bowl)

1st, I get rid of most of this late audible communication and if Heupel can't get the play called in a decent amount time, go with the play called and just huddle up some of the time and run the play. It appears that defenses are just adjusting after these late calls are sent in. Sometimes I'd even give the appearance of an audible and go with the original play.
    It seems we're not confusing the opponents D and only confusing TK and our especially our OL. (It would be interesting to have the info on % of these late audibles that are actually working and gaining positive yardage and also the % of missed blocks that our OL is missing with these late audibles vs the % of the blocks missed when the play is just called and run as such) "squirrels swimming and fish climbing" is an analogy someone used in a previous thread.

2nd. I'd get some of these younger taller WRs some game playing time in the 2 and 3 wr spots and actually throw it to them to see if they're gamers. Some may be Jimmys and Joes. It sure can't get any worse that it is now.

3rd, if that's not an acceptable option, I'd ditch this 3 WR set completely to a 2 WR set with 2 backs with some deception play designs, and motion one of them out , when we need a 3 WR set, and also use Bell some as the 2nd back.

4th if a play works, I wouldn't just ditch it in file 13 for the rest of the game, perhaps run it later to the other side.

5th with a downhill 7 or 8 in the box, I certainly wouldn't run some slow developing reverse (or double reverse, depending on how you look at it), perhaps a fake off it, but not the reverse, ever.
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 10/11/2014 at 06:03 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The TT transfer has something but he can't play

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

You keep harping on the game planning, but what on earth do you do? Seriously, go to a one WR jumbo set? If you don't have the johnies and the joes, the x's and the o's aren't going to matter.
    OK fair enough but where do does the ultimate blame lay in our failure to put a dynamic offense on the field?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    When something ""ain't working you either change it, or go to the grave with it, (glad we changed some things up offensively in the Sugar Bowl)

1st, I get rid of most of this late audible communication and if Heupel can't get the play called in a decent amount time, go with the play called and just huddle up some of the time and run the play. It appears that defenses are just adjusting after these late calls are sent in. Sometimes I'd even give the appearance of an audible and go with the original play.
    It seems we're not confusing the opponents D and only confusing TK and our especially our OL. (It would be interesting to have the info on % of these late audibles that are actually working and gaining positive yardage and also the % of missed blocks that our OL is missing with these late audibles vs the % of the blocks missed when the play is just called and run as such) "squirrels swimming and fish climbing" is an analogy someone used in a previous thread.

2nd. I'd get some of these younger taller WRs some game playing time in the 2 and 3 wr spots and actually throw it to them to see if they're gamers. Some may be Jimmys and Joes. It sure can't get any worse that it is now.

3rd, if that's not an acceptable option, I'd ditch this 3 WR set completely to a 2 WR set with 2 backs with some deception play designs, and motion one of them out , when we need a 3 WR set, and also use Bell some as the 2nd back.

4th if a play works, I wouldn't just ditch it in file 13 for the rest of the game, perhaps run it later to the other side.

5th with a downhill 7 or 8 in the box, I certainly wouldn't run some slow developing reverse (or double reverse, depending on how you look at it), perhaps a fake off it, but not the reverse, ever.

1. I think this is just assumed by this point, but I'll never fault someone for saying it again

2. Conjecture, we really could be that bad. Woods getting hurt early in the season was probably our biggest loss of the year

3. I like this. Put Ross into the Finch role. I'd be down with that.

4. This is kind of a double edge sword. We tried this today with the reverse and then the double reverse. I agree that Josh has some issues with calling plays based on his abilities instead of Trevors, but he also is guilty of trying to do this too much.

5. What you have to ask yourself is Why? Our problem offensively is that we really have nothing to make a defense honor the middle 1/3 of the field but the running game. Safeties are playing deep and wide on us to stop the fade routes and the linebackers are just slamming into the box. The reverse is a decent option for the linebacker problem as they get caught up in the wash. Basically the reverse that went for 30 was trying to do the same thing as the throws to Bell. Push the linebackers back.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    OK fair enough but where do does the ultimate blame lay in our failure to put a dynamic offense on the field?
    Our weaknesses are:

1. QB
    2. WR
    3. OG
    4. TE

So it lies with those coaches.

1. Josh has really only recruited one all big 12 QB at this point (since Bradford was Chuck Long convincing the staff) and that is the much beloved Landry Jones.
    2. I always find it hard to fault a coach for graduating dynamic seniors and not having much in the cupboard, but our WR recruiting has sucked outside of transfers and jucos.
    3. No idea what is going on here, we have JRs and SRs here
    4. Not having a good TE here is just bad. Heck John Blake had good TEs.

vCash

I think that Bob needs to put Cale in the quality control mode in between Heupel and the game, and if Heuple gets beyond a certain amount of acceptable time, then it falls on Cale to call the play. I know that's a chitty deal for Gundy, but Heupel becoming a K. Wilson any time soon "" ain't happening nor does it look like Bob has the stones to replace Heupel in the booth (with the son-in-law situation and all, and he's in a no-win situation now with both his coordinators. Can't say that I blame him for not rocking the boat with Heupel and jeopardizing his 5 mil salary)

If we're actually that bad in the talent dept at WR, then there isn't any other option that I can see but to completely ditch the 3 wr sets, at least for the remainder of the year.

And I do agree about the middle 1/3 of the field, especially the 1/3 directly behind the linebackers. We're just not getting any respect there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    I think that Bob needs to put Cale in the quality control mode in between Heupel and the game, and if Heuple gets beyond a certain amount of acceptable time, then it falls on Cale to call the play. I know that's a chitty deal for Gundy, but Heupel becoming a K. Wilson any time soon "" ain't happening nor does it look like Bob has the stones to replace Heupel in the booth (with the son-in-law situation and all, and he's in a no-win situation now with both his coordinators. Can't say that I blame him for not rocking the boat with Heupel and jeopardizing his 5 mil salary)

If we're actually that bad in the talent dept at WR, then there isn't any other option that I can see but to completely ditch the 3 wr sets, at least for the remainder of the year.

And I do agree about the middle 1/3 of the field, especially the 1/3 directly behind the linebackers. We're just not getting any respect there.
    You want the guy who subs our running backs based on "feel" to call plays? His substitution patterns are a big part of why we never get anything going in the run game.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I remember when everybody acted like DGB wasn't good enough to make a difference for us in the NC hunt. It's only been a couple months, but it feels like ages ago now.

vCash

Several of the late audibles on first down ended up being a handoff to Perine over tackle for no gain. Explain that to me.

vCash

You want the guy who subs our running backs based on "feel" to call plays? His substitution patterns are a big part of why we never get anything going in the run game.
    Heh, I just threw Cale into the equation because he was a former QB and with Norvells past OC history, I'm not sure it would be much better at choosing a play. I really don't GAS if it's the waterboy, but it's going to be a chitty thankless job, and somebody's got to step up and do it. Honestly, If I was Cale I'd want to stay as far away from this fiasco as I could.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I remember when everybody acted like DGB wasn't good enough to make a difference for us in the NC hunt. It's only been a couple months, but it feels like ages ago now.
    Given that his specialty is going up for jump balls on the sidelines he probably would have been all we needed.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

How can (or should) this be a problem? Don't these guys need to be on the same page with regard to substitutions? Shouldn't play calls be tailored to the personnel on the field to utilize their strengths?