Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

This Shat aint' Right

Amazon contracts with Integrity Staffing Solutions for warehouse workers.
    Amazon requires that ISS "screen" workers for theft at the end of their shift.
    ISS does so with workers off the clock and taking c. 25 minutes per shift.
    Workers sue ISS.
    Ninth Circuit sides with workers.
    ISS appeals to SCOTUS

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/08/amaz...day_americans/

Salon is left-wing site, yada yada.

Wing Nut Daily makes no mention.
    Ditto Faux News.
    Would love to read a conservative opionion piece to balance Salon.

Are you with Amazon/ISS, or the workers getting screwed out of a half hour per day?
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Re: This Shat aint' Right

My 1st thots are I wouldnt stand in line **** em. If i worked for a company that didnt trust me then I would find another job,
    On the other hand the workers knew what was going on when they took the job . so either quit or deal with it.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

By law, workers get paid for time flying or driving between work sites. Fly to Washington DC, Dallas, or San Francisco to visit a job site? Get paid for the flying time and work time at the site.

Therefore, I also side with the workers in that if they're required to stand in line for this bag check for theft or whatever, the company should be required to pay them.

Now, if they were salary and not hourly, this would be a different situation.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Suing one's employer prolly won't end well. Neither will the theft.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

probably just cheaper to let them steal

sounds like a sure fire way to find the best and brightest employees.

i'd be very surprised of a ruling going the other way.

RLIMC, is there any dispute you wouldn't side against labor on? how long is too long to be stuck at your employer without getting paid?

vCash

The employer is one's boss. If somebody is unhappy with a perceived grievance, he should deal with the employer. That is, discuss it with them. A lawsuit is an invitation for a sh*t-throwing exercise. Firings can happen.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Yermom pls see PM.

vCash

There's several things in this case that makes it an odd duck, one that you likely won't see too often at other places...

1- Amazon contracts temp agency, instructing them to bag search every night
    2- Temp agency complies, but in a cheaply done way that takes a lot of time every day, adding up to hours of lost time per employee every week
    3- Temp agency employees sue temp agency

Soooo... this is barely employment to begin with and it's employment by proxy, with an added unpaid annoyance at the end of every day.

I would not be surprised if SCOTUS makes a ruling that gives a little to each side. Yes, you can require a security screening before/after work day, but it can't take longer than X among of minutes per day, or time will be compensated.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    The employer is one's boss. If somebody is unhappy with a perceived grievance, he should deal with the employer. That is, discuss it with them. A lawsuit is an invitation for a sh*t-throwing exercise. Firings can happen.
    so they can just fire you at whim? i can't imagine the lawsuit is how the confrontation started though...

there are laws to protect against things like this

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    so they can just fire you at whim? i can't imagine the lawsuit is how the confrontation started though...

there are laws to protect against things like this
    Depends on whether or not the state is an "at will" state. One would
    think that the employees tried to talk to the temp employer to be fairly
    paid for the extra half hour or so. I can see both sides of this, get another
    job, if you don't like what's going on and/or be compensated for job
    requirements. I think the 9th Circuit got it right, if they said to pay the
    people for the time. And, IMO, this isn't a lib/con thing, it is what is right
    and/or fair....

vCash

Ill bet theres a Lib or Union (Same thing tho ) agitating this .
    Hell if its UP to 30 minutes a day that says it NOT that long on average. even at 30 minutes your only talking 2.5 hours a week
    Deal with it or change Jobs
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    There's several things in this case that makes it an odd duck, one that you likely won't see too often at other places...

1- Amazon contracts temp agency, instructing them to bag search every night
    2- Temp agency complies, but in a cheaply done way that takes a lot of time every day, adding up to hours of lost time per employee every week
    3- Temp agency employees sue temp agency

Soooo... this is barely employment to begin with and it's employment by proxy, with an added unpaid annoyance at the end of every day.

I would not be surprised if SCOTUS makes a ruling that gives a little to each side. Yes, you can require a security screening before/after work day, but it can't take longer than X among of minutes per day, or time will be compensated.
    The employees didn't dispute the decision to require screenings, just that it was on their time.

One option is to add more screening lanes so workers could be through in 5 minutes instead of 25. That could be more cost-effective than paying the workers for the 25 minutes. Amazon and/or ISS see it as "free" labor now, so no need to do a cost-benefit analysis.

Of course it's not free labor, just off-loaded.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Hell if its UP to 30 minutes a day that says it NOT that long on average. even at 30 minutes your only talking 2.5 hours a week
    Having the courts run American business, especially by micro-managing, is, well, kind of horsesh*t.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    The article used the vaunted "as much as XX or more" phrasing. I wonder if that linguistic abomination made it into "Word Crimes." It should have.

When I had kids at home, 25 minutes a day would definitely have been a big deal to me.

I wonder if the coal miner's Union is feeling particularly Liberal these days . . .

More epicycles!

vCash

What will the coal miners do when the coal industry is completely destroyed?

vCash

Employees could argue that if they're in the building waiting to be screened, they're still working, even if it's minimal, even if they appear to just be standing in line doing nothing work-related. A simple phone call to the boss while standing in line "Ya boss I took care of that order?" Work. Looking around the warehouse to see if everyone's computers are logged off for the night? Work. Counting the number of DVDs left in the giant stack to ensure inventory is correct? Work.

What will the coal miners do when the coal industry is completely destroyed?
    Make Twinkies

vCash

This also goes to a bigger issue. The laws allow an exempt status for exclusion of overtime laws for certain professional employees. Most of us are probably in that category.

Companies started abusing this to get around the law. Now the person checking you out at the grocery store is probably now considered an exempt professional.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    This also goes to a bigger issue. The laws allow an exempt status for exclusion of overtime laws for certain professional employees. Most of us are probably in that category.

Companies started abusing this to get around the law. Now the person checking you out at the grocery store is probably now considered an exempt professional.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Goes along with "at will", neither of which helps the working guy/gal
    but management/companies/bosses/corporations, you know, those
    that worship at the "Citizens United" memorial...sure helps them...
    Awww, I know, I kinda like the "little" guy/gal...sorry...