Sooner Benchwarmer IGotNoTiming's Avatar
    vCash

Cool Keep seeing the word "liberal"...

thrown around this place like it is a bad thing...
    Word Origin and History for liberal Expand
    adj.
    mid-14c., "generous," also, late 14c., "selfless; noble, nobly born; abundant," and, early 15c., in a bad sense "extravagant, unrestrained," from Old French liberal "befitting free men, noble, generous, willing, zealous" (12c.), from Latin liberalis "noble, gracious, munificent, generous," literally "of freedom, pertaining to or befitting a free man," from liber "free, unrestricted, unimpeded; unbridled, unchecked, licentious," from PIE *leudh-ero- (cf. Greek eleutheros "free"), probably originally "belonging to the people" (though the precise semantic development is obscure), and a suffixed form of the base *leudh- "people" (cf. Old Church Slavonic ljudu, Lithuanian liaudis, Old English leod, German Leute "nation, people;" Old High German liut "person, people") but literally "to mount up, to grow."

With the meaning "free from restraint in speech or action," liberal was used 16c.-17c. as a term of reproach. It revived in a positive sense in the Enlightenment, with a meaning "free from prejudice, tolerant," which emerged 1776-88.

In reference to education, explained by Fowler as "the education designed for a gentleman (Latin liber a free man) & ... opposed on the one hand to technical or professional or any special training, & on the other to education that stops short before manhood is reached" (cf. liberal arts ). Purely in reference to political opinion, "tending in favor of freedom and democracy" it dates from c.1801, from French libéral, originally applied in English by its opponents (often in French form and with suggestions of foreign lawlessness) to the party favorable to individual political freedoms. But also (especially in U.S. politics) tending to mean "favorable to government action to effect social change," which seems at times to draw more from the religious sense of "free from prejudice in favor of traditional opinions and established institutions" (and thus open to new ideas and plans of reform), which dates from 1823.

vCash

Re: Keep seeing the word "liberal"...

Ya missed the correct definition LOL
    from the Urban dictionary

liberal
    Liberal is a person with liberal views. However, an EXTREME liberal is the WORST type of person. To start with they brainwash people. Then they convince you that their pre made views they hand to you are open minded. They tell you to hate Republicans and everyone who thinks differently than you. They are the first to throw around the word racist. Most extreme liberal abuse minorities. They look for a group typically blacks or hispanics, convince them they are nothing and need the liberals to survive, then exploit them for political power. Extreme liberals are usually igorant but claim everyone else is. They pretend to be looking out for the people but are only looking out for themselves. Some day people will realize this is the truth.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Uh oh, I smell a "debate".....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Uh oh, I smell a "debate".....
    Naw, cause I DGAS lol
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Naw, cause I DGAS lol
    Not you, 8th will show up and agitate someone....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Not you, 8th will show up and agitate someone....
    Wheres my spoon? I need to do some stirring

Sooner Benchwarmer IGotNoTiming's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Ya missed the correct definition LOL
    from the Urban dictionary
    I stand corrected...lol

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by IGotNoTiming View Post
    I stand corrected...lol